Rockware the only vendor left to source a Tire Carrier? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Mantec or Rockware.
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

night and day
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I agree, the only things worth hanging a tire off the back of a Defender with, IMO.
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2009, 11:37 PM
dbj2003
Brandon Jones
94 Defender 90 POE

alas, I still need a mantec for my 110, the RockWare is on the 90. And Barry has my old mantec..
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
to be fair they said my mail went to the junk folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC
Whats going on almost every UK based custom parts supplier will either not ship to the US or never responds to emails.. IMO totally worthless like Safari Gard....

Zero customer service Zero Dollars from me...

There are thousands Toy & Jeef custom fabricators out there that can build quality stuff. A tire carrier is not that hard unless your looking for a name brand bolt on POS
so you can have bragging rights on your bio...
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

You can buy the Bearmach from DAP Enterprises(www.dap-inc.com). I bought one for $325, a lot less than you can buy a mantec in the states(DAP is located in Vermont). I've heard that you can get a mantec for around$50 to $75 more than the Bearmach if you order from the UK. Anyway, I can't speak for any of their other products(ie the bearcrap comments), but, I can tell you that I think the carrier is excellent quality. I don't know what the coating on the steel is, but, it feels like some type of heavy coat of nylon. The finish is flawless. The weight and quality of components(bushings, etc.) are really impressive. As far as drilling holes, The carrier lined up with existing holes in the bumper. I did have to drill holes in the body just like the mantec. I hate doing stuff like that, but, it was really no big deal. Just like you, I bought the carrier because the back door mounted tire ruined my old door(I replaced it before I put on the new carrier). One of the better purchases I've made for my rover.
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

For the record I hated my Rockware bumper. It took forever to build and once I received it I had to cut the antenna mount off because it was welded on backwards, the recovery points were off center and the welds basically looked like shit. On top of that for the type of wheeling I do it rattled and vibrated so much I could feel it in the steering wheel and in order to use it I had to ratchet strap it down. For me there was a lot wrong for a unit that cost over $1,500.

I went back to a Safari Gard unit and have been happy. Call Eddie @ West Coast Rovers to see about SG. I know that Casey the owner is overseas somewhere.
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Joe,
Strong words, but very interesting. I have always thought if I were to buy another bumper and defiantly a rear carrier I would go with Rockware. That was from only hearing good experiences, thanks for sharing.

Anyone have any other bad experience with their bumpers?

Anyone have any direct experience with their new (ish) tire carrier?
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:09 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Rockware bumper on my truck for 8 years now, very good build quality, no *rattling*, finish is still holding up well, very good approach angle, very HD, also have their sills -strong design all around no nonsense.

Helped a friend get SG frt and rear bumps for his rangie, nice design, pretty welds, catchy logo, approach angle of frt bump was good enough, overall not as HD as rockware.

Both viable makers, in my eyes SG prettier design, Rockware more functional design. Depends on what u want to use your rover for and where , which design you go for IMO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier