Roof rack question... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2006, 12:42 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Roof rack question...

So I want a roof rack for my truck, but I don`t want the truck to be any taller, due to the fact that it is already tight enough trying to get it into parking garages. So I was thinking... I intend to order the Badger Half Cab kit next time I have $2300 burning a hole in my pocket, and I was wondering if anyone has ever built a rack that rests just above the tonneau portion of the half cab kit (like 4-6 inches above the tonneau). It is just wasted space otherwise, and would be sufficiently large to build a rack in. I was thinking that it could easily be supported by the points where the roll cage meets the body anyways. Anyone ever done this? Can anyone think of any reason not to do this? Anyone know of anyone who could build me such a rack? This could work with full tops too, creating sort of an extra shelf inside the bed portion of the truck

Any answers would be awesome. I appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2006, 07:56 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
What would you carry there? Soft or hard goods?
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:00 AM
javelinadave
-
-

That is my spring project. I had a 1/2 cab made by a local top shop and I made a 5 bar tonneau cover. I am going to mount the basket on the tonneau for some extra storage. I'll post some pix when I am done.
You may also be able to make some brackets to hold a Yack Rack from the sides of your bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Rover- Girl

Is this a garage in your house or a puplic "parking Garage" like you see with condos !!?? I had 2 have a roofrack aswell and had my hubby build me a seperate carport with a 6 foot privacy fence surrounding it.
I hated the thought at first and just didn't want to think about leaving my"baby" parked outside, however
it gave us alot more storage space in the Garage and more room to park the Bemmer.
The only pain in the butt is having to put the tarp on and off.
We will add a overhang this year, w/ was a tottal washout last year thanks to Katrina !!
Good luck
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:22 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Dave- Please definately post pics when you do it. Also, do you know how you plan to go about it? Do you know how you plan to support it? I obviously don`t know how your tonneau is set up, but with the Badger and how it is set up, I was thinking of trying to find a way to support it using the connecting points where the roll cage meets the body, that way no mods need to be made to the top. I`d want to be able to design it so that it can be used with the entire roll cage in place.

Also, parking garage as in I go into the city a lot (San Francisco, and soon to be Boston). My truck is already 6`9", so adding another 6" worth of rack just WONT work

I wish I had a hubby to build me a seperate carport.... Lord knows I`ll never get around to it otherwise
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Is this kinda what your talking about?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2458
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:47 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I`m thinking more of like a roof rack style rack, exactly where that spare tire is. I already have the Shrockworks carrier, so I am all set with the spare. But an actual basket, where that tire is, would be awesome.
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

See the rear bar on Dennis' truck? How about installing another one in the front and making a basket that pivots on the front one and locks down on the rear?

It will be above the tonneau. With hinges on the pivot points you can snap it off rather easily.

Should be very cheap to have one fabbed up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, roof, roof rack