Rover takes on water like Titanic - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Rover takes on water like Titanic

OKay not really but it annoys me nonetheless.
First - pudle on the drivers mat after rain. I have new series vent seals so where else could this be coming from?

Second - I get two puddles inside my truck right on the wheel wells below the alpine bar. I have a badger top with a gutter kit. Why why why!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2008, 12:55 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Water

Do a search for the word "ingress". There is a Land Rover manual posted that covers these issues.
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Looking at the guide now. thanks. I wonder if it is because I had my clutch cylinders done. How dyou you reseal the area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2008, 03:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can seal up around the clutch housing with some silly-cone if you need to, but its not a serious leak area. You might be getting water off the bottom of your door tops studs (though this usually just gets the door panel wet) or you might be getting an intrusion where the door seal comes down the windshield pillar and "rolls over" as it follow the body line. If the seal is badly pinched here, water will come right through.

On the alpine bow, it might be coming through the seam and soaking the piece that wraps around the alpine bar, but I've only had that happen on a really old bestop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Park indoors.
Old November 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

I thought it never rained in southern California
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The water on the drivers mat has to be coming from somewhere in the dash/clutch area because there is a water mark down the brake pedal arm. The puddles in the back are drips off the alpine bar which I have followed back to top around the rollcage (behind the doors). Not sure why the water rolls along the roll cage. That leak bothers me the most because I have a gutter kit.

It doesnt rain much in LA but when it does. . . Besides I am preparing my truck for armegeddon.
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:38 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Can you post pictures of the areas? I'm a little confused how the alpine bow leaking has anything to do with the gutter kit.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old November 27th, 2008, 09:09 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I will post some shots. There are no holes in the top by the alpine bar so I a assuming it comes in at the doors and rolls along the roll bar?
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:56 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

No idea. I've never had that problem with my Badger top even with the gaps around the roll bar.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 24th, 2009, 01:21 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

you ever find out where this was coming from - mine does the same when you hose the car down and less so when it rains.

i'm more worried about long term rust issues than anything else.

seems to be coming in from the clutch pedal when the bonnet channel gets overrun with water. the vents seem to be sealing fine though.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I bought some 3m dum dum strips and sealed the clutch area. It is better but now I have a leak through one of my sun visor screws.
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
How the heck can you have a leak through a sunvisor screw? do you have a fiberglass top on that truck?

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:09 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I am willing to bet that the puddle on the floor mat is coming from your driver's side door. Check it for rust spots on the bottom of the door.
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:15 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

NO clue how it is coming through the sun visor screw but it is. Badger on the truck
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:19 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

This doesn't make any sense. Maybe your header bar has a gap or there's a defect in the windscreen gasket?

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:51 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, unless your visor screw is so long that it stabbed a hole through the top, its only dripping from this area. Do you get this problem when you are driving or when the truck has been sitting? It doesn't make much sense for it to happen after sitting because you'd expect the top to shed the water. If it happens when you're driving, check the fit of the top into the header rail, its possible to have a section of the stiff plastic piece not go into the rail and just get bent. Also, like Tyler said, check the seals on the header rail.

First check the integrity of the top, it would suck if something had rubbed through it or there was some other little hole from something, but you should eliminate that as a source first.

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It only started recently while driving. We had some heavy rains the last couple of weeks. I lost interest in finding the source when I got the 110. Of course the 110 has weird leaks too. The floors under every matt are wet. I took out the load matt in the back and the floor was wet. No clue how it got wet or how long.
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:08 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If its while driving then it has something to do with the header bar most likely. Its easy to take off - just take the top off, and unscrew the 6 screws that attach the header bar from the top. Once you get it off the source of the leak will probably be obvious. Its easy to put a piece of weatherstripping on there and seal it back up.

The 110 has so many different and interesting ways to leak - bad sealant in the gutter channels, perished alpine window gaskets, rust behind the bulkhead blanking plates, etc.

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Barry,
I was on your end of the continent this weekend. Wasn't expecting to see so many D90s.
Saw a nice green one in Santa Monica, and white one in Hollywood. Of course I had to stop by and see John Lee and Ho

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water