rhinoliner over Dynomat? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 29th, 2006, 03:54 AM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

rhinoliner over Dynomat?

The D90 soft top that I bought several months ago has Dynomat Extreme lining the sides of the back. I was wanting to put Rhinoliner in the back. I have read the previous posts on these products, but still have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone out there ever put Rhinoliner over Dynomat?

2) Anything that one should avoid putting the Rhinoliner over (i.e., certain screws, bolts, panels, etc.)?

Thanks,

Heston
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

i have rhino-ed everything and LOVE it. i do wich, however, that i had rhino-ed the inside of the battery box and the computer box. it is supposed to stop all rust that it is put over which seems logical because it doesnt allow moisture or oxygen to touch the metal. mine ran about $ for the prep and the spray ... front and back.
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:30 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Rhino Liner has to go over a painted surface. They won't spray it over dyna mat unless they can prep and prime the dynamat and I doubt they can prime that foil backing on the dyna mat.

Just don't cover any bolts that you'll need to access in the future and it will be great.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2006, 02:25 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does anyone know of any good companys that sell a DIY spray in liner kit?
Old August 29th, 2006, 03:12 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Does anyone know of any good companys that sell a DIY spray in liner kit?

I have heard good things about a product called Lizard Skin in regards to blocking heat and sound. I have never used it but I believe it is a DIY job. Just Google Lizard Skin and I am sure you will find it.

Here it is www.lizardskin.com
Old August 30th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Disco_Stu
Stuart
2000 DII

I had a defender line-x'd over top of of DynoMat, they used some kind of chemical to prep the dynomat before the sprayed it to make it more porous, but it went on just fine, and never had any problems with it.

-Stuart
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:10 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

thanks

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Heston
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

dynomat over herculiner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Stu
I had a defender line-x'd over top of of DynoMat, they used some kind of chemical to prep the dynomat before the sprayed it to make it more porous, but it went on just fine, and never had any problems with it.

-Stuart
can anyone see anything wrong with a herculinder sandwich (herc, then dyna, then herc again) and eventually the plan is to chequer plate over all of that? any comments suggestions?
-J

If it seems as though its gonna work out I will probably be ordering several sheets of chequer plating (group buy maybe to save shipping for everyone?? idk)
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

Question dyna over herc then more herc??

sorry for the double post kind of, but It would be nice to hear from some of the more experienced on this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Hey Jason, why do you want to put all that extra work on yourself if you eventually plan to checker plate the truck?

I have not heard to many good things about the Herculiner. I heard it's watery and doesnt last, eventually flakes off.

I like the idea of the Dynomat. Personally the combination of Dynomat and Linex would be the perfect choice in my opinion. I recently had my truck Line-x. If I would have thought it through, I would have also Dynomated first. Overall, I am happy with it.

Just inquiring, what the method of your madness is, always willing to learn something new! [img]images/smilies/happy.gif[/img]

Ade

Well its probably a bit overboard, but I already have a half-assed herculiner done throughout (previous owner) I like it, but like you said it is a bit flaky, so I'd like to touch it up anyway. And I just got out of the Marines in march so i'm used the the heavy plated hummers out there is why im goin a bit overboard. Anyway, I would like to do some soundproofing, but I have that herculiner already on there, and I figured it would be less work to cover over then to puttyknife the entire stuff off. I zm easily down for using line-x or what not, I would rather doit myself. So i was looking into lizardskin as well, it has some soundproofing qualities as well (so they say)So if i double up, I wont have to worry about the dyna stuff getting saturated at all, and it will be sealed with the second layer of herculiner (or whatever, I just want another layer of liner to seal it all). But then I want to run Black powdercoated chequer plating throughout, I saw it done in a 90 bed and it looked awesome. I like the stuff LenB made, but its just not consistent enough. But he at least has plans made for the doors and such I could probably use. Its just the shipping will end up being about 40% of the cost (i've emailed a couple, but its not too bad if I order all pieces at once. I dont know is that too crazy? I just think the end product will be so clean looking, and It should do a decent job of soundproofing, weatherproofing (silicone seals where ends meet id dont know yet), It just looked really good on a red one... I will try to post pics of this madman project, but goota get the liner touched up first.. I want to get it all laid out this weekend for pics "before"... If you think the forums would benefit from posting this publicly feel free, I'd be appreciative of all your guys' experience, I'm just a newbie..
_Jason
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:54 AM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Update -- I have now had Rhinoliner over Dynamat for almost 5 years and all is great. Granted, the Rhinoliner guy and I both did really good prep on my truck before it was sprayed, but application is perfect so far.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions