Rookie question... How to determine if my truck is lifted or not. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
By stability, I'm talking about flipping on steep climbs and descents. Easy enough to do with the short wheelbase trucks, IME. This is my preference as I stated, stability over clearance. I'm not talking about lateral stability as my discussion was only on this particular wheelbase.

Belly clearance is, I'm sure, an issue with the wheeling that you do. However, anything close to a stock 90 is not the right type of truck for that (again IMO)......... And to clarify, I'm talking about close to stock trucks. Ones with highly modified suspension or wheelbase changes are a completely separate subject. I'm taking about your basic 90 with or without larger tires and whether or not a spring lift is required or desirable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
By stability, I'm talking about flipping on steep climbs and descents. Easy enough to do with the short wheelbase trucks, IME. This is my preference as I stated, stability over clearance. I'm not talking about lateral stability as my discussion was only on this particular wheelbase.

Belly clearance is, I'm sure, an issue with the wheeling that you do. However, anything close to a stock 90 is not the right type of truck for that (again IMO)......... And to clarify, I'm talking about close to stock trucks. Ones with highly modified suspension or wheelbase changes are a completely separate subject. I'm taking about your basic 90 with or without larger tires and whether or not a spring lift is required or desirable.
Okay,

That makes more sense, but your still not being reasonable, imo. On a 93in wheelbase, 37's are about perfect. You put 37's on with no lift, I actually have tried it, and you have zero uptravel even with heavily cut fenders. That leads to unbalanced travel, which leads to.....instability. And having a suspension that doesn't unload on steep climbs is more important than wheelbase in a lot of situations.

There is nothing wrong with a 2-3in lift on these rigs. And, I would argue that a Defender on 35-37's can do some of the toughest rockcrawing in the world as long as the driver is very good, the skinny pedal is used in moderation, and body panels are ignored.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Jesse R. ran the hammers with an OME 2in lift, LTR shocks and an SG drop kit and dual ARBs with stock axles -- on 33x12.50s. Sometimes less is more.
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Jesse R. ran the hammers with an OME 2in lift, LTR shocks and an SG drop kit and dual ARBs with stock axles -- on 33x12.50s. Sometimes less is more.
Look at the pic I posted in this thread.

33's can do the "Hammers" but not most of the trails, and not without it taking the entire day and a lot of winching, just to get through the easier ones. I have no doubt he got through, but "ran the Hammers" is probably generous.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:09 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Yes, but jesse made it through without significant damage. That truck is still kicking. Not sure how much he did. Mike H and I did hell's revenge in Janey the stock 110 (not that it is hard or anything, but still).

BTW PM me your address for a check or paypal for the brake drum.
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I also think 35s are as big as you should go with 93" WB. I've wheeled with Heeps with 37s and I don't think the longitudinal stability loss is worth the tradeoff. Up travel is adeqaute with 35s (IMO of course...). I agree it is not with 37s, but then,you should have more WB, IMO.....

I did mean to state it in a way as to bring on discussion and used words that I thought would incite.... I really do believe too many people just "do what they are told" and don't "do what THEY need".

I will thus update my statement that lifts are not needed on 90s unless you don't like steep climbs to the limit...
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Yes, but jesse made it through without significant damage. That truck is still kicking. Not sure how much he did. Mike H and I did hell's revenge in Janey the stock 110 (not that it is hard or anything, but still).

BTW PM me your address for a check or paypal for the brake drum.
Did you get it and are you happy with the condition?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
In my truck with a large lift it still hangs up on the chassis everywhere. In fact that is the only real problem with the truck. The next truck I am building now will help solve that issue with chassis alterations. Where I go a lift is required. Not desired... required, as I don't like winching everywhere.
Since you "could" build whatever you want, I would suggest a bobtailed 110 on 39 and Volvos (with no lift ) would better suit the type of wheeling that you do.
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Since you "could" build whatever you want, I would suggest a bobtailed 110 on 39 and Volvos (with no lift ) would better suit the type of wheeling that you do.
110 is too long and heavy. Volvo axles are not strong enough and create too much leverage on link components. Plus, it would be too tall, 5in of lift provided by the Volvo axles is way too much for 39's.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:30 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Drum looks fine. Not sure what you think is wrong with it other than the outside of the drum is scratched/scored.

Ron

PS I <3 volvos. I should have never sold the set I had. 38 x 11.50 boggers on volvos on a 110 would be the perfect wheeling rover for me. I am not so sure they are that weak. It has a hypoid diff and with upgraded internals I bet it would be ok. There was one team running them about 5 years ago, but I am not sure how that went. Probably too tall for competive rock crawling, but the set up would be great for slippery, muddy trails back east.
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Drum looks fine. Not sure what you think is wrong with it other than the outside of the drum is scratched/scored.

Ron

PS I <3 volvos. I should have never sold the set I had. 38 x 11.50 boggers on volvos on a 110 would be the perfect wheeling rover for me. I am not so sure they are that weak. It has a hypoid diff and with upgraded internals I bet it would be ok. There was one team running them about 5 years ago, but I am not sure how that went. Probably too tall for competive rock crawling, but the set up would be great for slippery, muddy trails back east.
Just the scoring on the outside. But it sounds like your good with it.

Volvos arn't that weak, I was just being a pill. I don't think they are strong enough for me, but for most they would work well.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:55 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

It is a scientific fact that pink defenders do not need lifts. What does ECR or Buck know anyway? Any man that can wheel a pink truck can make blanket statements as long as the blanket is pink as well.

Follow-up Post:

EDIT: This is not to say that either Buck or ECR have the market on how to set up a rover but I have a great deal of respect for both of them given their experience. I felt that calling ECR out was especially sophmoric given the long littany of his rover accomplishments and outstanding reputation for the highest quality work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions