Rough Road Sensor?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

Rough Road Sensor??

is there such a thing?? supposedly sits at right front area near wheel.....affects ecu too....

that's what the shop told me....this is the reason why my CHECK ENGINE light is on...

is that true???

-dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2005, 03:16 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Yup, it's only on the '97's. Typically the wire leading to the sensor is the culprit. Clean and check the wires, add some dialectic and reseat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

This is my fist post to this board, though I have been lurking for a while, so here goes:

(ahem, ahem)

SEARCH.

How was that?
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to be a d#ck, I've just noticed that you guys are pretty sensitive about rehashing old stuff, to the extent that I haven't posted some questions I've had (and found what I was looking for later by searching). So I figured I'd drop a "search" on somebody as my first post. Just fooling around, but there is a lot of info on the rough road line fault if you search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, the search function had been down for a while, is it working again now?

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Usually if your sensor/wiring is OK, the ECU will cycle and the light should go off. Or you could pay the 125 to hook up and have it cleared. Once a year I'll hook up to the testbook and see what is going on if anything.

They should print the results for you. Ask for them.

EwS
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:02 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

cool....

thanks, guys...

ps> would this be affecting my engine idle? performance??

-dan
Old March 10th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

the way it was described to me is that the ECU thinks you have ABS, which you don't, because the rough road line is something to keep ABS from acting up. So it shouldn't affect your idle or engine performance.

But I'm new to this, so I could be way off.
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:05 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Here's the deal as I'm having the same trouble. Infact I bought David M.'s old ECU (thanks again David), thinking it would solve my trouble... it didn't. I had a tire come off while driving and this has left the "rough road sensor" on. I have had the code cleared but it ususally comes back on the same day. Like Matt said, it is because the ECU is the same on they used in the Disco, which has ABS. So your truck thinks it has ABS even though it doesn't and there is a problem with the sensor so check engine light is on. It will not effect the performance of the truck in any way except maybe burn out your check engine light. I have been working with my mechanic to see about fixing this issue. He mentioned something about talking to LRNA and them telling him to pull the computer and put it in a Range Rover because of some advance capabilities and that he can then reset it? I don't know something crazy like that, anyway... I be sure to keep you posted as I am about to push a little harder to get it taken care of. Hope that helps ease your mind about the performance issue.
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:50 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

thanks dave,

do you think this may have came on because the shop just installed new OME shocks and springs? possible? since i did NOT drive it hard, or hit any bumps...

-dan
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:55 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I doubt it, I never heard of something like that due to changing the shock and springs. But you never know... who ever installed it could have droped the truck of the jack stand or something. Although highly unlikely. Was the check engine light not on before you had the suspension changed?
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

From the D90-Source FAQ:

Quote:
Subject: Re: [D90] Anybody know about the Rough Road sensor?

The function is just to let the ECU that you are in a off-road condition
I.e. one wheel spinning. This prevents a check engine light from
illuminating from a small misfire or a minor hick-up type condition
It lets the ECU know that wheel speed varies so that it doesn't pick up that variation through the crank sensor and interpret it as a misfire and hence illuminate the MIL. Off road speed variations are sufficient to vary the crank rotational speed. Since the primary monitoring for a misfire is done at the flywheel with the crank sensor alternate causes of speed variation need to be monitored.
So if the sensor stops working it causes the light to illuminate. VERY common issue with these vehicles, don't worry about it. In reality, unless the check engine light is flashing I wouldn't pay much attention to it.
If you are worried about it, just stop by AutoZone and pull the codes to make sure it isn't anything serious.
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:53 AM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Dan, here's what i know on the abs rough road sensor, code p1317. Beleive it is Drive cycle C. Meaning once cleared it will come back on the third start if code is present...could clear itself but would require completing a drive cycle which has stops, starts, speeds and timing parameters. On my 97 i metered all of the abs sensors to determine which one was faulty. Turns out my front left was open. A properly functioning abs sensor should have a resistance around 965 ohms installed and around 1k in the bag. Mine had a busted wire at the sensor. The fronts are on the inside fender wells and the rears are side by side on the right hand frame rail. Disconnect and meter each one. If one is defective and you replace it..the check engine light will eventually turn off by itself. hope this helps...pm me if you need more detailed info...jeff
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:53 AM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

i c.....

thanks.....

gosh, didn't realize how tempermental rovers were.......but then again, it sure beats a boring honda.

thanks again, guys.

-dan
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:42 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Mine has it too. The Check Engine light comes on and off every once and awhile.

The downside to this condition, as the FAQ says, is that the ECU may catch an engine misfire code while off-roading, even when none exists. Some states will fail you on the smog test.

The problem is a bad speed sensor, or one that needs cleaning and/or re-seating, or the wiring to the sensor.

BTW, for less than $125 you can buy your own OBD2 reader and clear the code whenever you want.
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:31 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

great 411 guys...

thanks...

ps> anyone know the price of a new sensor?? along with a new water pump?? = cost??
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:36 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

dan, break out the credit card and welcome the world of land rover, i paid 260 for my sensor and 150 for the pump...have seen both of these on ebay for much less...so shop around unless you gotta have it now...jeff
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:10 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

lol....
yup......just got it done.....

dang.....expensive hobby i just got myself into...lol......but hecka fun...

thanks, boys.

-dan
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:52 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Just to add my 2 cents...

I got the rough road sensor replaced and then it came on again...yak. I just broke down and bought an OBD2 scanner and reset it. Just to make sure it was not really an engine misfire I checked my spark plugs and wires. I noticed that one of the leads on the one of the cables was a bit dirty while the others were very clean. I am wondering if this was really the culprit all along. Has anyone seen the 1317 error without having the rough road sensor trigger it?

Thanks,
Thomas
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:10 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Clean your antilock brake sencors and reinstall make sure the air gap is correct. If you have a bad sensor it will throw the 1317 code. I did alot or research on subject. You can test them, I did ,I posted how I did it a while back.

I don't know how to do a link to a previous thread, or have the time to figure it out right now
Good luck.
Old January 15th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Cholla
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW

Smile Rough Road Sensor Fault Resolution

Hello to all at the D-90 site! This is my first post to this invaluable forum. Thanks much to all for their contributions!

After two months since my last attempt to repair about two years of repeated P1317 Rough Road Sensor Fault, it appears, knock on wood, that my problem with this is solved.

This fault has been on/off so many times I can't count, and after trips to the dealer, independent LR shops, replacing rear ABS sensor(s) loom and rear connector plugs, coating with dielectric grease, as well as removing/replacing misfire detection computer to clean pins and coat with dialectric, replacing fuse under dash, this problem persisted. I also had the wheels and rotors pulled to see if there was mud/corrosion/damage to the reluctor ring that this sensor reads off of. During testbook analysis, this same repeated code came up: P1317 open line fault RR sensor. That's when I replaced the rear 2 sensors and loom.

(By the way, to be able to read this ABS additional data, the tech had to punch in an VIN#(dummy) from a Discovery I to enable testbook to troubleshoot ABS system on my 97 D-90). Still this fault pesisted with "check engine" fault light going on/off every 2/3 weeks.

I searched and reread all posts I could find relating to this, finally found one thing I had not done-removing the front ABS sensors from swivel balls, cleaning and recoating with the special grease that comes with these sensors. After having this done, and clearing codes, for 2 months now, no fault codes at all! Knock on wood!! I hope my saga with this item might be of help to others here....

Thanks much to D-90 site for a fine forum!

Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sensor