Road Trip Necessities -- Bringing the D90 Home - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:42 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Road Trip Necessities -- Bringing the D90 Home

So I have mailed the deposit and will be booking the flight later today or tomorrow which is probably close enough to call it official that I am finally getting my truck! Now comes the fun part...driving her home! It is about a 650-700 mile trip and I am looking for everyone's opinions of what I "must" have with me. A little background on the truck, it's a 94 ST with about 40K miles and has been checked out by a local Rover mechanic and found to be in good health...all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Also have to figure out the logistics of bringing things with me on the plane vs. shipping it via UPS/Fedex ahead of time vs. buying it locally (if needed)

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Jeff, Congrats on the purchase!

I would make sure you have AAA. It wouldn't hurt.

I would map out a route and know local LR shops or owners willing to help if you do get in a jam. Rather than figuring it out on the way/side of the road.

Will you have a temp tag to get it back to VA? Insurance?

Where are you picking the 90 up?

What are some details about the truck?
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:54 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

In my case, i wish i brought a spare U-joint with me...mine finally broke in the smallest town possible. Stuck there 2 days until it was shipped in, bored as hell! All because of a $40 part.

i think the U-joint issue is a common problem. maybe somebody else could chime in. I still concider myself a newbie.

Have fun on the trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You read my mind about AAA...renewing that this week as well. I will be flying down on May 8 and driving from Nashville to NOVA so it's basically RT 40 to RT 81...haven't looked into shops along the way but that's a good call as well. I have insurance on the truck already and VA lets you have a 3 day trip permit as long as you have insurance on the truck. Will be picking up the trip permit on 5/7.

Truck is a mostly stock '94 ST with a LT77 and new(er) BFG M/T's. Not sure what other details are important
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Two silver relays, an ecu, a cap, a rotor, a coil wire bring with you these. Then, when you pick it up, go directly to walmart and buy a jug of coolant and a gallon of water, 90wt, motor oil, ATF, DUCT tape (for fixing hoses), a fire extinguisher (for putting out oil cooler line fires) and that should get you home. Make sure you have a decent set of tools. The U-joint mentioned above is unnecssary because you can just pull the prop shaft and drive in 2wd home.

Also, I will PM you my phone number. Call 24/7 and I can give roadside "ron good" repair advice.
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:18 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

FYI- triple A takes like 7 days to kick in. i just picked up the premium- 200 +100miles package. not that i have ever heard of a land rover breaking down or anything.
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Since shipping tools out is a hassle and an expense, I stay buy a cheap set there before you set out. Get some of each kind of fluid to be safe and as Ron says a fire extinguisher. The other stuff he lists are a good idea too. Familiarize yourself with opening the hood and know where the oil lines are. Stop by and I can lend you a couple main relays if you can't buy any in time beforehand (you'll need to order online).

Otherwise pack your sun glasses and AAA card and credit card

Oh and keep us posted along the way, including pictures (you can email to me and I'll post if needed).

charles
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Bring an extra car/truck, you'll need it. Congrats though. 40K miles sounds like a gem. any pics?

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

If you are planning on getting new tires, now is a good time. I had two blow up on me in my 110 going from Halifax back to Ottawa. Also make sure the radiator is clean, if there is mud blocking the fins you'll quickly be on the side of the road overheated and it's easy to do at the nearest spray-wash. Same of course goes for changing the oil, never know how long that's been in there, etc.

As for bringing along, the tire-brace that comes with the Defender is pretty useless, after my last experience I'd make sure to always have a long-arm and the correct socket along, I couldn't get the nuts off with the stock one when I really needed to and it was a major pain and expense to deal with.

I'd also bring a new air-filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I would have a couple spare belts, fuel filter, spark plugs
(I have these in my truck all the time)

handheld gps goes a long way also.

Not sure if necessary, but a O2 sensor might be good to have as well - long story.

oh yeah - bring some earplugs . Learned my lesson on a ny to FL trip in my jeep way back when.
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM
CDN90
Tim
94 / D90 #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The U-joint mentioned above is unnecssary because you can just pull the prop shaft and drive in 2wd home.
Ummm, do i ever feel stupid!
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ya'll need to live a little. It's not like he's going to be driving across some uninhabited desert!

Flipflops (OSHA approved if you must)? Check.
Hat/cap? Check.
Sunglasses? Check.
Cell phone? Check.
Wallet? Check.
Ipod/Mp3 player? Check.

Ready to roll...

Or you could be like my friend Ed who packs more sh1t into a backpack for taking his dogs for a walk around the block, than I pack for a weekend wheeling
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:08 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Ya'll need to live a little. It's not like he's going to be driving across some uninhabited desert!

Hat/cap? Check.
Sunglasses? Check.
Cell phone? Check.
Wallet? Check.
Ipod/Mp3 player? Check.

Ready to roll...

Or you could be like my friend Ed who packs more sh1t into a backpack for taking his dogs for a walk around the block, than I pack for a weekend wheeling
When I met you Charles you were wearing shorts and sandals an it was 20 degrees out!
Obviously Charles packs pretty light!
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Bring a paint scraper. Damn bugs committed suicide all over my damn windshield in my little 500 mile trip this weekend.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:

Hat/cap? Check.
Sunglasses? Check.
Cell phone? Check.
Wallet? Check.
Ipod/Mp3 player? Check

Completely aggree

The only thing I'd add to this is a hoodie. It's both great for the ST when it gets cold, and a fair barrier to sound if you have the top off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040036 - r.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	27142  
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN90 View Post
Ummm, do i ever feel stupid!
If you had posted about the trip I would have send you my phone number. Mike called Pendy on our trip across country with janey and since then I have been trying to pay it forward.
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Completely aggree

The only thing I'd add to this is a hoodie. It's both great for the ST when it gets cold, and a fair barrier to sound if you have the top off.
Yeah I'm assuming you'll pack some appropriate outer wear, etc.

I read your post about your trip Josh and I would have done the same thing with the top. The trip would have been far more boring if you had played it safe
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks for all the recommendations and comic relief! I think I have some shopping to do now and Charles, I will be in touch in the coming week as I will probably need more help and would like to check out the locations of some of these precious parts! Ron, thanks for all the info and the phone number!
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij

A call to roverguy will get you basically the who lot at a very fair price and he is in danville so even normal shipping will get it to you next day. Stick them in the PS under seat storage area in a plastic bag and leave them there. A disco I or RRC ecu works fine so you don't need a D90 one.
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:19 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:

Hat/cap? Check.
Sunglasses? Check.
Cell phone? Check.
Wallet? Check.
Ipod/Mp3 player? Check.

Ready to roll...

I agree with above,
my 400 mile drive picking up my D90 involved a stop @ best buy to buy a floor model stereo then install in the parking lot (speakers/wiring there, radio nicked) then filling a cooler and buying Jerky!

good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, trip