Rockware tire carrier - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 18th, 2005, 04:13 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would not want that. THat makes for too many parts and things to start squeeking. Definately not strong either. If you hit the rear tire carrier on something while wheelin on a stock truck or a mantec, the rear door and body can be toast. Mine is frame mounted only. IT pisses on any Mantec junk out there..
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

But if you have a SW how do the people in the back get out in an emergency?
Old September 18th, 2005, 10:57 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

That is sort of where I was going with this, I know the odds are against it but tell you what with all the fires Defenders are prone to I'd never like to take the chance. I'd much rather run the risk of tearing up a rear door then having someone seriously injured or worse. Not sure how often bumping the tire carrier destroys the rear but doesn't seem so much as to put people off from the mantec or the stock setups.
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

And the stock ST tire carrier isn't so bad, I have backed into many trees and it still holds the 35 fine.
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:09 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
I would not want that. That makes for too many parts and things to start squeeking. Definately not strong either. If you hit the rear tire carrier on something while wheelin on a stock truck or a mantec, the rear door and body can be toast. Mine is frame mounted only. IT pisses on any Mantec junk out there..
See I dont think the Mantec SW carrier is junk at all but actually has quite the foot up on all these other carriers aside from the SG carrier and is actually one of the few good things of the old BP carrier, because people inside can still get out with out you needing to let them out and all 3 of these carriers open with the door. If you want additional bumper protect, you can always leave your step bumper on.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:17 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Would a little of the "let the buyer beware" mentally win here. It seems like there's a few of us who want a carrier much like the "discontinued" version without the full bumper. I for one want to keep my NTR rear protectors and wouldn't mind keeping the step bumper. Any takers?
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:22 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I am in that boat as well. Matt from Rockware and I were trading VMs thursday night and friday so I should be able to talk to him tomorrow. Early word is yes they are still making them and yes he can modify to suit. More info after i actually speak to him but I will look over the past few days of pposts and see what people are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:25 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

If you're afraid of trashing the rear door then move the wheel inside.

Randy's setup is best for strength. It needs the left side mount to support the carrier. Downside is it must be opened manually.

Mantec's mounts are on the same side of vertical so it can pivot with the door.

Now, if Rockware's can be supported solely on the right hand mount then you can mount it to the door like the Mantec. It looks too heavy to be supported with only the one mount. Remember, the door mount is not for support.

You can't have it all. For me, a Mantec with an internal brace for the top mount is good enough.
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:27 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I never thought about the rear door thing on the SW.... Duhhh.. I guess I have ST tunnel vision.. Sorry guys.. lol
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:17 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
I never thought about the rear door thing on the SW.... Duhhh.. I guess I have ST tunnel vision.. Sorry guys.. lol
Funny, I forgot too. I have no seats in the rear. Who would need to get out?

I'm with you guys on the original Frank-esque design. I like the bumper and all, but something sexy about showing that rear cross member.
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:26 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Any news on this front? Anxious to see what the pricing and configuration might be. Thanks!
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

TTT

Waiting to hear if anything came out of this. I want to get a roof rack ( if I can ever find one) so I need to replace my SG tire carrier with somethign compatable with a NAS rack.
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:08 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Sorry gang, I got pulled into a bunch of trips back and forth to the west coast for work since Sept and things have for the moment calmed down enough for me to revisit this. Last I had left it, Matt and I had not actually talked to each other personally. Let me try to pick this up again with him as I still have an interest in possibly getting one.

Quote:
[/size]
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:52 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Randy, any pictures of the rear bumper with your tires on (full size)?
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:47 AM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

I would like to jump on this wagon. I contacted Rockware a while ago and they quoted me $1,500-$1,600 range. That is absolutely CRAZY!!!, there is a fabricator in Southeast Alabama Blue Torch Fab, www.bluetorchfab.com, they build extreme machines and the such. Dan the owner and Matt (one of the fabricators) quoted me on the same carrier as Randy's at or around $400 and two weeks to do it. They did mention that looking at the pictures that they could improve upon the design and make it stouter (especially to prevent rattling). I would have pulled the trigger sooner but have had mechanical problems with my truck and have not had the opportunity to drive it back up there and leave it. If anyone is interested shoot me an email and I'll keep you posted on the time-line. Thanks. gh
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by guajiro
I would like to jump on this wagon. I contacted Rockware a while ago and they quoted me $1,500-$1,600 range. That is absolutely CRAZY!!!, there is a fabricator in Southeast Alabama Blue Torch Fab, www.bluetorchfab.com, they build extreme machines and the such. Dan the owner and Matt (one of the fabricators) quoted me on the same carrier as Randy's at or around $400 and two weeks to do it. They did mention that looking at the pictures that they could improve upon the design and make it stouter (especially to prevent rattling). I would have pulled the trigger sooner but have had mechanical problems with my truck and have not had the opportunity to drive it back up there and leave it. If anyone is interested shoot me an email and I'll keep you posted on the time-line. Thanks. gh
I hate to say it, but this goes back to the whole "Well, their rover owners so they will pay anything, lets screw them!" mentality that has existed with some of the venders. I am sure rockware has an amazing product, but a good fab guy will put together something sweet for $400-$500. Mine was $300 but not all that nice looking.

In memory of MLK:

"I have a dream, a dream that one day, Rover owners will look at a R+P that costs $600 and say WTF? I have a dream, that we will unite, and not pay $3000 for a crappy cage from Safety Devices. I have a dream, mmmmm, that all drivers will resist the urge to put Bilstiens on thier trucks because they are shiny. I have a dream........."

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

For that kind of cash I am certainly in and I would think at least 5 or 6 others would jump on this. I again like the design of Frank Motley's but for 400 I wouldn't mind a setup similar to Randy's. I would though prefer a mount that has the bottom beam of the tire carrier span the back and not just but off in the center like this picture http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...achmentid=3845 . It just doesn't look as aesthetically pleasing as a fuller width one. I would really like to keep the old step bumper but will ditch it if needed. Any others care to chime in?

I really like this rockware one as well especially since it works with the SD Rack like I have
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/rw_tire/index.html
Old January 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I hate to say it, but this goes back to the whole "Well, their rover owners so they will pay anything, lets screw them!" mentality that has existed with some of the venders. I am sure rockware has an amazing product, but a good fab guy will put together something sweet for $400-$500. Mine was $300 but not all that nice looking.

In memory of MLK:

"I have a dream, a dream that one day, Rover owners will look at a R+P that costs $600 and say WTF? I have a dream, that we will unite, and not pay $3000 for a crappy cage from Safety Devices. I have a dream, mmmmm, that all drivers will resist the urge to put Bilstiens on thier trucks because they are shiny. I have a dream........."

I think the RockWare tire carrier includes a rear bumper or something in place of the NAS bumper. I know he builds good products. "If" cost is your main concern, why not start with a Jeep. I agree Rover stuff is expensive but I don't think it is because everyone in the business is out to screw us.

This reminds me of the cashier lady at Wal Mart a few years ago. The pilots of an airline that I worked for were getting ready to strike for higher wages. When she saw my airline ID badge she asked me if I thought they should strike for more money. I told her what I thought and then asked her what she thought. She said anyone making more than $12.50 an hour (about what she was making) was getting paid too much.
Old January 24th, 2006, 04:33 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I think rockware makes great stuff, my front bumper is one of their units but facts being facts we are talking about fabrication and steel not specified parts. If we were talking how come certain parts are more expensive off the shelf than maybe a jeep is a way to go but Arb bumpers or lockers are the same regardless of make. The point being for something like this you don't always have to use a rover fabricator or even a well known one, find someone you trust and does good work. You'll save on shipping a huge hunk of steel too.
Old January 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I agree with you 100% Christian.

I often find that if I use something of my own design it doesn't work out as well as someone else's design that has been proven. I am also not a metal fabricator. I do have some idea though of what it's like try to make a profit, or even just a decent wage, after paying taxes, shop space, insurance, utilities, etc.

I am not even saying that $1500 is not too much for a tire carrier. I am just saying people in any business should charge what the market will bear. Rover stuff doesn't have the volume that Jeep stuff does so Rover stuff has to come with a higher markup. I also think anyone who is a craftsman should be paid a fair wage.

There are reasons why a pilot makes more money that a cashier.

Just trying to offer a different viewpoint from David's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier