Defender Source Forum banner

Rock Slider Help Please!!

Tags
slide
5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  D90user 
#1 ·
Well I have been waiting to get my hands on a pair of slick rocks rock sliders, I talked to Dave a couple months ago and he said it may be a little delay. Unfortunatly this weekend the Rover and a rock became one and believe it out not it only damaged the bottom sill. To get to the point, if Dave is unable to make these what would be my best bet. I went to 4x4ag.com to get some scorpions and they are out of stock, I tried to get in touch with Shrockrocks a couple weeks ago and havent heard back. I am heisitant with Safari Gard, not with the product, but with the shipping from what I gathered from posts I have searched. SO I guess that leaves me with Mantec (I think Rovers North carries them?) and Rockware. Can ANYBODY give me their experiences/knowledge about these sliders or any other suggestions. I need to get my rover back on the path. I really appreciate it.

Thanks

#8 ·
Safari Gard

I purchased a pair of the Heavy Duty Rock Sliders from Safari Gard 2 months ago and had no problems with ordering or shipping. I was very satisfied with their service and products.

I installed them by myself and the look great. Came in handy last month too when I almost rolled my 90. 4 guys were able to hop on the outer portion (the part that makes it heavy duty) and basically saved me from rolling.

Greg.

#10 ·
Thanks everybody for all of your input. I'm still not sure what sliders I am going to get yet. I am going to start making some call on Wed to see who has was avaliable. Does anybody know if the sliders that RN has on their website are Mantec and if there are painted/powder coated or just galv. I have heard they were and others say there are not Mantec sliders. RN has free shipping and 10% for today and tomorrow. It seems like a pretty good deal, but I don't want to spare on the quality and ease of install to save a couple bucks.
Once again, thanks everyone for all of you help.

Also if anyone is in need for a original set of side steps/nerf bars for a Defender, I have some that are in good shape. Let me know if anyone is interested.

#13 ·
I have Mantec rock sliders on my D90

and they survived lots of hard bashing on the Rubicon last year with hardly any visible wear. This year I rolled the D90 on Potato Salad Hill in Moab and they are smashed in from the sides. Looks like the do very well on hits to the underside, but are vulnerable to the side. They are quite reasonable at $299 from RN. I'm looking at Scorpions for my 110 but the are pricey at $650. On Rockware, everything I have bought from Matt (draglinks, trackrods, trailing arms, frame sli ders) has been of the highest quality. I wouldn't hesitate at all with Rockware.

Clark Bowen

#14 · (Edited)
Does anybody have any pictures with the Mantec or Rockware sliders on their Defender? Also does anybody have any idea why there is such a big difference in cost between RN (Mantec sliders) 299.00 and Rockware 425.00. I can get these sliders from Rovers North for 269.00 plus free shipping. But like I said before if the Rockware and others priced over 400.00 are much better (materials/production) than RN's I will go with those.
Thanks

#15 · (Edited)
The Mantec works fine, they aren't the strongest sliders out there. The 2 holes intended for a high lift are useless as that is not a safe or proper way to utilize a high lift. The Mantec looks good on the truck and is very simple to install.
Rockware stuff is pretty stout, Matt probably uses a thicker steel and they probably are mount in a way that prevents them from pushing up into the front quarter panel when hit hard. If you notice on my truck, just below the Tdi sticker the panel is folded in a bit. This happened when coming down off a rock too hard, I don't know if the Rockware ones would have done that. It's not uncommon to see this on a Mantec equipped truck.

The fluid pouring out the bottom is just water as I just came out of a water crossing.

Attachments

#17 ·
IMO I don't like the mantec sliders, I think the safari guards are a far superior product. I had them on my 90 and where very easy to install but I think they lack in a couple of regards. 1. They are big (way bigger than safari guards 2. strength, only attached in two places and they dent far easier than the safariguards.

The safari guard sliders on my 110 where much more involved to install but it was worth it. I don;t know about rockware but judging from all their other products I bet you would be happy with them also. just my 2c.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.