ring and pinion/lockers - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 25th, 2010, 06:03 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Leave the front end alone, and about $10 in rod for the rear. Locked. Done. Go wheelin.
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010, 06:35 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
Leave the front end alone, and about $10 in rod for the rear. Locked. Done. Go wheelin.
guy spends a couple years in Maine and look what happens awsum innit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:37 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Before throwing big money at the axles, just wheel it and see if anything breaks. At most you might want the 4 pin parts for your thirds. That's IF you find the carriers actually being a problem. You have 24 spline axles and traction control, which goes a long way in off roading ability. Everyone has an opinion when they aren't spending their own money. Where in Kansas do you go 4 wheeling with your truck?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010, 07:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I'd say ditch the 5" lift and 35s. Sell them on Craigslist. Put the money into a reasonable lift with reasonable tires and a double-cardan driveshaft. Save your money until you can afford axles and lockers and do it right. ARB vs DL doesn't matter when you're running a monster lift on a what is probably completely stock truck.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Seriously... 5" lift?? and 35s? I love the big tires but why 5 inches? I think Buck recently measured his lift at something like 1.5 inches and he's running even bigger meats... Lane is something like 1" in his rollover rebuild and running 37"

meh... run it if you like it though and be happy

Personally I figure if you're on a real budget then track down some junkyard disco spare CVs and axles, throw them in the back and wheel it until you break it... then worry about lockers and toy conversions later

Like I said I'm running HD GBR axles but wouldn't be if they weren't on my truck when I got it, I'd hold out for some real strength... you don't NEED to change anything
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

I offroad in tuttle creek orv park and kansas rocks. 5 inches of lift and 35's nothing wrong with that. i have a double-cardan driveshaft, lt230 conversion. plus with an 1 inch lift and bigger tires than me he probably can't articulate much. my articulation is amazing and i can run over anything. i love it.
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:21 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RngRovaClassic View Post
I offroad in tuttle creek orv park and kansas rocks. 5 inches of lift and 35's nothing wrong with that. i have a double-cardan driveshaft, lt230 conversion. plus with an 1 inch lift and bigger tires than me he probably can't articulate much. my articulation is amazing and i can run over anything. i love it.
I'm only a couple hours south of you. If you are in the area, I will direct to some places where you can run over anything. I will stand by if you need help.
And I love you too
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:46 PM
discoLP
Kelly Langeluttig-Patrick
2000 Discovery II

damn queers
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:57 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

haha sounds good huck. ya I live in Kansas City so a drive to Manhattan and Ft. Scott takes a few hours but it's always fun.

back to the tires and lift thing, i was in a rush on my last post. i got 31 inch tires and they would barely fit with my air suspension all the way up. 5 inch lift is required on an RRC to fit 35's unless you like butchering your fenders and quarter panels. i like the look of my rover, i don't want to cut it up. if you really want to see a picture of my rover i'll show you, it's nothing drastic. plus the lift allows for better articulation, yeah you can use bump stops on cars with smaller lifts but that hurts your articulation. i like a lot of travel, especially in some parts of kansas rocks you need 35's and a big lift to clear some obstacles. anyway, i'll show you my ride, and you can be the judge but i like it and it the modifications work well for what I need.
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RngRovaClassic View Post
It's your money you want to spend.
But I would say talk to Keith at ROVERTRACKS and/or Bill at GREAT BASIN ROVERS. Both of them have some quality bits to upgrade your truck. And they both will speak with you and explain the advantages and disadvantages of their products in relation to your needs.

I run the (Rovertracks) Longtracks front CVs, RT heavy duty rear axles, (GBR) 411 gears with ARBs front and rear, and double cardon drive shafts. Also 33's with a 2 inch lift. Most of these upgrades were done this past winter but it was costly but well worth it. Truck does everything I want it to do so far.

Post a photo of your truck. It's worth a look.
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:20 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/P2250002.jpg
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
For some reason the lift doesn't look that big. Your truck looks great with those tires and lift.
My opinion is do the 411 gears, hd half shafts and if you have the money for a rear locker. Wait to do the cvs when you have money to add the locker to the front. Add more when you have the money, you can do it bit by bit and stay on budget.
Good luck and nice truck!
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:38 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

See now that's what I get for not paying attention... I didn't look at his profile so I figured he put 5 inches on a D90 for 35" tires (which I figure is not needed for that size) with an RRC meh... some would rather trim but if that's not your thing it is probably what you need...
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:17 AM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cred View Post
For some reason the lift doesn't look that big. Your truck looks great with those tires and lift.
My opinion is do the 411 gears, hd half shafts and if you have the money for a rear locker. Wait to do the cvs when you have money to add the locker to the front. Add more when you have the money, you can do it bit by bit and stay on budget.
Good luck and nice truck!
yeah i was thinking more along those lines of doing it bit by bit. thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
See now that's what I get for not paying attention... I didn't look at his profile so I figured he put 5 inches on a D90 for 35" tires (which I figure is not needed for that size) with an RRC meh... some would rather trim but if that's not your thing it is probably what you need...
haha, i wish you were right and I had a D90
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris, the thing is that if you are doing the ring and pinions, it makes no sense to wait on the lockers. Its double work. Lots of labor to just remove and strip things down again. Save some $$ and do them first. Once you have them installed, you can always do the shafts later. Just be careful on using the lockers prior to axle upgrades.. Jorge has been running stock front shafts with a TT and 36" tires for years. Go Figure.. And he is not easy on the skinny pedal..

Nice truck by the way
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:26 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

wow, a TT 36's and stock shafts? i'm surprised they haven't snapped.

i have another question on an entirely different subject. my car tends to, lets say, wander around the road when driving. the steering wheel is pretty loose. turns on it's own when I hit bumps. My tie rods are kind of bent out of shape and my steering dampner is shot. i'm pretty sure it's the stock one from 15 years ago. also one of the rods is bent a little bit. i'm sure that has something to contribute to it. i've never messed with steering so i don't know much about it but if you could enlighten me that would be awesome. thanks!
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:29 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

from your description it sounds like you know the bits that need to be replaced.... the easy part of steering are the parts you've listed so go at it I'd say
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Some of that can be in the suspension bushings as well. But as Brad says sounds like you should do the things you have noted.
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:18 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoLP View Post
damn queers
All I can do is chuckle. Good first post. There is a site called discoweb you should check out.
And I love you too
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:01 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

haha, i guess i know more than I thought about steering. i guess i will go ahead and replace all that. thanks everyone for your opinions and help. i used to use landroversonly but this forum seems so much more informed on rovers. thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions