rolled over rover.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

rolled over rover....

o.k. so we wound up laying on our side, drivers side door down. a soft landing. Tires and rims being replaced tommorrow, the only causualty. My question is maybe silly, .... I am hoping that someone reads this who has also parked sideways and driven away after. Starting it up, I have checked fluid levels, all is good. Is there anything else I should be concerned with? anything I should be checking? As soon I realized the wheels were no longer in contact with the ground, I had shut the engine off... Started it briefly to move it off the tow. before I start it for real though I wanted to be sure that I dont over look anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2011, 09:59 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Any pics?
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have seen several truck on their sides...mostly discos. As long as you waited long enough to have the oil drain back down into the engine, you should be ok.

Tires and wheels are being replaced, because they were badly damaged? How is the body and cage? Is your truck a SW or ST?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Start it up. If it runs, your good. If not, pull the plugs and crank it for a while, then replace plugs. You will be fine.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I not only rolled mine but landed on the roof first before ending on it side in a ditch.. Lost a sh*% load of petrol. We pushed it back on its wheel and start it up. It needed a recovery truck to pull it out of the ditch and I drove it away. As other have said, let the oil drain back to the sump first and it should be alright. I do not get the part where you need the rims to be replace?
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:12 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

Skimmed a rock at the side of the road with passenger front wheel, peeled the edge of the rim making an aluminum pretzel. The loss of the front wheel caused the truck to drift off the road, lining the passenger rear wheel up the the same rock, cracked the rim, (both tires are blown). Tracking off road into snow, sucking the truck right up a snow pile. Gravity laid it on its side. I turned the engine off as soon as I realized the wheels were no longer in contact with the ground. The truck, back on its feet not even a scratch, just a fender crease from the tow truck cable, almost got away unscathed. I figured that as long as the fluid levels all checked out, all would be good. I just didn't want to find out too late that I overlooked something. I didn't have a chance for pictures, though local cable tv showed up for a video and interview. I haven't seen it air. I saved the pretzel.
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:23 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I assumed it happed out on the trails. Sorry man. OK then, pics of the pretzel.
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:41 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

Thanks for everyones comformation, It's always good hearing from experience. hoping to be back on the road in a few days.....
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:48 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I hate to hijack but I have always wondered the best way to right a SW after a flop on its side. It seems like a strap through the windows or to the cage would pull the roof off?
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
When I pulled my buddys jeep over we hooked the strap to the frame and pulled it right over.
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

attached is a picture of my pretzel. Righting the truck, from my little experience, tow truck and cables worked, but leaves marks... Next time I think tow straps and a come a long, live and learn...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my rim.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	34697  
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:56 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Let it sit like people said. if it doesn't start check your inertia switch and make sure it ok. it ifs tripped it will cut off the fuel pump. And it usually switches off if you roll or some close to rolling. I've tripped mine just driving on some super rough shit before.
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

check your battery compartment you may have lost some battery acid, if it has you need to flush it out.
often overlooked untill the battery is left hanging alongside the frame rails.

glad to hear you walked away from it anything else is gravy.

regards all
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:30 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttegt View Post
attached is a picture of my pretzel. Righting the truck, from my little experience, tow truck and cables worked, but leaves marks... Next time I think tow straps and a come a long, live and learn...
Wow that's awesome.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:38 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Start it up. If it runs, your good. If not, pull the plugs and crank it for a while, then replace plugs. You will be fine.
This is what we had to do with Abeer when he flopped. Blew alot of smoke since the cylinders filled with oil but was all good afterwards and drove it home.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions