rive nuts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 17th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Matt Hurst
rive nuts

i thought i saw a post about installing these with out a gun.something with a bolt maybe?any one know how to do it with the bolt?

Old March 17th, 2004, 12:24 AM
97 Defender LE SW #44
yeah you can put a bolt through the thing (that fits it) and turn it so that it is all the way on and then keep turning at which point the thing will start to set.

1st pl Nevada Trophy 2004 & 2003
Currently no Land Rover - may be hunting for a 109" soon. ;)
G550, 06 BMW GSA, 75 Norton Commando "ACE", 06 Ducati Paul Smart, 00 Aprilia RSVR, 73 Moto Guzzi V7s
Old March 17th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
I had a real tough time trying to figure out these things when I installed a hard top to my '94 a couple of years ago. I bought the retro-fit kit from LR. I drilled the holes as specified, but the rivnuts slipped right into the holes and spun with no resistance??? I ended up using JB Weld on them, did the trick, but I am still clueless as to how to use rivnuts?
"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM
None - sadly
You have to drill the hole for the rivnut slightly smaller than the actual rivnut. In reality, manufacturers make the rivnuts larger than the diameter hole they are spec'd for.

Put electrical tape, jb weld or something on the outer surface of the rivnut and hit the bolt with an impact wrench. Will seat right in nicely.

When I installed a set of RTE sliders on my Disco I used a pneumatic pump rivnut setter, but used the rattle gun method when adding some bracing to my SIII 109 ex-military last year.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions