Rough Idle After New Oil Lines - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2007, 11:12 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Rough Idle After New Oil Lines

So with all of the talk about Defenders spontaneously combusting, I decided to have my oil lines replaced. I took them to a local hose shop as has been suggested on the board, and 2 days later for $120, I had some pretty nice stainless lines. I futzed around getting them back on the engine, and at first couldn't get the plate between the engine and the filter tight, but ultimately I got it all back together with no leaking. Then the oil light was on but plenty of oil was on the dipstick. I noted that whatever little sensor is on the oil pump was getting a little smashed by the new lines, so I loosened the sandwich plate, rotated it a little to get the lines off the sensor, tightened everything, topped off a little oil and the oil light went off.

Now the engine is idling a little rough. It seems like it is nice and smooth and then it clunks and stumbles before returning to a smooth idle. When I tool around the neighborhood with RPM's around 2000+, it runs fine. The problem is only when the truck is idling which is at about 800 RPM's.

1) What's the problem?
2) Do I trust it enough to drive it 2.5 hours on a snowboarding excursion tomorrow?

Thanks for any help!
-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2007, 12:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The first thing you need to check is whether your oil pump lost its prime.. How long did you dive it? The truck will run with no oil circulating, but not for long...

Its easy to re-prime the pump by pulling it off any packing it with vaseline, but you'll need a new gasket to reinstall the pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 20th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Make sure that you do not have any kinks in the oil lines. Are you running teflon hoses with SS mesh sleave? Is the I.D. of the new hose the same as the original hose?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Its easy to re-prime the pump by pulling it off any packing it with vaseline, but you'll need a new gasket to reinstall the pump.
You can re-prime the oil pump 93-95 by taking the large nut off the side of the pump bases and packing that with vaseline as well. A little fidly but I think its easier than dealing with the gasket and those sometimes seized in place oil pump base bolts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:32 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

I think that the pump must not have been primed. I left it over night and some oil must have magically made it's way into the pump. It has run fine since then, and I am excited that with my new oil lines, it is unlikely that I'll have an external combustion engine any time soon. As a side note if anyone needs this done in the Portland, OR area, Peterson Industrial Products did a great job for $120. www.pipcohose.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle