Roof rack clearance? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 5th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Dr Mark
Mark
None

Roof rack clearance?

I am trying to decide if I can fit a 110 ROW SW into my garage. The garage door is 7-feet tall. Looking to outfit the 110 with neutral springs (no extra lift) and 235/85 R16 tires. I would also like a low-profile roof rack. Questions:
1) will it fit?
2) What is the lowest profile roof rack? I have been looking at the Safety Devices Explorer vs the Front Runner Wind Cheetah Slimline. Is there anything better that remains low profile?

Thanks!
-M

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
I am trying to decide if I can fit a 110 ROW SW into my garage. The garage door is 7-feet tall. Looking to outfit the 110 with neutral springs (no extra lift) and 235/85 R16 tires. I would also like a low-profile roof rack. Questions:
1) will it fit?
2) What is the lowest profile roof rack? I have been looking at the Safety Devices Explorer vs the Front Runner Wind Cheetah Slimline. Is there anything better that remains low profile?

Thanks!
-M
1. without roof rack - yes - barely
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

I have a 1986 ROW 110 with a 7ft door and 235/85R16s and regular springs. My roof is the older style with ridges running from front to back, making it just a bit higher. The truck fits in with about an inch to spare.
I do have a full length OEM rack but I have to remove it if I want to park in the garage. I hope this helps. On this note, make sure the rack you choose will have enough clearance for those roof ridges if you have them. Many racks are made for the newer, low-profile roofs, and do not have sufficient clearance to fit properly.
Francois.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Dr Mark
Mark
None

Thanks for the responses. That's the answer I expected.
- How much work is it to take the roof rack on and off?
- How much work is it to install the rack the first time? I assume I'd be gutter mounting as I'm not planning for a SD exterior cage.
- What year did the 110 switch from the ridged roof to the flat roof? Is there a benefit to the flat roof? I've heard the flat roof might vibrate more at highway speeds...
Thanks again.
-M

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
The rack is very simple to remove and reinstall. You just need two people. The gutter mounting ones (Brownchurch etc) have4 clips/bolts on each side. Provided that none of the bolts are stripped or rusty, it is very simple.

I don't think you have a shot of getting the truck in the garage with a rack or basket. I had a 84 110 with stock springs and even without the basket it wouldn't fit in my garage (6'-8"). The brown church rack adds at least 8" with the sides. Baskets will add similar height. There are racks with lower sides and no sides so maybe look into those.

Others can tell you exactly what year LR switched from ribbed roof to flat, but I'm guessing it was mid 90s. Unless you're planning on installing a Safety Devices external roll cage, there's really no additional benefit to a flat roof (unless you want the truck to appear newer) both are the same in terms of strength and one doesn't vibrate rattle more than the other. Believe me, you wont be going nearly fast enough that even if one vibrated youd never notice it over the symphony of other disruptive noises at highway speed. Maybe the later flat ones are less prone to leaking? Anyone care to add to hat thought?

One more thing, if you don't have the truck right now, thee is no real standard "ride height" I'd trust on a 25 year old truck. Many have had replacement springs and/or sagged, so unless you can measure the truck.....
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Dr Mark
Mark
None

Appreciate your thoughts. I actually prefer the older look of the 110 so I definitely wouldn't pay more for a flat roof if it is purely an aesthetic difference... And I completely agree with needing to measure since most 110's are unlikely to be "stock" at this point. That's part of the fun with fixing it to how you want it, right?

Old January 6th, 2013, 10:09 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
My 1983 110 fits in my garage- unknown suspension, external NAS cage. I had the garage door adjusted so that it completely retracts. You were able to see the lip of the door in the past and those few inches made all the difference.

I would think a truck with anything more then the external cage wouldn't fit in a garage, or some parking garages either.
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
My 1983 110 fits in my garage- unknown suspension, external NAS cage. I had the garage door adjusted so that it completely retracts. You were able to see the lip of the door in the past and those few inches made all the difference.

I would think a truck with anything more then the external cage wouldn't fit in a garage, or some parking garages either.
Good point Alexander, garage door (lower edge) typically hang an inch or two below header height, depending on what type of track radius they run on. Check that clearance as opposed to the door opening itself, otherwise you'll be unpleasantly surprised.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, roof, roof rack