Rock Sliders w/ OEM running boards. Possible? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 27th, 2008, 04:38 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Rock Sliders w/ OEM running boards. Possible?

I need to put running boards on my 95st because my girlfriend is a short hottie and so freaky that there is no way I'm ever getting rid of her. But I'll never get rid of my other girlfriend (the Defender) either and I need to make it easier for us to all get along. She loves the truck, and her stillettos, and the rock sliders instead of the sills. Obviously I do too, but I need to make it easier for her to climb into it. Can I mount a pair of O.E.M. running boards with the sliders still in place. I haven't found or bought them yet and don't know if I should. Thanks for any input. Sorry for the overkill on the icons but its kinda my thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2008, 04:47 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
They _should_ fit - but it depends on how your sliders are mounted.

If you were really into overkill, when she needs to get in, you'd run around to the passenger side, get on all 4's and let her dig those stillettoes into your back as she uses you for a step.

But thats none of my business, just opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 27th, 2008, 05:23 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Thanks. I guess I figured all sliders would mount in a single conventional way. I was worried that the sliders and the running boards might have to share the same mounting location or holes. I'll have another look. Oh, I'm not usually the one on all fours, but I'll consider your suggestion. She said that you sound like a smart man after her own heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2008, 07:06 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I seem to recall that Mike at ECR designed a way that a flip down step could easily be mounted and dismounted from a truck with sliders. I think the flip down steps look better too. If anyone else has done this, maybe they could supply some detailed pics.

-Neil
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

why not just go around, lift her to her seat and get a little up-skirt while doing it...and then come around and get into the truck.
I've always had tall trucks, and that is the exact reason my trucks never had side steps.
Of course, things are a little different nowadays, since my new GF is 5'9", so no worries there.
if you HAVE to put a step, I'd say, put a fold-away step only on her side.

it'll be easier to take off if need be...

-arbi
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Davis M
HDM
'93 Defender 110

You might try a diamond engagement ring before you ruin a perfectly good set of sliders with steps or runners. Seems like it would defeat the purpose to me. As a less expensive alternative, you might look into an E-Z Foldz folding step stool. ( http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=14158430 ). I got one to help my mom and dad get into the truck when we take them out to dinner or to the doctor's office. They're around $15 at BB&B (the step stool, not my parents), provide a 9" lift, and fold away nice and flat. They make a slightly larger one for about $5 more. My folks easily get in and out of the truck without fuss. Of course, neither of them wear stilletto heels....on the other hand, my mom is a frail 89 and 5' 2" tall while dad is 91 and has Parkinson's disease...so, go figure. Worth a try.
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Doesn't Rovertym make a step the connects to their sliders? I bet you could copy the design to work with your sliders. Small and neat you could keep it in the back of the truck.

Old January 27th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Get her taller stillettos. Oh and....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	titsorout.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	11868  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:01 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

The stock Land Rover folding steps will work with sliders - and there are only three bolts holding them on so they can easily be removed for serious off-road excursions. My wife is 5'4" so I have to install the step for her to use when I'm just using the truck as my daily driver. I pull off the step for my off-road trips - it takes about 5 minutes.

I've seen a design (Rovers North?) where there is a square tube welded vertically on the back of a rock slider with a horizontal hole for a quick release pin. A step with a vertical stem is slid up into the square tube and pinned in place - quick and easy - gonna duplicate that someday.
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

That is the slider I use- the RN w/ the removable step- for the same reason, although the stillettos may be an issue.....as the step is a grated design. RN copied the Mantec style, and added the step. It takes about 5 seconds to remove or replace. The quick release is actually spring loaded, and SS, so no rust issues.
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:44 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Thanks everyone for all the insight. I'll look into the quick release side step. Sounds right and I'm sure it will feel better than the heels in the back. Unless, of course she's into that kind of thing...Just kidding. Chat later.
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I just lift in the wife. she is 5'5" She does not mind. I think the steps look like absolute shit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
oem, slide