Defender Source Forum banner

RHD to LHD wiper motor fix

Tags
lhd motor rhd
11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ajh 
#1 ·
After reading the write-up on Doug's site I tackled it today, it did become obvious after I opened the motor. 4 odd sized screws and the cover came off, 2 c-clips, one on the inside and one on the back of the motor, outside.

I just swapped the circular gear from 6 to 12 o'clock put the 2 c-clips back on, and put it all back together.

One question I have was what is the purpose of the set screw on the motor?

And I thought some pictures might help somebody out.

I also bought the 1st shorter tube section for the LHD, and upgraded to the TD5 wiper wheel boxes to match up with my TD5 bulkhead.

Makes you wonder how people figure this stuff out? Thanks to Dividing Creek for this one.

1st pic LHD on left , RHD on right

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The set screw positions the commutator in relation to the brushes, and maybe has some affect on the worm gear, but I couldn't suss what exactly. I just set it so the brushes were in a less worn part of the commutator. Works fine after.

#3 ·
so i did the conversion and when I turn the wipers on, the wipers went down off the window, down towards the bonnet.
I just took the wiper motor apart again and put it back to the 12 o'clock position (1st pic left side), put it in the truck and it went the wrong way again and parked back at the 6 o'clock position(1st pic right side)
Any ideas why this is happening?

#5 ·
Got it,
on the back of the gear there is a white thing that depresses the park switch, you can pop it out and move it to the other side of the gear, then it parks correctly and starts in the right direction, if that makes any sense.
Sorry should of taken some pics.

#6 ·
All that I did on mine was re-locate the white plastic piece on the backside/inside and with the shorter tube to get the wheel boxes in the correct position for the LHD all was fine but the motor had no power. Replaced the motor and all is fine.

#7 ·
If the wipers went the right way, but downwards, perhaps you have them backwards in the rest position.

Also, for the tube alteration; using a 3/8 flare tool means you can just cut the RHD tube and re-flare it rather than purchasing a new tube. You'll need a flare kit at some point anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.