Road Trip Necessities -- Bringing the D90 Home - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 28th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Bring a hot chick. Doesn't matter if she talks to much or anything--I can't hear shit when driving anyways. But hot helps. And duct tape. Just in case she talks too much. And for hoses too. Just kidding about the talking--no offense or nothing. But just in case, not a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2010, 08:12 AM
matansas
jon lyons
97 AA Convertible

tail lights

brought mine home last month, lost brake lights first 100 miles. found bulbs but no screw driver in Bells Falls vermont and 10 pm on a saturday. Phillips and a few bulbs a must. dash lights went next drive.
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Two silver relays, an ecu, a cap, a rotor, a coil wire bring with you these. Then, when you pick it up, go directly to walmart and buy a jug of coolant and a gallon of water, 90wt, motor oil, ATF, DUCT tape (for fixing hoses), a fire extinguisher (for putting out oil cooler line fires) and that should get you home. Make sure you have a decent set of tools. The U-joint mentioned above is unnecssary because you can just pull the prop shaft and drive in 2wd home.

Also, I will PM you my phone number. Call 24/7 and I can give roadside "ron good" repair advice.
Ron
Do you happen to have a part number for the silver relays? I did a search and Charles had a post i picked this from (cross matching part numbers)

Bosch: P2020-24499
Borg Warner: R3024

Thanks in advance. Might want to get these and toss them in the rig (and maybe a spare ecu) I think I have the rest on your list Now I'll have to learn how to swap an ecu!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2010, 12:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Afu2913
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Just FYI, I have bought these cheaper black plastic ones from AB and they work fine. I have had the silver ones fail quickly on me so I don't consider them worth twice the cost.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AFU2913OE.cfm?bc=ab

------ Follow up post added April 28th, 2010 12:20 PM ------

Oh, here is a link to the silver ones on RN

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2...l-pump-v8.aspx
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Thanks for the numbers and links. So two of them should be good or one is enough for emergency purposes?
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Bring a hot chick. Doesn't matter if she talks to much or anything--I can't hear shit when driving anyways. But hot helps. And duct tape. Just in case she talks too much. And for hoses too. Just kidding about the talking--no offense or nothing. But just in case, not a bad idea.
good call, she can flag down your ride if/when it breaks down too
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
Thanks for the numbers and links. So two of them should be good or one is enough for emergency purposes?
In theory both can fail, so maybe 2 of the cheap ones?
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I keep two, but one would be fine. What I do when I get a truck is buy two new genuine ones and throw the old ones in the truck as spares.
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
If it is a 700 mile trip assume 15 miles per gallon at $2.85/gallon, so I would bring $133 plus $40 for food and drinks along the way and maybe $100 for a hotel room. Leave all credit cards, cell phones etc at home. You can't hear a cell phone ring in a D-90 anyway.
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM
1sttimer
clint glover
'97 D90 ST

Jeff: Congrats! Didn't realize how naive I was when I picked my 1st Defender up last year summer.
I only had 425 miles to cover. No top, no radio, no ear plugs. Sun fried me for the 1st 4 hours, then drove through a torrential rain storm. Stopped an hour from my destination to pick up a 12 pack.

Arrived beat to hell, ears ringing, sunburned, soaking wet, and happy as hell!!! Welcome to the club.
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

In addition to what has been mentioned -- a spare fuel pump (there was a problem with the 94's and many were replaced), in addition to the relays I carry homemade relay jumpers made with some 16 gauge wire and a couple of spade wireless terminals -- use to jumpo across the two terminals the relays closes upon activation--my theory is if I am drving it why do I really care that I can't switch it on and off. A couple of rolls of Rescue Tape (bought mine from Amazon but saw it recenbtkly at a local Ace hardware)-- a strong silicone-based, high tensile strength tape for hoses. A replacement for the cheap plastic radiator plug -- I would hate to have one of thsoe two break.
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I would like to see someone change a D90 fuel pump on the side of the road. You need to drop the tank to get to it. True, I carry one in the LWB (which has an access panel), but a D90 it is a major operation. If you do need one though just call me and I can fedex overnight a spare (your choice--new genuine or used).
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
The fuel pump is in the tank and not something I'd be trying to repair roadside given I have pulled my fuel tank and know what a bitch it can be. I'd be too scared to buy a defender after reading this thread! he might as well pack a Honda and a tow bar. sheesh.

------ Follow up post added April 28th, 2010 04:52 PM ------

Oops Ron beat me to it.
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:19 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, I'm glad I didn't ask these questions before I bought the truck...I would've had to offered $1K less! Reading up on some of the threads on the site I would definitely put a fuel pump (and a few other goodies) on my list of good things to have in my parts bin but don't know that it will live in my truck!
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

If you carry a spare fuel pump, you can be towed to any gas station and replace it and be on your way in 3-4 hours. If you don't have one, you get towed to the nearest gas station and wait a couple days for one to arrive and then spend 3-4 hours to change. My time is worth the $250 spent now for something I will probably use while I own the rig. Yes, I have replaced a D-90 fuel pump and when you see how cheaply they are made, you'll decide to carry a spare. Also, no one mentioned anything about a spare ignition module -- another wonderful single point failure made by Lucas. Oh yeah, another B**CH to change if it hasn't be remoted off of the dizzy.

By the way, a few years ago I met some car guys for coffee on a Saturday morning, one was a retired auto engineer who informed me he had designed the fuel pump in the D-90s--I had a few choice words about the design.
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Jeff is buying my truck and I have a great deal of confidence he'll make it home without any issues. That said, it is a Rover and no matter how well it is running or how well it's been checked-out (great, and thoroughly in this case) there is always the chance something will go wrong.

I will certainly give Jeff a complete pre-flight on the truck and will toss in all the extras I have lying around. I of course carry an extinguisher in my cars whether they are prone to oil line fires or not.

And a small tool kit and some duct tape can always come in handy.

And I will even throw-in a free set of ear plugs in case Jeff forgets his noise canceling headphones because those MT's do like so sing on the highway!

Cheers,

CARL

------ Follow up post added April 29th, 2010 12:08 AM ------

Ignition module was replaced within the last couple hundred miles so that should not be an issue.

Then again, it is a Lucas part I believe.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:35 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I did PM jeff on the ignition module, but I should have added it to the thread. My thought is that the bonnet would be most likely to fail on this truck. (I sold Carl the bonnet )

Ron
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:15 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I think the key to remember is this that you can't possibly carry every part that is likely to fail in the lifetime of the vehicle, especially when you just bought it. Even your fuel pump example is a bit misguided. Should it fail, it's more than a 3-4 hour job most likely so you are hating life one way or another. But more importantly, if this did happen he really still has options. If he can't find one locally or have it overnighted, he can go to Napa and get a carter (iirc) pump and splice it in.

I do agree on a few electrical items like the main/fuel relays and a multi-meter - will save you a tom of time if you have a problem with them. But even the ignition module is a 50/50 and in this case since Carl says it was just replaced I'd take my chances

Anyway the bottom line is Jeff is making preparations, and he has his back covered by countless other rover nuts, I assume the seller included. So he'll be fine.
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
I picked mine up from upstate NY and drove it back to south FL. I would say that possibly I'm immune to lots of the noise, but I didn't have any issues other than a bad track rod end and wonky drop arm. None of which made it undriveable. Based on my experience before I converted to the 300tdi I would say carry oil cooler lines and a fire extinguisher. Lord knows you don't need to have a fire you can't put out on the road.

Have fun driving it back as you'll remember the ride forever even if you don't have any issues.

S-P

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, trip