Roll cage fabricators in NY/NJ area? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Roll cage fabricators in NY/NJ area?

Im looking to get a roll bar made for my 1983 110. Something basic that will go behind the truck cab and sit below the plane of where a soft top would be.

ECR informed me that the SD version would be around $1200, and im not looking to spend that on 20 feet of steel.

Any suggestions? im in 10925 orange county NY

------ Follow up post added January 20th, 2011 03:31 PM ------

Something as simple as this with possibly a cross support.

http://www.japanese4x4spares.co.uk/Roll-Bar01.jpg

------ Follow up post added January 20th, 2011 04:00 PM ------

OR the one from all wheel trim

http://www.allwheeltrim.co.uk/Images...es/rollbar.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2011, 07:20 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

If you think that a qualified fabricator/welder will be any cheaper, you are out to lunch my friend.
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Do you really believe that a cheap, off the shelf bolt on roll cage will really protect you and a passenger or your kids?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Concur with Carey. Matt at Rockware built the cage in my 110 SW which consisted of three hoops (behind driver, behind second row seats, and rear of tub), cross bars, and frame brackets and it was $2K+. To do it right, you need to tie the cage into the frame, so even with a single hoop, a couple down tubes, and brackets to tie back into the frame, I don't think a fabricator could do it for less than $1200.
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Yea im not looking to bolt it to the frame. My wheeling is very light, the 110 is a commuter vehicle.

Also I think a single hoop is plenty, I dont want a full cage on a pickup truck..it sorts defeats the purpose.

Ebay.co.uk must have at least 5 on there right now

------ Follow up post added January 20th, 2011 07:57 PM ------

http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem...%20bar&emvcc=0

This would be perfect
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
bloody hell where were you when I was trying to sell one of those at a loss for $500 for the better part of 2 years???

PS you really ought to bolt it to the frame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Yea im not looking to bolt it to the frame. My wheeling is very light, the 110 is a commuter vehicle.

Also I think a single hoop is plenty, I dont want a full cage on a pickup truck..it sorts defeats the purpose.

This would be perfect
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:42 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Speaking as a roll cage fabricator, what you are looking for will run about $400 if you are looking for a single hoop with rear supports, not bolted to the frame, and not powder coated. Add in some more bracing and tie it to the frame for about $300 more. All of that is made from 2" .120 wall DOM tube. I can do 1.75" and 1.5" diameter for slightly less. Powdercoating would be roughly $100.

Shop around, there are plenty of qualified fabricators that can make you something for a lot less than $1200.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:54 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Speaking as a roll cage fabricator, what you are looking for will run about $400 if you are looking for a single hoop with rear supports, not bolted to the frame, and not powder coated. Add in some more bracing and tie it to the frame for about $300 more. All of that is made from 2" .120 wall DOM tube. I can do 1.75" and 1.5" diameter for slightly less. Powdercoating would be roughly $100.

Shop around, there are plenty of qualified fabricators that can make you something for a lot less than $1200.

Nice thanks for the input!

What is the "nominal" OD for defender roll bars? ie what looks good and gets the job done?
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:32 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post

That's pretty funny. Nice try. Can I see your liability coverage information?
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:32 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Safety Devices cages are roughly 1.75". For your truck it depends on if its 3 or 5 doors. I'd do 1.75" behind the driver and tie it to the sides and do 2" in the rear if you did a full cage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:56 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The SD fakie PU "roll bar" is about $875. BTW.

When you ask me a price on the phone when Holly is out of the office, I'm gonna guess. I wasn't too far off.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

Ah ok cool, thanks for the update..its nothing personal...I really do appreciate you help in the matter
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Is there a point to device meant for safety if it hasn't been tested to provide that safety?
And doesn't the person making that device incur the liability if it fails?
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

From experience,

When I flipped my 1996 F150 with 35s and no roll bar, the cab partially compressed but not enough to even touch my head. This is why im thinking a single tube may work for me as it must be stronger then the stamped steel of my old F150 cab
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Yes they do, and that is why professional shops pay so much in insurance, and will sometimes refuse to make some things.

Old January 21st, 2011, 11:21 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
From experience,

When I flipped my 1996 F150 with 35s and no roll bar, the cab partially compressed but not enough to even touch my head. This is why im thinking a single tube may work for me as it must be stronger then the stamped steel of my old F150 cab
An F150 has a lot more thought into its cab design then the thin alloy of a Defender.
To each his own, but if you think the metal in a 110 PU cab is going to do anything other than squish you are wrong.

Honestly, even SD cages are OK, but not amazing. Racing cages and rock crawler cages are vastly superior. The SD is what I call the minimum. Anything else is for looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2606a.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	35064  

Old January 21st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
I guess if you have no sense of responsibility to for your own actions, then yes. If you are realistic in your expectations for protection in an off road situation, then no. I worked with Jonathan to build a cage that was more or less my design. Not that it was anything unusual. We never actually finished it and it is still just bolted to the body. But if it were to fail, it would be my fault as the designer. That's just my opinion.

That said, there are plenty of good rollover protection examples for Land Rovers that one could work from, and that have been tested plenty.

Now if Scary Carey were to build a cage for me and it later failed, I would try to take him for everything he has. Now that I know he has good coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Is there a point to device meant for safety if it hasn't been tested to provide that safety?
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:30 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I guess if you have no sense of responsibility to for your own actions, then yes. If you are realistic in your expectations for protection in an off road situation, then no. I worked with Jonathan to build a cage that was more or less my design. Not that it was anything unusual. We never actually finished it and it is still just bolted to the body. But if it were to fail, it would be my fault as the designer. That's just my opinion.

That said, there are plenty of good rollover protection examples for Land Rovers that one could work from, and that have been tested plenty.

Now if Scary Carey were to build a cage for me and it later failed, I would try to take him for everything he has. Now that I know he has good coverage
That's funny Dave. The only thing is, mine would be made out of wood. I build furniture. Tell Evan I said hello.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Gotta love it. I only met that guy once at Tom B.s place. I thought the comment was uncalled for. Glad to hear you are branching out.
Pun not intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
That's funny Dave. The only thing is, mine would be made out of wood. I build furniture. Tell Evan I said hello.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:

This would be perfect
There is absolutely no point at all to bolt that to your truck. It would rip out with any impact at all. Might as well hold your hands over your head in a crash.

You can find people for cheap, but go to the frame.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage