Rock Slider Help Please!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Rock Slider Help Please!!

Well I have been waiting to get my hands on a pair of slick rocks rock sliders, I talked to Dave a couple months ago and he said it may be a little delay. Unfortunatly this weekend the Rover and a rock became one and believe it out not it only damaged the bottom sill. To get to the point, if Dave is unable to make these what would be my best bet. I went to 4x4ag.com to get some scorpions and they are out of stock, I tried to get in touch with Shrockrocks a couple weeks ago and havent heard back. I am heisitant with Safari Gard, not with the product, but with the shipping from what I gathered from posts I have searched. SO I guess that leaves me with Mantec (I think Rovers North carries them?) and Rockware. Can ANYBODY give me their experiences/knowledge about these sliders or any other suggestions. I need to get my rover back on the path. I really appreciate it.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Rovers North, Atlantic British, British Pacific, Pangea, Rhyno, West Coast British, Rokware, Rovertym, Safarigard,
DAP, etc. etc.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Mike - Give Matt a call at Rockware. He can make you a set pretty quick and you will not regret it. All their items are essentially bomb proof. HTH. Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:08 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I can vouch for Rokware, I have the HD bumper and the sliders.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Did Bill Burke stop making his?
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
He still shows them on his website. I think you have to call him.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billakris
Did Bill Burke stop making his?
spoke to his wife, he isn't making them now as they are on the road, and no definite plans on when he will begin to make them.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Safari Gard

I purchased a pair of the Heavy Duty Rock Sliders from Safari Gard 2 months ago and had no problems with ordering or shipping. I was very satisfied with their service and products.

I installed them by myself and the look great. Came in handy last month too when I almost rolled my 90. 4 guys were able to hop on the outer portion (the part that makes it heavy duty) and basically saved me from rolling.

Greg.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Sliders

I just ordered some from Draken Off Road (USA Equipe 4x4). They are still on there way but I should have them on the truck buy late this week or early next week. They look good and I have been very happy with there products I have on my trucks now. I'll post some pictures when I get them mounted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Thanks everybody for all of your input. I'm still not sure what sliders I am going to get yet. I am going to start making some call on Wed to see who has was avaliable. Does anybody know if the sliders that RN has on their website are Mantec and if there are painted/powder coated or just galv. I have heard they were and others say there are not Mantec sliders. RN has free shipping and 10% for today and tomorrow. It seems like a pretty good deal, but I don't want to spare on the quality and ease of install to save a couple bucks.
Once again, thanks everyone for all of you help.

Also if anyone is in need for a original set of side steps/nerf bars for a Defender, I have some that are in good shape. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Old July 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

My sliders (D110) are from RN and came with Mantec instructions and these were by far the easiest installation of anything done thus far.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 04:26 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

I bought the RN D90 sliders a couple of years ago. They are Mantec and they came powder coated
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

I have Mantec rock sliders on my D90

and they survived lots of hard bashing on the Rubicon last year with hardly any visible wear. This year I rolled the D90 on Potato Salad Hill in Moab and they are smashed in from the sides. Looks like the do very well on hits to the underside, but are vulnerable to the side. They are quite reasonable at $299 from RN. I'm looking at Scorpions for my 110 but the are pricey at $650. On Rockware, everything I have bought from Matt (draglinks, trackrods, trailing arms, frame sli ders) has been of the highest quality. I wouldn't hesitate at all with Rockware.

Clark Bowen
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Does anybody have any pictures with the Mantec or Rockware sliders on their Defender? Also does anybody have any idea why there is such a big difference in cost between RN (Mantec sliders) 299.00 and Rockware 425.00. I can get these sliders from Rovers North for 269.00 plus free shipping. But like I said before if the Rockware and others priced over 400.00 are much better (materials/production) than RN's I will go with those.
Thanks

Old July 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

The Mantec works fine, they aren't the strongest sliders out there. The 2 holes intended for a high lift are useless as that is not a safe or proper way to utilize a high lift. The Mantec looks good on the truck and is very simple to install.
Rockware stuff is pretty stout, Matt probably uses a thicker steel and they probably are mount in a way that prevents them from pushing up into the front quarter panel when hit hard. If you notice on my truck, just below the Tdi sticker the panel is folded in a bit. This happened when coming down off a rock too hard, I don't know if the Rockware ones would have done that. It's not uncommon to see this on a Mantec equipped truck.

The fluid pouring out the bottom is just water as I just came out of a water crossing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mantec slider.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	5956  
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Mike - When you call RN ask them about delivery time on the Mantec sliders. I received a set in Feb-March timeframe and it took about 8 weeks for them to arrive. Slow boat from UK. Mark
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:19 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

IMO I don't like the mantec sliders, I think the safari guards are a far superior product. I had them on my 90 and where very easy to install but I think they lack in a couple of regards. 1. They are big (way bigger than safari guards 2. strength, only attached in two places and they dent far easier than the safariguards.

The safari guard sliders on my 110 where much more involved to install but it was worth it. I don;t know about rockware but judging from all their other products I bet you would be happy with them also. just my 2c.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
slide