Rock Sliderzzzz.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:38 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Rock Sliderzzzz....

Fella's...

Too much money being dumped into the truck lately... I'm on a roll and not stopping...
NEXT... ROCK SLIDERS....
My question to you all :

WHO makes the BEST ROCK SLIDERS out there for the D90 ???
(one's that I won't have to WELD ... I just want to be able to maybe drill a couple of holes...)

I want them to be very strong ... so I don't have to replace them EVER...
I like the one's, (don't remember the manufacturer but I saw a picture) that extend a little bit for a kind of side step.

In any case, any help is appreciated. I can't tell them apart because they all look the same to me and every manufacturer says theirs are 'the strongest' ... so, I need some help.

Thanks

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think mine are Bill Burke Rock sliders. I have come down hard on them a few times and they only have scratches in the paint. They stick out a little (about 3") and they are bolt on.
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:48 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I second the Burke sliders. I switched to them after the PO had some AB sliders on the truck. World of difference in how stought they are. Better step for your passengers, and incredibly strong. What's nice is they come painted rather than powder coated. So when you scrape them or they get rusty, you sand that area and dust it with spray....

I'd say for your money they are the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Since you just gotten the Mantec Tire Carrier, I'd say go with the Mantec Sliders too. Unfortunately, they don't have the "step", but they are one of the preferred kind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:05 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I've heard some good things about his sliders.
Just called them and it seems that it takes a considerable amount
of time to get them...
If I ordered this week, the might be able to ship them before the
6th when Bill leaves for a trip, but maybe not, then I'd have to wait
a good month...
ouch...

Are there any 'close 2nd's as far as different manufacturers or are
they 'the one and only'... ?

Thanks again guys.

Nicholas

Old May 24th, 2004, 05:13 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'd say it's worth the wait. But that's purely my opinion...
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:21 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Thanks!

Dave,

Like most people on this board, you know a HELL of a lot more than me, and your opinion does count... to me anyways. I think I might wait, but just checking around to find out WHY these are so much better than the rest and worth their $500+ cost (item and shipping to FL) that's all.
I'm one of those... 'gotta read everything in print before I buy'. It's taken me a year to figure out the tire I want next, (GoodYear MTR's... in a couple weeks) so I'm just checking around. THANK YOU for the input!

Glenn,
I wouldn't know where to find the Mantec sliders ... Their website says OUT OF STOCK and don't know of any other carriers. I guess I could check the website/company that DJ sent me to regarding the spare wheel carrier. (just shot them an email).

Nicholas

Old May 24th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nicholas, The only reason I say the Burke's is I,ve used them and I have never had any problems with them, I've seen others move and bend a little but not the Burke's
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:32 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Nicholas, Roversnorth carries the Mantec sliders. I looked at all of them when I bought my 90 last summer and even though RN doesn't advertise their sliders as Mantec (at least in the catalog I have or on their website at the time) when I received them they were in a Mantec crate with Mantec instructions. They were extremely easy to install, by far the simplest operation I've done, and are very strong.

I don't go crazy or anthing, but I have wheeled this thing hard at Tellico twice and come down on some rocks that I thought surely bent or dented my sliders and nothing but a scratch is left as evidence. I think I paid 299 plus shipping for mine?

Bill's sliders have the little outrigger, the Mantec's do not. My truck is so dang high, now effectively 1.5" higher now that the seat risers are installed, that I wish I had the extra little step available.

You can't go wrong with either, I think.
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:54 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

I've got the Shrockworks sliders. He'll custom make them and use whatever wall thickness you want. Only thing I'd change would be to make them either stick out further or make from square tubing so they could better be used as a step.

I think there's some info in the "Custom Mods" section.
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:03 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I say first choice from the ones I have seen first hand would be Bill Burke's. Second I would say the Mantec. Both are real strong and one advantage Burkes sliders have over the Mantecs are his have more room under the bidy. One thing that has shown to be a draw back with the mantecs is if you come down too hard on them, they will bend the skins of your front fender.

There is a vendor here on the forum that is coming out with a set but I dont know how far along they are so I will let them add to the discussion if they feel so.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:08 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I think I'm going to live with the wait and get the Bill Burke Sliders. I like the Mantec products but if they even 'might' bend (not that I'm doing that crazy of wheeling now.. but you never know) I'm going to have to pass.
I like the ShrockWorks one's too but it doesn't seem that too many have had experience with these and like the Mantec they don't really stick out much and don't act as a 'small step'. I also checked RoversNorth's
website but couldn't find their (Mantec) sliders.

I'm probably going to order this week, and hopefully he'll have them shipped by the time he leaves. I'm
in no hurry, just impatient...lol.

But, if anyone else has any suggestions do POST !

Thanks

Nicholas

Old May 24th, 2004, 08:28 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

They wont bend, they will flex if you drop hard enough on them and force into the skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:32 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Chris,

Gotcha. I think I'll get the Burke's... (it seems to be
everyone's first choice).

Just out of curiousity ... who was the other vendor
who may or may not be coming out with sliders ?
(just IM me if you don't want to say).

Just wondering.

Thanks

Nicholas

Old May 24th, 2004, 08:44 PM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Nicholas,

I have the Safari Gard heavy duty sliders, they have the tubing that extends out from the square tube creating a nerf bar/ step. However, I think SG has discontinued them and looking back they are hardly worth the price.

I really like having the nerf bar, but I think you should pick the slider you think looks the best, because after three years of hard wheeling with them I've only managed to put a few sratches in them and that was in tellico. Wheeling in Florida you will never even touch your sliders while offroading. I'm not saying you should buy the cheapest, but you probably don't need the strongest slider either, and with the rarity of rocks in Florida you might also want a powder coated slider that will hold up to tally's extreme weather better.

Anyways, went I come back up there in the fall we'll have to do some wheeling together.
Matt
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:45 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Oh Yeah...

This is one manufacturer I forgot...

East Coast Rover.

Product: ECR ROX Sliders

ANYONE used them or have any input ?

'Tanks

Nicholas

Old May 24th, 2004, 08:50 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I would rather not say actually, as to I am not sure to if they were in production yet or not. Sorry.

Quote:
[/size]
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

dont have them, or know of anyone who does, but the ECR sliders have to be fit in house at ECR. At least this is what they told me last year
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:51 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Chris, Gotcha.

Matt, Are you IN Tallahassee ? or used to live here ?
I thought this was an LR Ghost town...haha... Yeah dude,
just let me know when you're in town...
Hmm... Did I meet you at a Florida Land Rover Club event?
(Green ST ?) ... my memory is failing...

I hear what you're saying with the ECR's... I know I don't
need the strongest right now but who knows where I'll be
living in a few years, and I'd rather not have to redo any-
thing on this truck. The Burke's are a bit expensive (a bit
more than some of the others) about $400 for the pair and
$110 for shipping to FLORIDA... ouch. But they're going to
cost $400 total somewhere else anyways. And Bill's have
the 'step' that I like.

'Tanks

Nicholas

Old May 24th, 2004, 10:19 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Nick, on a side note, how are you formatting you messages when you post? The alignments all out of wack.

Quote:
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
slide