RN wingtop vs. Atlantic British wingtop protectors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 12th, 2009, 12:57 AM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

RN wingtop vs. Atlantic British wingtop protectors

Does anyone have an opinion of one of these products over the other? Better for some specific reason? So similar it doesn't matter? Thanks in advance.

Rovers North
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6...-90-black.aspx

vs.

Atlantic British
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/BA113B.cfm

PS I know one is a whole kit (RN) and the other is just the wingtop protectors (AB)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:00 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I would go with the AB ones since the wings tend to accumulate oily tools, beer cans, leaky batteries and the occasional trail lunch. Aluminum plate for sill or corner protection is just a silly idea as in the other kit, those pieces are just for dress up.
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, my truck had the rear corner and sill plates, and I really don't like them. I've been replacing it as I get a chance.

I'd go with the OEM stuff for the fender tops, the quality difference is usually significant in terms of thickness, shape, and finish. If you get aftermarket, make sure you're getting 3mm stuff - the cheap stuff is 2mm and pretty much sux.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:48 AM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Does anyone know if the RN stuff is OEM? It doesn't seem to say on their website. Does anyone know what the conversation from "bar" to MM is? I can't find it on the internet. What does 5 bar thickness translate too?
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:03 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

[QUOTE=fenwaystan]Does anyone know if the RN stuff is OEM? It doesn't seem to say on their website. QUOTE]

If they run true to fashion, I'll bet it is not OEM...
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:03 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwaystan
Does anyone know if the RN stuff is OEM? It doesn't seem to say on their website. Does anyone know what the conversation from "bar" to MM is? I can't find it on the internet. What does 5 bar thickness translate too?
I believe '5 Bar' is the 'tread' design embossed into the plates, and has nothing to do with the actual thickness..

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I just ordered a set of the wing top guards from Rovers North. They should be here today, so I can do a review of them tonight.

I do know that there are several types and I specifically wanted the ones that cover the entire wingtop. I am hoping the ones I ordered from RN shave a bent edge to cover the front and side angled parts of the wingtop. We'll see.
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:23 AM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Greg--

I'd love to know what you think. Did you order their custom gut gasket as well or will you make your own? I'd love to know if the fasteners are rivets, screws, etc. Thanks.

Christopher
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
OEM comes with screws - others have rivets, which makes them a bit harder to remove...

Old August 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Another option for OEM is George at Rovers Down South. Here's a link:

http://www.roversdownsouth.com/defender.htm
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I bought the RN complete kit in 2005 (came with screws). The finish on them is paint and some of mine is wearing thin (hard, black anodizing is expensive!). They're pretty as trim, other than the wing covers, which prove useful since it's so tempting to stand on top of those big flat fenders.

Dennis
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwaystan
Greg--

I'd love to know what you think. Did you order their custom gut gasket as well or will you make your own? I'd love to know if the fasteners are rivets, screws, etc. Thanks.

Christopher
The set from RN arrived this afternoon. They manufactured by Mammouth 4x4 and can be seen at http://www.mammouth4x4.co.uk/ (The kit came with a sticker!)

They are 3mm in thickness. The kit comes with screws, and captive nuts that expand when tightened to create a semi-permanent mounting point.

Anyway, they seem pretty beefy, and the finish seems durable. I did not get the gasket, as I was planning on silicone-ing the things down as I have in the past. However, they mount over the vents so the plates have to come off in order to get the vents off. Therefore, I will most likely either make a gasket using weather-stripping, or get the one from RN.

I had a pair before that went the full width of the wingtop, these are about a 1/2" short, but still have about an inch bend on the edges.

Overall, I am satisfied.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think its worth taking time out to hate how RN does not reveal their 3rd party suppliers or have enough details on their website to actually evaluate their parts.

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I think its worth taking time out to hate how RN does not reveal their 3rd party suppliers or have enough details on their website to actually evaluate their parts.
Or the fact that they steal products and make cheap knock offs
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
Or the fact that they steal products and make cheap knock offs
Oh, that too, and some guys that think they know all the parts and FedEx you the wrong stuff overnight for the second time.

I will give them credit for having a mature inventory, but the "smoke-and-mirrors" approach to doing business is, to say the least, frustrating. Last set of rotors I ordered from them came in an Allmakes box. Not necessarily bad, but disguising whatever is cheap or available as "Proline" does not give me a warm fuzzy. If anything ever shows up from them in a Brit Part box, I'll swear them off for good.

Old August 12th, 2009, 11:13 PM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Thanks much for the review. Though it would be great if RN openly fessed up their suppliers so I could get real data on products (e.g. the website Greg provided confirmed the wing top protectors are indeed 3mm), I have placed my order for both the wing top protectors and the associated gasket. I'll give it a whirl.

I may use aluminum rivnuts to affix them so that I can more easily remove them when necessary. I use McMaster-Carr for these types of items. Here is a general link to their aluminum rivnut page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=36fefb

Cheers
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

RN.....
When I was restoring Series rigs years ago I thought they were very helpful and knowledgeable.
Then things seemed to change about 8 - 10 years ago.
A number of the old timers left and the focus seemed more on the newer models and fancy but questionable accessories. More money in upscale - obviously.
Unfortunately, they have a big inventory of RRC parts that I need from time to time.
I seldom use them now, especially if British Pacific or RDS have the part.
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

I got my wing top protectors from RN today. As Greg opined, they are quite nice.

I do believe I can put the the vent covers on over the new wing top protectors so they are easier to get off. I have aftermarket CNC machined aluminum vent covers, so they may be different than the OEm plastic ones.
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The only person I talk to at RN is Les, and, even though I don't agree with some of their practices, sometimes they are the only real option. If you ask (well, at least if I ask) they will tell me the brand of what I am buying at least on consumable parts (I don't buy accessories). Mike at LR West Chester will do the same.
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Mike at Land Rover West Chester ROCKS.

Land Rover Flatirons here in Colorado had the best parts person period (Charlie Haigh) but he moved to a diffrent state

I sure wish he was still in Colorado, he was the local expert on TDI swaps and everything Land Rover and I sure could use some of his help building my early 90 as all the places around here kind of suck with old diesel land rovers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
protector, wing