Rover Inspection Help in UK Please?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 10th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Rover Inspection Help in UK Please??

Hi all! I have been conversing for sometime with a very nice chap across the pond regarding purchase of his 61 Series IIa. He is near Norwich. My intent is to purchase and bring this baby over here. I am in a bit of a bind as I am waiting on my passport as I intended on going over to look at it prior to paying for it. The passport wait is a bit much and the cost of flight is more $$ that I will certainly need for repairs. I am primarilly concerned with the bulkhead and chassis condition and then secondarilly the engine and trasnmission mechanical condition. Does anyone know of an inspection service over there, or is anyone interested in doing an inspection? Certainly I would compensate someone for doing this as I realize the time and costs associated with it. I it a little funny and ironic since I just did this same thing for a friend of my brothers who was buying a vehicle here in SE NC. Any suggestions are greatly apreciated. Thanks!!

Jeff
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

Hello,

I'm a bit far from Norwich so cant go see it for you.

I have just had a look around and found a company called car checkers : www.car-checkers.co.uk , they may be able to help.

Might be worth asking if anyone is in Norwich on some of the UK land rover forums, sure there is someone who would love to help. Try: LROi forum . There is a Series 2/2a forum there too.

Best regards

James
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:39 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

they have series IIa's here in the US. Sorry to sound like a dick, but seems crazy to go over there when you can get one here. There is nothing overly unique with a IIa, that you have to fly 1/3 of the way around the world then pay a few grand to ship it here. The amount you will spend going there and back plus shippiing, you can find one here for about that amount. To each there own
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2005, 03:29 PM
ashtrans
Dave Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Hi all! I have been conversing for sometime with a very nice chap across the pond regarding purchase of his 61 Series IIa. He is near Norwich. My intent is to purchase and bring this baby over here. I am in a bit of a bind as I am waiting on my passport as I intended on going over to look at it prior to paying for it. The passport wait is a bit much and the cost of flight is more $$ that I will certainly need for repairs. I am primarilly concerned with the bulkhead and chassis condition and then secondarilly the engine and trasnmission mechanical condition. Does anyone know of an inspection service over there, or is anyone interested in doing an inspection? Certainly I would compensate someone for doing this as I realize the time and costs associated with it. I it a little funny and ironic since I just did this same thing for a friend of my brothers who was buying a vehicle here in SE NC. Any suggestions are greatly apreciated. Thanks!!

Jeff
you can try contacting Steve at JSF Landrovers in Norwich, phone number + 44 1603 787064, maybe ask the guy to take it there and pay JSF for a couple of hours to give it a good look over,

Dave
Old October 10th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Thanks guys! Appreciate the info. David, you don't sound like a dick at all! I totally agree. However, thus far have had absolutley no luck at all locating a reasonable priced series 2a with the 2.25 DIESEL engine, which is what I really want. They are all gasoline here in the states, at least that is all I have seen thus far. If anyone knows differently, please let me know. And yes, the diesel is no powerhouse, but I really liek diesel engines and have always wanted a LR powered by one. Thanks~!~
JBR
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:43 AM
d90Monkey
James
1995 D90

Couldnt you buy one with a gas engine and replace it with a new diesel engine for the money you would spend on shipping? Just a thought.
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Indeed, even a a used 2.5 NA doesn't go for that much. As far as the price of Series rovers, they are always inflated IMO. You can either talk them down, grin and bear it or walk away. The same trucks are always on LRX and for ages.

EwS
Old October 16th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Thanks for the idea's guys, perhaps I should check into this a little more thoroughly. All of the used series I have foudn here in the states seem to be in the 4-5k range, equiped with 2.25 Gas. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. I will give LRX another try. Thanks again! All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Any ideas on sourcing a 2.25 or 2.5 Diesel engine over here?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
inspection