Rivnuts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 11th, 2014, 11:51 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Rivnuts

The 50th finally goes to the painters next week. Noting a few of the Rivnuts ( threaded inserts) holding on the light guards have caused some galvanic action, and themselves, rusted, what now?
Remove, paint first and replace with new ones ( alu or stainless). If so, can I drill them out?

Cheers,

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
The 50th finally goes to the painters next week. Noting a few of the Rivnuts ( threaded inserts) holding on the light guards have caused some galvanic action, and themselves, rusted, what now?
Remove, paint first and replace with new ones ( alu or stainless). If so, can I drill them out?

Cheers,

Tim
if you are putting them into aluminum use aluminum.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:07 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Don't drill them out unless you use the exact same size drill as the hole. You need to know the outside diameter of the rivnut body. If you drill the rivnut out and mess up the hole you'll never get another one in there properly.
Safest is to remove the light guards, remove the rivnuts and plug the holes with a plasic insert. Or use an expanding plastic nutsert if you must have them.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2014, 01:17 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Use a Dremel and cut off wheel to cut a "+" into the top part of the Rivnut. Bend the pieces in and push the Rivnut through.
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:32 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I drilled a few out last week. I used a bit that was just bigger than the thread inside of the rivnut itself. I then gradually increased the size till the thing came apart. I then used that bit to remove the rest of them. Set new ones in and called it done.
Old October 12th, 2014, 06:25 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Cheers, unfortunately 3 of the ones in the upper front wings are spinning, thus getting the light guards off has turned into a project in itself...

Tim
Old October 12th, 2014, 08:23 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Rivnut can be drilled out without problems. I replace lotsa them on airplanes. The trick is to use a large drill bit. All you need to do is cut the outer lips. You won't be able to retrieve them out from the same side as you drill. They are like pop-rivet. If one starts to spin, just change the angle of the drill and it should stick. You might want to replace them with splined one or rivnut with a dot, need to cut a small dot on the hole and the dotted rivnut will be anchor in that hole so it won't spin.
If you have access to the back of the panel you can go for anchor nut, which are riveted on one or two places. Prevent them from spinning and are stronger.
Old October 12th, 2014, 08:54 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Cheers, unfortunately 3 of the ones in the upper front wings are spinning, thus getting the light guards off has turned into a project in itself...

Tim
Had that problem. A drill doesn't do much when the part your trying to drill just spins. That's why I used a Dremel and small cut off wheel to remove the screw and Rivnut.
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Okay, different problem same issue. The PO hacksawed the nut leaving the metal in the hole! Took the guards off an sold them. So how o I get those out?
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:57 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Get access to the back of them with a pair of long nose vice grips to hold them and then drill or Dremel them as mentioned

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions