Rockware rear bumper & tire carrier Installation Tips - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 9th, 2009, 09:31 PM
1995 D90
Rockware rear bumper & tire carrier Installation Tips

Just purchased a Rockware Rear Bumper and tire carrier from Joe P. (Thanks Joe!)

I won't receive it for a couple weeks but thought I'd ask for some tips, horror stories, or any other info on how your installation went.

Also, for those of you who have this unit, what did you do with all the holes in the tail gate on right corner? As someone suggested, I'll probably just run fresh stainless bolts through them to keep it clean. If you did someone cool or creative, let me know.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Matt Warren
For the holes in the door, I used stainless bolts with rubber washers to keep the water out of the rear door. In regards to the rear bumper/tire carrier install, it is important to get the length of the bolts on each corner of the bumper the exact length by shimming them with washers under the head (multiple if necessary). It will be obvious when you see it, but the nuts for the bolts have to nestle in a bracket welded to the bumper which limits the length of the bolt used. So the bolt must be long enough to fully engage the nut but not too long to make contact with the bracket and prevent you from tightening the bolt. Hard to explain until you see it.

Old May 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
Do you want to sell your stock one?
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

bumper, carrier, installation, tire, tire carrier