Rhino liner / Line-x questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2010, 10:32 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Rhino liner / Line-x questions

As part of my build I am planning to Rhino Line or line-x the seat base, front floor plates, trans covers and the rear tub but have a few questions.

I am planning to have the items done off the truck in as many pieces as possible so I can service things as needed in the future. However I am wondering if I should take the floor out of the rear tub and have it shot off the truck or if I should leave it in. On one hand if I leave it installed it will make for a nice water tight seal, on the other hand it would be hard to remove in the future (not sure why I would ever need to remove it other than a major accident)

Question #2 is what product to go with? Trying to weigh the pros and cons of each product and having a hard time trying to decide.

Visually I prefer the Line-x, it seems like a cleaner / more consistent install and product where the rhino liner seems less consistent in appearance and thickness. Hands down I prefer the look of the Line-X but there are a few things that I am still unsure of.

I have heard that Rhino is superior for sound deadening compared to Line-x. Sound deadening is one of the reasons I want to install a liner product but how much of a difference are we talking about between the 2?

Durability: from what I have seen the Line-x seems to be tougher where the Rhino can rip or tear with sharp objects. This is just my personal observation and I would be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Livability: I know the rhino liner is softer on the knees and body if I am crawling in and out of the back of the 90 but what about cleaning and maintenance between the 2?

UV Stability: I have heard Line-X is superior where Rhino you have to add a UV product and maintain it or it will fade over time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2010, 11:23 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Dave-

I had heard the same things as you in regards to Line-x vs. Rhino Lining. That said, I went with Rhino in the bed of the HCPU. Cost was comparable, but Rhino was a bit cheaper. I went to both places and the Line-x dealer (at least here) was a pain in the arse. He said that I'd have to steam clean the bed as cleaning isn't included and they'd have to specially prime the aluminum for adhesion and the whole process would take 2+ days. I talked to Pikes Peak Rovers and they've Rhino Lined a bunch of Rover panels without issue. A lot less hassle and I liked the finished product better anyway. I've been very pleased with the Rhino Lined pickup bed (and so have to dogs). Let me know if you want to see it.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think a lot of the differences are based on perceptions and anecdotal information. I've got Ultimate Liner under the seat box and floor boards of the Tdi 90, some other brand under the 110, and Line-X in the bed of the Dodge and on the inside of the 90's soft top doors. The Line-X is by far the best material appearance wise, but I can't tell any difference in sound deadening or durability between products. I beat the hell out of the Line-X in my Dodge, and despite showing wear, held up well. It was under a tonneau so no fading.

I really like the products on the underside of the floor and seat box so you don't have to look at them. I'd rather have paint and removable floor mats inside. Also, rocks hitting the underside don't make such a racket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

I used to spray all of these products on trucks and suv's when I was in school. The line-x is sprayed at high pressure and very hot temperature. They use the same amount of material as rhino, but because of the pressure and the heat it is much more dense on the vehicle. This is why it looks like a thinner coat. The line-x is much tougher regardless of what anyone says. As for the sound reduction, the rhino works better. Because it is less dense, and comes out in a thicker coat it acts like a sponge for sound. The looks are better with line-x also. That being said, you have to chose what is more important to you.... the sound or the toughness/looks.
Old July 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

I used rhino on the entire interior tub of my old D90 (doors and all) great at sound deadening and because 75 % of the time I had the soft top / hard top on it did not fade. I sprayed my military trailer inside and out (the entire thing) with line-x a year after I did it the entire thing (never covered) chalked up (turned to a dull mat black finis) really pissed me off I never though it needed UV protection. Either product will kill noise and seal the tub up so sand water and dirt cant kill it , better than any self adhesive backed sound deadener. They now offer for extra $ a UV inhibitor.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

I had the tub sprayed in line-x as it seemed much tougher on the comparison samples i got hold off.
my tub was full of holes the PO had drilled into it some were 8mm, I was told by the line-x guy that as long as i backed the holes with tape it would be fine.

I had the tub and both sides of the bulkhead done along with the rear door and i'm chuffed with it,
I'd consider having the front section done but only as individual components as line-x is a bitch to cut.
regards all
Gren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0778 (Large).JPG
Views:	461
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	29327  
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Hey Gren,

I notice you have a raised area on the floor of your tub...is that the lid of some kind of storage bin you installed below the tub? I've been contemplating the same modification myself...
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

What is with the handle / hold downs in the wheel wells ? Have a specific function ?
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Velardi View Post
I used rhino on the entire interior tub of my old D90 (doors and all) great at sound deadening and because 75 % of the time I had the soft top / hard top on it did not fade. I sprayed my military trailer inside and out (the entire thing) with line-x a year after I did it the entire thing (never covered) chalked up (turned to a dull mat black finis) really pissed me off I never though it needed UV protection. Either product will kill noise and seal the tub up so sand water and dirt cant kill it , better than any self adhesive backed sound deadener. They now offer for extra $ a UV inhibitor.

What did that end up costing you? the rihno that is
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It looks like his tailgate laying in the bed.

charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Hey Gren,

I notice you have a raised area on the floor of your tub...is that the lid of some kind of storage bin you installed below the tub? I've been contemplating the same modification myself...
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

The Rhino in my '97 Defender ran about $450 (of course that was back in 1997 )
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi chaps, it is indeed my tailgate lying in the bed.
I made the tie-downs and cut the wheelboxes to suit, i wanted something more substantial than the normal tie down rings. always seem to have crap to haul.

I also thought about putting storage in the floor or wheelboxes but am in the process of building a 6" high draw unit for the back & will also get the top surface sprayed with line-x to blend in.

I paid 300 to get the rear tub, door and bulkhead behind the seats sprayed.

regards

Gren
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

This company makes some nice load space security and storage draws
http://www.mobilestoragesystems.fsne.../products.html
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:47 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

The odds of wanting to remove the bed floor without removing the rest of the tub are slim to none. Leave it all together and get a good seal.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
It looks like his tailgate laying in the bed.

charles
oy, my hopes are dashed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions