Roll Cage Mounted Lights - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Roll Cage Mounted Lights

To mount lights to the top of the cage do I just drill out the mounts? Do I need to remove the threaded part or just drill it all out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2006, 08:24 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
lights should just bolt in the threaded mounts of the roll cage..
Old December 25th, 2006, 08:27 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

My hella's (FF 1000's) bolts are quite a bit bigger then whats up there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2006, 09:46 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I wanted my lights in a different position. So I got a flat stainless bar and drilled holes to attach it to the roll bar. Then I could drill the mounting holes in the bar at the desired position for my lights. That way you don't have to mess with
your original mounts.

You could also source individual light mounting brackets to attch to the roll bar attchment points, and just attach the lights to those. Such light brackets usually have holes big enough for any size lamps.
Old December 25th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleRedD90
My hella's (FF 1000's) bolts are quite a bit bigger then whats up there.
I believe the roll cage mounting holes for aux. lights are M8 threads.

Old December 26th, 2006, 01:07 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

Yeah, I think they are. But my hella's use 11.

I'll figure something out later... I'll probably just drill a bigger hole in the mounts. No big deal I guess.

Old December 26th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Just my 2 cents...if you drill them out, you can't go back. If you use M8 bolts, you don't have to modify anything...

Cheers...

Old February 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I jumped the gun and drilled out the mounts on my roll cage to fit some new Hellas. I didn't know they were threaded, had I know I probably would have kept it as is. Right now the Hella hardware sits way to close to the cage bar. The nuts can't spin because they hit the bar. I need to get them out and away from the bar. I probably should get some brackets to move them out and away from the bar. Any suggestions on what to do here? I thought of getting longer bolts but these flat and square T-bolts can't be found anywhere. Has anyone found any good individual mounting brackets? Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2241.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	24943  
Old February 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Just my 2 cents...if you drill them out, you can't go back. If you use M8 bolts, you don't have to modify anything...

Cheers...
X2...don't drill. Figure out a better way or just buy new lights. not worth it.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I appreciate the advice. I wish I had read it before I drilled them out. I didn't realize they were threaded. Now that I already screwed up, what's the best way to proceed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post
X2...don't drill. Figure out a better way or just buy new lights. not worth it.
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The problem with the roll cage mounts is that they only work with lights where the mounting bolt can rotate freely. On lights like Hella, the mounting bolt does not rotate because it has a square flat head. That is, if you have Hella lights, these mounts are useless because if you attach them they'll end up pointing in whatever arbitrary direction it happens to be in when the bolt tightens. I looked for replacements for the Hella bolts but they don't seem to exist. I want to stick with the Hella's I picked out so I'll probably have to fab a flat bar like Marc did or individual mounts.
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
not sure if I understand, but here goes...
if the nut will not fit just shave off two sides with a grinder so it will fit up in there, then spin the light around to tighten
if the bottom of the bolt is hitting your roof, then shim it up with some washers
kind of hard to diagnose/rig when not there
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Jon.

The first problem was that I drilled out the mounts before finding this thread. The 2nd problem is that the Hellas have very special bolts that can't be replaced. They have very thin, very wide and very flat, square heads that just about fits into the Hella light mounting bracket (that holds the light). When the bolt is in position on the light it cannot be rotated which means if I spin the light around to tighten it, it might end up facing backwards or sideways when it has been tightened (that is, if I had a threaded mount). The third problem was that the nut that is supposed to fasten the special Hella bolt is touching the roll bar so there's no way to spin it or even get a wrench in there. See picture attached above.

Long story short: don't drill out the roll cage brackets and if you have Hellas you'll probably have to get a bar to mount to the brackets to so that you can mount the lights to the bar.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham View Post
not sure if I understand, but here goes...
if the nut will not fit just shave off two sides with a grinder so it will fit up in there, then spin the light around to tighten
if the bottom of the bolt is hitting your roof, then shim it up with some washers
kind of hard to diagnose/rig when not there
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Pull out the hella bolt and put a new one in. It's not that hard. Doesn't fit? Grind the top down. Magic.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Pull out the hella bolt and put a new one in. It's not that hard. Doesn't fit? Grind the top down. Magic.
Couldn't have said it better myself. A bench grinder can be an invaluable tool!
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

You're a genius, Buckon 37s. I've looked at Mcmaster, etc for a replacement but nothing comes close. Besides, it doesn't solve the problem because I still have to move it over to get clearance from the bar. I'm going to fab a stainless bar to attach them to. I can then also run the wiring underneath of this bar.

Quote:
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
You're a genius, Buckon 37s. I've looked at Mcmaster, etc for a replacement but nothing comes close. Besides, it doesn't solve the problem because I still have to move it over to get clearance from the bar. I'm going to fab a stainless bar to attach them to. I can then also run the wiring underneath of this bar.
Grind down one side of the nut. Or re-tap the hole to a new bolt size and replace with that. Or drill a new hole and weld on a washer. Or cut off the tabs and weld on new ones.

Or don't run the lights because all they are actually good for is keeping you out of most parking garages. Unless you're a desert racer.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks MacGruber. I hope to be as handy as you one day. Haven't graduated to welding yet. Bracket is the best option for now. The Hella 550's don't make much of a difference in height. I am already kept out of most parking garages.

Quote:
Grind down one side of the nut. Or re-tap the hole to a new bolt size and replace with that. Or drill a new hole and weld on a washer. Or cut off the tabs and weld on new ones.

Or don't run the lights because all they are actually good for is keeping you out of most parking garages. Unless you're a desert racer.
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Thanks MacGruber. I hope to be as handy as you one day. Haven't graduated to welding yet. Bracket is the best option for now. The Hella 550's don't make much of a difference in height. I am already kept out of most parking garages.
I was thinking if you wanted to be superblingy, you could bolt on one of the desert light surrounds with the AL tube clamps. That would fix your issue and make it all purdy. More cash though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage, ht, lights, mount