Rockware tire carrier - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:57 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Rockware tire carrier

Does anyone have a rockware tire carrier? Pics?

Randy
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2004, 10:59 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I actually just took a bunch of Frank Motleys Rockware carrier when I was out in Cali. last week. Let me find the Tire carrier post, resiz the pics and I will put them in there for you.

Follow-up Post:

In the meantime.... here are pictures of Cliffs:
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/rw_tire/index.html

Follow-up Post:

Ok.. there are more detailed pictures of Franks up now in the Swing away tire and gas carrier thread in this post:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...4950#post14950

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 24th, 2004, 03:30 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I actually just took a bunch of Frank Motleys Rockware carrier when I was out in Cali. last week. Let me find the Tire carrier post, resiz the pics and I will put them in there for you.

Follow-up Post:

In the meantime.... here are pictures of Cliffs:
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/rw_tire/index.html

Follow-up Post:

Ok.. there are more detailed pictures of Franks up now in the Swing away tire and gas carrier thread in this post:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...4950#post14950

CVC

John posted some of your pics on EE. You can Franks carrier in a couple of photos here. Just scroll down.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2004, 04:27 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris, I saw the pics of yours of Franks truck yesterday on EE.. He has a nice rig. ARe those 36" swampers he is running? I need to run a carrier like that since all of the other carriers have a top hinge that looks like it will be it the way of my non nas stop lamp on the top corner of the rear tub. I want to see if RW can make me one w/out the can holders.

Randy

by the way, I bet you had a great tome out west. Looks like some cool pics Chris.
Old October 24th, 2004, 04:59 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Frank runs 35" Swampers. He truck is amazing. It was good to finally meet him as well as Al (minus his 110 unfortanatly) along with a whole lot of new faces as well as old ones I had not seen in 4 years. Definatly had a great time. Food was excellant. John Lee also let me drive his '97 which was the first time I was able to drive a SW and an auto. After being so used to the stick of mine, driving his was like drivind a little disco. If I can next year, I will try to plan on taking more time and take my 94 out there and spend a week in Cali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Randy,

I am having a custom one made right now. I have the same lamps. It should be all ready in a week and I will post pictures and see if you like it. The guy who is doing it is amazingly talented and very fair priced. Always go custom if you can, that way nobody else will have one just like yours!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:23 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would love to see it david. Yeah, you are in the same boat as me. I just want a simple unit to hold a 35"er and a high lift. No other shi%. What is it costing you?

Chris, thanks for th info. Franks truck is awesome. From the pics, it looks like a you had a great time. I would love to head out there for a trip one day. IT looks like a great place, nice weather just like here on the east coast

A friend of mine is now doing long distance hauling. We can always get a few trucks together to ship out for a week. He said he would do it
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Yeah, I am getting one to hold a 37 and hi-lift, nothing else. He works for $50 an hour and guesses it should take him 5-8 hours. Cheap huh!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:32 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
cool, you will have to post pics. Will it have a similar sway connect like the RW unit?
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

He builds according to what the person wants. In my case, it is going to pivit off the roll cage and connect with a spring pin to the bumper. In yours, you can have him do anything you want if you decide to go with him. I would imagine he would reinforce your tub and bolt through it for a dual hinge mount and then connect via a pin on your lower sub frame. He can do mild to wild, depending on what you want. his work has been on the cover of FW 7 times. If you look at "The End is Near" post I just put up a few pictures of what he is doing for the cage. Those front bars are a continuous bend and he did all that in less than a day. I will post when I get pics.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 15th, 2005, 02:33 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Digging up an old thread... is Rockware still making the rear tire carriers? I'd like to maybe get one like the one the made for Franks truck
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/r...fm/rw_fm02.jpg

Anyone know cost or is it pretty much tell him what you want and go from there?

Quote:
[/size]
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:05 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Chris, not sure. However, I'd be interested in the same if it helps with pricing at all.
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris and David, if you go on the tread with all my truck picks, there are pics of the RW bummper Matt made me. It is the best thing on my truck.. Built like a brick shit house. Here is an old pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01159.JPG
Views:	791
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	3831  
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:36 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I just like that pic for the wee tires...
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:54 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
lol.. so funny looks like a a tonka toy with those on.. the one different thing from the final production one is that he later had to move the actual tire carrier part to the center because the 35" tire hit the back corner of the truck when you swung it open.
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I'd be interested in one of the carriers with the hi lift mount and jerry can holder as well....If we can get 5 or so together I'm sure we could cut costs down a little bit.
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I really like that design with the integrated tub protection. I would be interested in one that holds two jerry cans and a Hi-Lift. Any idea on pricing?
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:52 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Ok.. 4 interested.. Let me try to call Matt then and see what the scoop is.

Quote:
[/size]
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:16 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Definitely down Chris. This is the same one? Off Frank's truck I think. Saw it on a car hauler head out of Denver during Solihull. Nice setup.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ics2/DSC07729.jpg
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:29 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
As you can see in the pic, Franks was the first one that only attached to the rear crossmember. Matt did not like that Idea and intergrated an entire rear bumper with corner protection and receiver hitch . He said that it is alot stronger then the first one and as you can see in the pics, Its beefy. Dont stare at the tires too long though...lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier