Rookie question... How to determine if my truck is lifted or not. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Rookie question... How to determine if my truck is lifted or not.

Bought the truck from a guy, that had no idea what he had. I have been around Rovers for a while and had other defenders but none lifted. For whatever reason this truck seems to sit higher.

Currently on the truck, there are 285/75/16 ProComp Xterrain tires on stock 16'' wheels. Measurement from the ground to the bottom of the door sill is 22'' (Stock Door Sills) no sliders.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Those are larger than stock tires so there is a good chance. What springs are in there? Have the shocks been replaced? New shock mounts for longer travel or stock mount looking?
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Springs a pear stock, that is what I am trying to figure out (if the springs are stock or not) they are black. Shocks are Bilstein. Shock mounts look stock as well.

I basically just want to put back 265/75/16 stock BFG tires on. But worried that the truck may indeed be lifted and it will look odd..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

A stock LR spring will have 2 paint brush stripes of some color(s) on it. Somthing like yellow and white. If you can see those on the spring you can post the colors you see and we can tell you if they are stock or not.
Doesn't help if someone has painted over the colors over the years, or if they rusted off, but if you can't tell by looking it is a start. You can also post pix. It is pretty easy to spot a stock looking rig.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:32 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Confused. You want to put a winch bumper on but at the same time want stock suspension and smaller tires?
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Sure Kevin. A.K.A......Mall Cruiser
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:35 AM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Haha yes weird.... Here is my reasoning/logic....

I feel with the stock tires/wheel set up driving it daily will be more comfortable or at least noise wise....the tires on the truck are rediculously loud. I'm not objected to keeping larger tires or putting larger tires on the truck. In the long run I am not trying to take away from the classic look of the truck.
As for stock suspension, I really don't see what adding lift is going to do for me around this area and the amount of off roading I do around here. (I also have an 04 disco with 3" lift etc that is my trail beater, lockers winch etc etc). My thoughts are that the stock winch bumper won't look like over kill to have on an essentially stock truck. In my mind if I am offroading with stock suspension, have decent tires and a winch I should be ok. Doesn't a lot of driving really come to skill?
I have had an essentially stock disco 04 until its modifications and pushed that truck stock to some unbelievble measures that trucks with plenty of modifications would get hung up on or were driven with lack of skill...
Either way, not sure what direction I am going with the defender, I've had two other defenders both left stock but were garage queens, this one is going to spend more time in the woods!

Hope that helps with the confusion...if it didn't confuse you anymore..haha

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR
Sure Kevin. A.K.A......Mall Cruiser
Funny...I guess all the non lifted defenders I drove in the Rangers and Baghdad were "Mall Cruisers" too...
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Keep the lift and just change out the tires. You could pick up a cheap set of wheels and put on another set of tires. I think a small lift actually improves the look. Having aftermarket springs will keep it level with a winch upfront too.

Old July 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23
Haha yes weird.... Here is my reasoning/logic....

I feel with the stock tires/wheel set up driving it daily will be more comfortable or at least noise wise....the tires on the truck are rediculously loud. I'm not objected to keeping larger tires or putting larger tires on the truck. In the long run I am not trying to take away from the classic look of the truck.
As for stock suspension, I really don't see what adding lift is going to do for me around this area and the amount of off roading I do around here. (I also have an 04 disco with 3" lift etc that is my trail beater, lockers winch etc etc). My thoughts are that the stock winch bumper won't look like over kill to have on an essentially stock truck. In my mind if I am offroading with stock suspension, have decent tires and a winch I should be ok. Doesn't a lot of driving really come to skill?
I have had an essentially stock disco 04 until its modifications and pushed that truck stock to some unbelievble measures that trucks with plenty of modifications would get hung up on or were driven with lack of skill...
Either way, not sure what direction I am going with the defender, I've had two other defenders both left stock but were garage queens, this one is going to spend more time in the woods!

Hope that helps with the confusion...if it didn't confuse you anymore..haha

Follow-up Post:

Funny...I guess all the non lifted defenders I drove in the Rangers and Baghdad were "Mall Cruisers" too...
Yeah, I was being a wise ass. But I think that the extra wieght on the front end with bumper/winch combo might be a little taxing on stock springs over the long haul. If you have decent tires( large or small) the ride shouldn't be horrible. I just drove a 110 with SSR's and it drove and felt very nice. Not joking here.
If you're running BFG muds, then that's a different story. Those tires get rock hard after a bit and are actually useless off road. Just my .02.
If the truck is maintained properly, a mild lift should not be that noticeable on the road.
Takes ECR's advice and look for the colors on the springs, or better yet, post a pic.
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR
Yeah, I was being a wise ass. But I think that the extra wieght on the front end with bumper/winch combo might be a little taxing on stock springs over the long haul. If you have decent tires( large or small) the ride shouldn't be horrible. I just drove a 110 with SSR's and it drove and felt very nice. Not joking here.
If you're running BFG muds, then that's a different story. Those tires get rock hard after a bit and are actually useless off road. Just my .02.
If the truck is maintained properly, a mild lift should not be that noticeable on the road.
Takes ECR's advice and look for the colors on the springs, or better yet, post a pic.
Haha I knew I was going to get some hate soon as I posted this thread, especially here. But I agree with you, with the front bumer/winch combo will add some extra front weight, thus pulling the front end down. I am trying to come up with the best combo to get the most out of the truck!
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Park on a flat and level surface. Then measure the height of the springs. Report back. I'll let you know if you have a lift or not.

IMO, 90s do not need a lift, ever. People do it because the internet tells them they have to. I prefer stability over the extra clearance. Now a 110, that needs a lift.
Old July 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
90s do not need a lift, ever. People do it because the internet tells them they have to.
Wow, what an idiotic generalization based solely on your own opinion.

I have a lift in my 90 beacsue it is required for the tire size and places I want to go with the truck. What others say about the lift has nothing to do with it.

Do what makes you happy with your own truck. Don't listen to the internet morons who tell you the way thing "must" be.

Old July 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Thanks for calling me an idiot. Interesting how you managed to leave the "IMO" out of your quote. These kind of things make you look very unprofessional.

Tire size and spring lifts have little to do with each other.
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

So, what you're saying is that someone with a bone stock truck with 265's will go everywhere that a truck with a lift that allows more travel and any size tire over stock will go.? So it's ALL driving ability.

Is that what you're saying? I'm just trying to clarify and see where you're coming from. Because in the world I live in, a stock truck will not go where a truck with 35's will go, not even close, based solely on driver skill.

??....maybe you have different( flat?) terrain where you're at?.. dunno...

Why doen't this guy just post a pic of his truck and we can let him know if this thing is lifted or stock. The pissing game is lame.
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
These kind of things make you look very unprofessional.

Tire size and spring lifts have little to do with each other.
"unprofessional"???
Are you a professional forum poster??? I'm not, never claimed to be a professional at posting on an internet chat board. Wouldn't want to be a "professional" at that.

You can put the IMO back in if you like.
Its still a stupid comment to tell someone that no one needs a lift, and the only reason anyone to does it is because the internet tells you to.

Lots of people do need lifts for lots af various reasons and a lot of those reasons and 100% valid. Hell, even if you just want it for looks it is still a 100% valid reason.

Tire sizes and spring lifts have everything to do with each other BTW. In a lot of cases in order to fit the tires you want you have to work on the suspension in order to make everything work together.

Old July 4th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You do not need a lift to put on larger tires. 35s fit on fine with the stock ride height. Spring lifts do not affect tire clearance. A lift is there solely to gain clearance over obstacles. IMO.......the reduced stability in climbing steep stuff is a bad trade off for a lift in a 90. If you have a longer wheelbase truck, it is a different story.

I stand by my comment that people put lifts on 90s because they are "told" to, not because they have found the "need" from their own experience. Everyone is "told" that they must have a lift.... I'm saying figure it out for yourself. When you wheel, are you limited by clearance? Are you constantly hanging up on obstacles? That is where the decision should lie.

By professional, I refer to the fact that you represent a company and the way you act in public affects your company image. You have a choice to act like an adult or go around name calling, your choice. I'm happy to openly discuss the technical aspects of things and the reasoning behind my opinions. There is no need to be rude. Do you act this way in public?
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:14 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

and the last time you ran 35s on a stock 90 was.....????
It doesn't work for crap. Tried it. Have you? or do you just have a stock truck and have convinced yourself it is "the best".

In my truck with a large lift it still hangs up on the chassis everywhere. In fact that is the only real problem with the truck. The next truck I am building now will help solve that issue with chassis alterations. Where I go a lift is required. Not desired... required, as I don't like winching everywhere.

Yes, when people say stupid things that they really know very little about in public, I'll tell them they are being dumb to their face, and only when people get caught out making silly comments do they try and bring out the, "you can't say that, you own a company" card. Its a really lame way to try and get your point across IMO.

So to back to opinion that you have of stock being the best, how many lifted trucks have you built and tested to form your expert opinion?

So guys like Buck can go run the Hammers with a stock 90 and win... right???

Gimme a break.

Old July 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
It doesn't work for crap. Tried it. Have you? or do you just have a stock truck and have convinced yourself it is "the best".

In my truck with a large lift it still hangs up on the chassis everywhere. In fact that is the only real problem with the truck. The next truck I am building now will help solve that issue with chassis alterations. Where I go a lift is required. Not desired... required, as I don't like winching everywhere.

Yes, when people say stupid things that they really know very little about in public, I'll tell them they are being dumb to their face, and only when people get caught out making silly comments do they try and bring out the, "you can't say that, you own a company" card. Its a really lame way to try and get your point across IMO.

So to back to opinion that you have of stock being the best, how many lifted trucks have you built and tested to form your expert opinion?

So guys like Buck can go run the Hammers with a stock 90 and win... right???

Gimme a break.
Last time out we got an XJ through Sledgehammer on 33's. Of course, at the start of the day it was a nice clean rig, at the end, it looked like this:

Guy had an awesome attitude, but the truck was literally scrap metal after that trip.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
I have 34s on my 90 ATM with no lift. I have friends with 35s and no lift. A lift has nothing to do with tire clearance. Tire clearance is based on suspension travel which is a separate point from a "lift" which simply sets ride height. I've run enough and with enough other modified trucks to be happy with standing behind my statements. If you would actually like to discuss the technical aspects and defend your opinion, I'm happy to oblige.

No I have not built a bunch of trucks. I don't have the time or money. I do, however, design, build, commission and operate equipment worth 100s of millions of dollars and am quite capable of understanding the principles of something as simple as a Land Rover suspension.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I have 34s on my 90 ATM with no lift. I have friends with 35s and no lift. A lift has nothing to do with tire clearance. Tire clearance is based on suspension travel which is a separate point from a "lift" which simply sets ride height. I've run enough and with enough other modified trucks to be happy with standing behind my statements. If you would actually like to discuss the technical aspects and defend your opinion, I'm happy to oblige.

No I have not built a bunch of trucks. I don't have the time or money. I do, however, design, build, commission and operate equipment worth 100s of millions of dollars and am quite capable of understanding the principles of something as simple as a Land Rover suspension.
Why are you being unfair about this? I know you, online anyway, and your a lot smarther than this. Lift may not have anything to do with tire clearance, but it has a lot to do with uptravel and belly clearance. Both very important. Not everybody wants to cut thier trucks like I did in order to fit big tires and very little lift.

And, lifting these trucks does not have to make them less stable by any means. You ever seen the roll axis angle of a stock Defender? You can go 5in high and keep things very stable of you know what your doing. Anyway, your original statement about never needing a lift of any kind is rediculous.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions