Rockware tire carrier - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
I think the RockWare tire carrier includes a rear bumper or something in place of the NAS bumper. I know he builds good products. "If" cost is your main concern, why not start with a Jeep. I agree Rover stuff is expensive but I don't think it is because everyone in the business is out to screw us.

This reminds me of the cashier lady at Wal Mart a few years ago. The pilots of an airline that I worked for were getting ready to strike for higher wages. When she saw my airline ID badge she asked me if I thought they should strike for more money. I told her what I thought and then asked her what she thought. She said anyone making more than $12.50 an hour (about what she was making) was getting paid too much.
I was very careful to NOT say that everyone in the business is out to screw us, and I made it a point to say that I am sure Rockware is a very good company. That being said, the attitude ""If" cost is your main concern, why not start with a Jeep." is exactly the attitude that lets rover owners get taken advantage of. Lets have a little creativity, and support your local fab guy and get something unique.

And, if your local Walmart does good fab-work, sweet

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2006, 07:27 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Walmart = China = Evil Empire

Good for fluids only.
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
o so true
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2006, 11:50 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Q3ee#ddede#der$

Follow-up Post:

Sorry. My daughter was playing with my keyboard.
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf110
Q3ee#ddede#der$

Follow-up Post:

Sorry. My daughter was playing with my keyboard.
Thats very good info from your daughter, maybe we need a Rover kids section of the forum
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:22 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'm all for supporting the local fab guy, which I do. However sometimes it's nice to benefit from the iterations and lessons learned on doing multiple units over a period of time, for certain items. Which is something I rarely hear stated on these boards.
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:29 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave, here is a pic for you with a 35" rubber. I also had to have Matt move the carrying position to the center so the tire would not hit the rear corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	4894  
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:33 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Thank you Randy!
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

This is the one that I made a year or two ago: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...r+tire+carrier

It has been awesome as far as I am concerned. I over built it as far as tubing is concerned, but I wanted to make it bomb proof--in retrospect, I would have made it lighter (as with everything else on the D90...some day I will remake it and all my skid protection with lighter stuff). The heim joints and closure has stayed "rattle-less" the entire time, and I regularly stand on it to get stuff onto off the rack (not pictured).

Anyways, it took about 2 days to measure, cut, weld, paint idiotic orange, install, ect. Total cost was about $100 or so. I think I have all the material measurements at home--I will check if anyone wants it.

Chris
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:38 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
I thought you did a great job Chris. If you still have the measurements I'd appreciate seeing them. Thanks.
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Randy,
How does your rack/bumper attach to the rear crossmember? Specifically how many bolts and where? Was drilling involved for each bolt? Is the gas tank skid still accessable?
Thanks for the info
Do you still like the rack i.e. any flaws that you wish you could have known about before you had matt make it?
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:13 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Kris, no drilling or mods neccesary. IT uses all stock holes that are drilled in your rear cross member. 2 bolts on each outer corner and 4 in the center area.. IT would not be in the way of the skid plate at all..
No flaws at all and it is built like a tank. I would think about a CB antena tab that I put on later but would have been nice to have on there already and a high lift jack mount if you want..
Old August 27th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I got the one with the Jerry Cans as well. It mounts exactly like Randy said. However I have horrible vibrations when I drive. It seems like the entire thing is going to bounce off. I have it strapped in with a rachet strap right now. I spoke to Matt and I'm going to try and meet him at the National Rally where he said he would look into it and fix the problem. I'll report back on the results.
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:09 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Maybe its fromt he jerry can mounts. I don't have them and mine is solid as all hell.. Did you check the spindle and see if its loose?
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:26 PM
GliderKing
Robert Bingham
97 ST D90

Registry
I installed the rockware carrier about 2 days before I left for Moab. Here's a couple of pics. I got the one with the hi-lift and 2 jerry cans, cb antenna tab. Didn't have time to mount the cb, but here's my report.

on some road surfaces (mostly freeway), this thing bounces something fierce. I tried changing weight, adding full cans, empty cans, ended up tighening up the rubber bump stop to create more tension and that seemed to make it worse. hummm. I'll be curious what the solution might be. I think it might need another mount to dampen the vibration.

Otherwise, love it. The corners protectors work as advertised ;-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ON0V4392.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	7242   Click image for larger version

Name:	ON0V4134.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	7243  

1997 NAS 90 ST
1985 110 RHD 300tdi ROW
@gliderking instagram, twitter
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:34 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
mine does not have the holders on it. Just the tire and it is rock solid...
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:44 PM
GliderKing
Robert Bingham
97 ST D90

Registry
yeah, I assume it's the overhang of the tire on the versions with cans that is creating a resonance at road speed. That's why I tried different weights of cans and combo to see how it might change. Road surface was more of a contributing factor, especially concrete freeway segments.

I love the form factor and compactness of the product. You can pack a lot of stuff on it with essentially the same footprint of the original tire carrier on the ST. There must be a simple way to get it to behave.....

1997 NAS 90 ST
1985 110 RHD 300tdi ROW
@gliderking instagram, twitter
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

I want this exceptionally superb rig, with some minor mods of course . Who do I speak to and what should I tell him in order to get the right design documents on his table?

Ta muchly,

Neil
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Here are detailed pics.. Chris, You would almost be better off selling the parts you have and getting The one like me... All in one. Matt said that the one frank has was not strong enough and up to his standards so he changed the design to the one I have..
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't want to hijack and I don't want to be big brother but somebody has to say it. What your doing in this picture is EXTREMELY STUPID. Your not going to hold your truck off the rock so don't try.

My wife damn near lost her leg doing the same thing. Always keep the limbs your fond of inside the truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ON0V4392.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	8303  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM
vpod
Vaun Podlogar
D110 NAS 4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderKing
yeah, I assume it's the overhang of the tire on the versions with cans that is creating a resonance at road speed. That's why I tried different weights of cans and combo to see how it might change. Road surface was more of a contributing factor, especially concrete freeway segments.

I love the form factor and compactness of the product. You can pack a lot of stuff on it with essentially the same footprint of the original tire carrier on the ST. There must be a simple way to get it to behave.....
Robert, did you ever solve the vibration problem on the Rockware tire carrier? I am in the market for one and have not made my mind up yet.
Thanks, Vaun

FYI - the 110 is thriving in the warm weather we are having... Getting a bit, and I mean just bit, of vibration on the highway, was that why you were looking into the new drive shaft?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier