Rough idle, stumbling, dying.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Rough idle, stumbling, dying....

Hey all.. Got some symptoms I'm hoping you all can help me with. 1994 D90.

In the last three days or so, my 90 has developed a rough idle, hard starting and stumbling at low RPM's. Occasional missing at when I'm under 2000 rpm while driving around. (I sound like a commercial for snake oil)
It was cold today and it took a few minutes for me to get it to start.. crank, stumble, wouldn't rev, died.. repeat.. crank, crank, crank, nothing.. finally it caught and roared to life..

So what could cause this in one day? What should I check? What would YOU check?

New rotor, cap, wires, plugs, and air filter three months ago.

This weird stumbling/loss of power has been a recurring on-off gremlin for the past few years and it always seems to change shape a bit but here it is again in its newest guise.

thanks for any tips / help! Happy New year!!

~Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

sounds like fuel related as well.

have you ever changed the fuel pump or fuel filter?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
never changed the pump, but the filter yeah, oh about 8 years ago.. guess I'm due.

I was thinking it was maybe the filter..

thanks for the idea!
~Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

A new coil helped me with this problem - the hard start and poor running. Lots of issues can contribute, though.

Still, my truck suffers the occasional sudden cut-out. Sometimes it is related to hitting a bump. Something must be loose somewhere.
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:17 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

check and clean MAF wire
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
check and clean MAF wire

The other day I pulled it and replugged. My guess would be something like that is often the culprit. This weekend I will clean the connecting pins.
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:37 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

the disclaimer would be that I know about as much as a drunk tree frog... and mine is a tdi...

BUT it was doing the same kind of thing and it turned out that the last time the timing belt was changed (not long ago thanks flatiron rover) they failed to tighten it down properly so the timing had gotten off a bit... idled like crap and would die... (something else on your list to check)
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
UPDATE..

replaced the fuel filter.. (rusty fittings.. rounded brass shit... two days of penetrant soaking.. microtorch on the fittings.. yeah.. typical rover shit.)
lots of crud came out of the old one, and the engine seemed to run stronger then I remember. But after about 5 minutes of the engine being at temp, the rough idle began again, and it really wouldn't even hold an idle. Above 1800 rpm or so it runs fine.

So its like I thought earlier, it only seems to occur when the engine is hot. perhaps the heat causes a leak in the fuel rail so at low rpm's it wont run? Any fuel injector items on top of the engine that after soaking in the engine heat for a few minutes would leak at low rpm pressures causing me this?

Any other ideas?

thanks alot guys, boards like this help keep our rovers alive!! (or stumbling along at least! : )

~Steve
Old January 10th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Happyxhour
Robert
94/Defender

I have a 94 Def90 with a host of problems related to this issue. I had some issues with the car stumbling at idle low RPMs and dieout after engine is warm and dying at stop sign and taking a minute to restart and fire. Mine was hard to produce and after talkng to Phillippe at Roveland we got it to reproduce turned out to be O2 sensor ready to fail. Also swapped the ignition system as the stock unit was shite.

Good luck finding the issue!
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Robert pointed out a gremlin that can cause hot-start & running problems: A failing ignition module. The module is on the distributor so is susceptible to heat & vibration. Land Rover makes a kit to relocate the ignition module off the distributor.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...nitionmod.html

If you think this could be your issue then I have a kit that I am selling. I had it on my rover for a couple weeks before deciding to replace the distributor with a Mallory Unilite.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle