Roof Racks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2013, 10:00 PM
redway77
Beatrix

Roof Racks

Ok, fist off I know my truck is huge and putting things on top of it requires me to be over 6ft which I am plus lots of effort involved with straps and what not. I know this. But I own 7 surf boards of various sizes most of which are long boards and stand up paddle boards. I also own a massive tandem touring ocean kayak. So the roof is the only option.
My question is will all rain gutter systems work with my 1999 defender? I would prefer Thule or Yakima and I don't want to pay full price so I've been searching Craigslist. Found a few just don't want to look retarded trying to haggle a guy and scratch the roof trying to get something to work. 50 in cross bars would work right? Any thing to avoid when looking for a cross bar system?
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2013, 10:05 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redway77 View Post
Ok, fist off I know my truck is huge and putting things on top of it requires me to be over 6ft which I am plus lots of effort involved with straps and what not. I know this. But I own 7 surf boards of various sizes most of which are long boards and stand up paddle boards. I also own a massive tandem touring ocean kayak. So the roof is the only option.
My question is will all rain gutter systems work with my 1999 defender? I would prefer Thule or Yakima and I don't want to pay full price so I've been searching Craigslist. Found a few just don't want to look retarded trying to haggle a guy and scratch the roof trying to get something to work. 50 in cross bars would work right? Any thing to avoid when looking for a cross bar system?
Thanks for the help.
Look on UK land rover parts sites
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
If you can find one, look for a used Hannibal rack stateside (GL with that though, I gave up after a year and settled for an NAS basket on top of the external cage)
We shall see how it handled multiple SUPs this summer, but anything beats stacking directly on the roof!
Those gutters will hold quite a bit of weight.

Maybe Safari Heritage can import some decent racks and do a group buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
do you want a cage or just cross bars?
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:31 AM
kylesrover
Kyle
97 D90 ST #1018

Front Runner racks out of AZ. Very similar to Hannibal and tons of accessories!! Frontrunneroutfitters.com

------ Follow up post added March 29th, 2013 09:33 PM ------

Plus they ship free to the lower 48
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Get a new Front Runner rack to fit your 110. You won't regret it. Easy to assemble and you can mount just about any attachment to the slots in the slats. Lightweight, rust free aluminum and low profile.

I have a 19' expedition kayak and the Front Runner rack has been great as I can get up and walk around on it when I need to secure it. I'm tall so I can imagine that this would be even greater benefit to someone shorter than me. Securing kayaks and surfboards can be a bit of a pain on tall vehicles like Defenders.

The Slimeline rack is welded as one piece: http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...R-110-p58.html
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:41 AM
redway77
Beatrix

Crossbars are fine as long at they stay on and support the weight for a three hour interstate trip to cocoa beach. I like the idea of a basket but I can't find that on Craigslist plus I would need the crossbars and towers anyways to mount it on. I don't have an external cage (yet). I want one but might be a few years till I get one.

------ Follow up post added March 30th, 2013 03:46 AM ------

Front runner slimline is nice I do like that! But come on a over a thousand. I was looking at $100 on Craigslist.
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:38 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Having had a roof rack fetish for over 25 years, I can say with confidence the Front Runner wind cheetah is the best all around rack system out there, but yes pricey. I really like the Hannibal and african outback but they are not, readily, available new in the US. Ezee awn is also a great new low profile rack: check Equipt Expedition's website for it

If you can swallow the initial investment for a wind cheetah, IMO, all the pre-engineered mounting components make up for the price.

Also, if you are looking at Yakama/Thule option, take a look at Front Runner's cross bar option, that may suite your need and they accept all their mounts. Equipt Expedition had blow out sale on'm not too long ago

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, roof, roof rack