Roof Rack Flooring - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:40 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Roof Rack Flooring

Did a search and didn't seem to be much on the subject. Looks like either everyone doesn't have any flooring or use something like the rhinopro system. Was looking at using expanded metal flooring, the mesh diamond shape kind, and was wondering what you guys would recommend as the minimum thickness? McMaster Carr is where I am looking and they have all kinds and its not expensive but want to make sure its usable. Ideally I'd like to be able to stand on it from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:16 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Here is a write up I did when I did it for my Discos rack. It will be a lot easier for a D90 rack as it doent have the 2 tier layout as the Disco rack does. I keep meaning to redo the write up for a D90 rack since Wicks sent over a pretty good diagram for the D90 rack but I have not gotten around to finishing it. Basicly the same procedure, just a bit simpler for the D90.

http://www.gotmud.org/flooring/index.htm

Follow-up Post:

Oh.. one note, if I was to do it again, I would order a sheet with larger diamond cells (larger holes). Mine was a tad tight on getting larger tie down hooks secured to sometimes.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:19 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I think it depends on where your actual supports are more than the expanded metal. You need to make sure your supports can hold you and stand near them. I think I'd go for a minimal thickness in stainless steel but make sure to get the metal with larger gaps so you can run straps or tie downs through those holes.

That's just my opinion. Depending on how you use your rack and what you're putting up there it may be better for you to use the smaller gap stuff. Either way, that stuff shouldn't flex too much if your supports are close enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:28 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I dont think the Stainless will weld properly to the rack but maybe someone with more welding experiance can add in on that.

Mine was not terribly thick and when I walked up there I usally stuck to walking on the x-members anyway even though I could stand in between x-members. It was mostly for improving support of cargo I put up there and giving me better foot support while up there rather than playing the balancing circus bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:35 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I was going to try to avoid welding only to make it so I could remove it if ever needed. I go to a fair bit of endurance car and nascar racing and was hoping it might be possible to shoot some photos off the top of the rack. I was considering using hardware to secure it to the rack bars and along the outside as well. Not sure if there is an obvious reason not to but figured its worth a shot and if theres a good one against it I'll find someone to weld it.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
If you're going to use expanded metal, I think welding is the best bet. I have the same flooring as Chris has on my D1 but I believe mine is 12 guage (maybe 14, don't remember) - and it's very sturdy. I say welding because, for one thing, it'll be more secure and once you have the floor, chances are you'd never want to take it off. And since it's the expanded metal kind you're going to use, it's not really blocking any view from your sunroof unlike a solid product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:16 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I went with welding to reduce the chance of wind vibrations as well.

Quote:
[/size]
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

You can weld stainless to other non-stainless stuff, so I hear, but from what I've gathered from the guys in the shop it's a PITA. I guess if you're going to paint it with the rubberized stuff Chris did (nice site btw) it shouldn't matter what it's made of.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:03 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

I have expanded metal flooring on my D90. I think it was like #9 or something, although I didn't think the measurement was gauge, but it could have been. I called a sheet metal supplier, told them what I was doing with it, and that's what they recommended. If I remember, the LR rack is almost exactly 4x6 ft, so I had them cut it to fit from an 8ft piece. It drops right in easy enough. I didn't get stainless, although probably should have. I just painted it black before I put it on.

Here's the cheesy part: I installed it with black plastic zip ties . This was over 2 years ago. I've recently noticed a bit of rattling from the flooring, and have been planning to take 20 minutes and re-zip tie it up, as I know some have broken off. And I walk all over mine without concern for the bars underneath. It flexes some when I manage to step in the middle of a open space, but still supports my ~200 lbs frame without issue. I would second that a larger spacing would be helpful for easier mounting of bungie cords and straps, but I still get buy just fine with this size. I had planned on cutting 2-3 inch holes at the bar intersections and just never got around to it.

Hope this helps.
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:57 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

What is the word on the RhinoPro. I had seen a post somewhere that was not good, but if others are using, I would like to get some feedback on the quality and durabilty of the product.
Thanks
Matt
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Talk to John at 4x4AG. He posts here quite often. I heard there were *some* issues with buckling under too much heat, but he's got it on his truck for about a year (maybe more) and it's been fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:01 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I've seen Johns and keep in mind, his is a Disco rack. I like the product and would think that with additional clamping than the product calls for, that on a D90 rack, would fair better than the warping we have seen on some Disco racks.

Quote:
[/size]
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Yes, I do like the product too. If I didn't have the current flooring on my Disco, that's what I would have. Also, if/when I get a rack for the 90, that's the thing I'd buy. Good point on the extra clamping.

Old February 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Joe Cole
Joe Cole
97 D-90

Check out disco web for the farmtek chiken coup flooring it is a great solution

1997 D-90
1997 XD
1999 DII
1999 DI
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Farmtek is great, I have it on my disco's roof rack and turned all the local guys onto it... We call it "chicken shit flooring" ..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, roof, roof rack