Rhino Lining a defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:26 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Rhino Lining a defender

Has anyone rhino lined the interior of their D-90. I would like to replace to poor Land Rover interior sound proofing on my D-90. I am looking at Rhino and Hercaliner. The Hercaliner is from Auto zone and is self applied. While the Rhino liner is done at a special shop. Anyone have any other ideas that worked to clean up the interior?

Matt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:41 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Matt, here's some links on the Forum to check out. If you searched and did not find much it was due to the spelling of Herculiner (http://www.herculiner.com/).

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2183

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2068

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1153

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/replace-tranny-hump-insulation-64.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1953
Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:43 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

[Edit]
Nevermind.. I see Mike is on the case already.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Some pics! Yeah I know, it's dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-011S.JPG
Views:	771
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1168   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-012S.JPG
Views:	833
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1169  

Name:	MVC-013S.JPG
Views:	789
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1170  
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:45 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I know this has nothing to do with Rhino Lining but what is the plastic container in the passenger footwell, Mike?
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzel
I know this has nothing to do with Rhino Lining but what is the plastic container in the passenger footwell, Mike?
That is a rubber made container that I stuck the ECM in. Very bling Bling compaired to the ziplock bag it was in.
Old August 4th, 2004, 03:05 PM
m.michaels
Matthew Michaels
1997 D90 SW

LineX

Matt,

I did LineX the front part of my interior - removed the seat boxes, unriveted them, had them sprayed top and bottom. Then with more silcon than Pamela Anderson put the whole thing back together - I am doing the rest of the firewall in the next two weeks - and this time I will buy a tube or two of the linex (I think the others sell tubes of it as well) that I will use to "glue" the rest of the panels back together. It will be a pain if I ever need to remove the floor panels but then again, i find it theraputic to remove items from my D-90 for no particular reason.

The LineX is not very rubbery - so don't use it if you want something more spongy - but for me at least it has not worn at all over the past 2 years.
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:20 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

OK, I read all the above links... but this still doesn't lead me to a definite conclusion as to which is better, depending on the application. I'm not sure one-size-fits-all.

Line-X, Rhino liner, Brown bread, Herculiner, Body Schutz, Dynamat/dynamat extreme.. which one is:

1) best for sound deadening in the firewall/hood/door areas??
2) best for sound deadening and heat shielding under the seats and over the tranny hump?
3) best for sound deadening, heat shielding and toughness in the floorpan/tub pan areas?
4) best for heat shielding and sound deadening for a headliner application?
5) best looking visually
6) other quality I'm missing (besides cost)?

For example, I was thinking of perhaps the Brown Bread or Dynamat Extreme for under hood, firewall, under door panels and perhaps under the seat and center console area... these areas don't experience direct pressure from people's weight, so a weaker but perhaps better insulator would be best here. Is there anything else that would be good to use here? What about the spray-in insulative lightweight closed-cell foam I've seen used in some vehicles and aircraft? And, what is this 3M Body Schutz stuff and does anyone have experience with it? I'm using a simple insulative double-mylar sheet not unlike bubblewrap in my baja race truck, which works OK... but not good enough for something I want to spend alot of quality time in.

Next, I was unsure of using either Line-X or a more rubbery Rhino- or Hercu-liner product for the floor pan areas and perhaps tub pan and walls. These areas have to be tougher due to the wear from human and cargo traffic. They also aren't hidden by any panels, so they have to look nice, too. I'm assuming no carpet, but I guess I could add that in

Then, for a headliner, insulation and soundproofing are requirements...but, is something like Brown Bread really necessary, or would spray-in or brush-in be OK?

Any trade-offs from people who've tried a few of these products?

PS did anyone see the white D90 SW which had the complete exterior rhino-lined?? It was on Ebay a month or two ago - that thing was....well, it looked both cool and really odd. I bet he doesn't have a problem with dings and scratches, though.
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:21 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Jason,
I would go with line-x or rhinoliner....my experience with this has been that dynamat is used more for sound systems and keeping the bass from rattling in the doors and trunk...It may work, I don't really know but i would go with something that i know worked liked Line-X....

Jason Habbal

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old August 5th, 2004, 06:45 PM
howellm70
Michael Howell

I've got dynamat extreme all around and it works great for sound dampening...after installed behind the door panels, the doors actually shut with a nice dense thud sound. Not sure how good it works from a heat shielding perspective but mine rig doesn't seem to get to hot in the summer (its always cold in the winter cuz the heater just can't seem to keep up).

All my dyomat is hidden by genuine Land rover mats so it has no real impact from a visual perspective. Durability?...don't know, ask me in another year or so.

When I was making the decision as to what to use, I thought I remember people saying line-x rhinoloner don't do much for sound deadening...more for durability, protection, etc.
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:50 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Michael you are correct....I would say that dynomat would not last long in durability standpoint..As for sound dampening dynomay is second to none BUT for protection and durability I would have to go with Line-X or Rhinoliner....Also like you said who knows what will happen to the dynomat.....Just my $0.02

Jason Habbal

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:17 AM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Jason,

I have used Rhino liner in my old NAS 90 and Line-X on my Hybrid and they both work well. Line-X is harder than rhino and seems to hold up better. Avoid The Black color in either. The rear of the rover becomes a Black hole and you will loosing things left and right back there. I went with a grey and it is super. I did the entire rear tub and seat box. I also used Acoustical matting ( same as Dynamat) from McMaster-Carr for the bulkhead,doors, roof solid side panels etc. Basically everywhere you don't see. It's make the rover very quiet. I will attach a few shots of the build up so you can get a good look at the Line-X. I also run carpet in the rear and front foot wells which is nice. I attached a shot of the inside showing the roof. I have since covered it with Light Grey GM headliner which trims it out great. I had my tub and seatbox bone during the buildup so it was really cheap $275 for everything but I did all the prep work and it sat at his shop for over a month until they were shooting grey. You can also have the texture of the surface adjusted for Line -X from glass smooth to rip you knees off rough so make sure you ask. They can also fill small holes if you want. Good luck

Follow-up Post:

I forget there pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rollcage10.JPG
Views:	768
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1197   Click image for larger version

Name:	roverx inside.JPG
Views:	867
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1198  

2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:07 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Hi Scott,

That looks nice - that's kindof the effect I would be looking for (though I have black interior so I'd have to go darker w/ the tub liner) - as quiet as possible in the appropriate spots where wear isn't the primary concern, and as durable as possible where it is.

Do you get alot of heat transfer through the seat/tranny hump with the Line-X?

Quiet is good! Can you comfortably talk on a mobile phone while going down the highway? What about conversations inside the vehicle?
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:52 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Jason,

The Line-x does pretty well with the heat. As for overall noise, I can use my bluetooth head set when driving without an issue. I can even use the voice dialing. I can easily carry on a conversation with the radio on and not be yelling. I do also have a good sound pad on the bonnet which makes a big difference. The bulkhead is covered top to bottom with Dynamat and I have sealed up every hole to stop the wind noise. It not the quiet of driving in a Honda but comfortable enough for everyday use. I'm pretty sure Line-X has a darker grey and I think you can get it to match colors if I remember. You can also paint it if you like. IMHO a spray on bed liner is some of the best money you can spend on a rover.
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions