Rough acceleration when Hot... won't restart if I stall her - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

Unhappy Rough acceleration when Hot... won't restart if I stall her

Evening all,

I've done a bit of research but most of the threads a bit old so wanted to see if new ideas where "developed" since then

94 D90 3.9L V8 R380 w/ Mallory Dizzy

When engine is cold, no problems.. starts and runs smooth as a baby's butt... (with chicken pox that is)

As I get stock in traffic.. being from DC that's likely to happen at 3am as it is at 5pm...

As the engine gets hotter, the rougher the start off becomes. As in put her in 1st gear and I have to rev it up more to cause it from stalling since she sputters and the truck just jerks hard until revs go up. But once rolling, no issues. If i'm stuck too long in traffic, and I stall her, then she won't turn on until I wait a good 10-15 minutes.

When this symptom starts, if I just rev the engine, absolutely no problems.. it's only when I try to drive off... so basically when the load is on her to move.

Since I'm able to gas it in neutral and it shows no signs of dying, that is throwing me off... So what am I missing?

The engine never gets hot enough to show red on the temp gauge... since my electric fan kicks in correctly at the right time

Some posts have found:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14031

O2 sensor ready to fail
Do I just replace them?
Failing ignition module.. doesn't apply since I have a mallory distributor

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24975

Bad spark plugs?
Replaced 2 years ago, how often to replace these?
Bad mallory resistor? Bad cap? Bad coil?
Replaced all of them last fall when she wouldn't start after terrential downpour (different post)

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23890

Rebuild your Distributor and fresh plugs with the correct gap?
Distributor cap is new, but Plugs are exactly 2 years old
Sea-Foam every 2k?
Loose sparks plugs?
haven't looked at this yet to be honest :/

Thanks for any inputs

~Jij
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Betcha coil has leaked it's coolant and needs replacing. What you are experiencing is classic end of life symptoms for the coil.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:10 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

If the coil checks out it could be running rich as you said it seems fine before the engine warms up. Do you get a puff of black smoke when you rev it after it warms up? If so check for a loose hose on the fuel pressure regulator. Could also be leaky injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:46 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I would also guess failing coil, but perhaps also a partially blocked cat? You're not throwing any codes?
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:59 PM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

The coil is fairly new.. but won't hurt to change it out...

But isn't the coil used the same way when just hitting the gas when in neutral as when I'm in first gear? So if it was the coil, wouoldn't I NOT be able to rev the engine?

I am throwing a code.. 68, but that's because my speedo went dead.. and just haven't had time to take a look at it.

And no puff of black smoke.

@Joshua, how would I check the cat? I'm a dog person myself (Sorry.. couldn't resist.)

~Jij

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, start