RHD to LHD wiper motor fix - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2011, 07:54 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
RHD to LHD wiper motor fix

After reading the write-up on Doug's site I tackled it today, it did become obvious after I opened the motor. 4 odd sized screws and the cover came off, 2 c-clips, one on the inside and one on the back of the motor, outside.

I just swapped the circular gear from 6 to 12 o'clock put the 2 c-clips back on, and put it all back together.

One question I have was what is the purpose of the set screw on the motor?

And I thought some pictures might help somebody out.

I also bought the 1st shorter tube section for the LHD, and upgraded to the TD5 wiper wheel boxes to match up with my TD5 bulkhead.

Makes you wonder how people figure this stuff out? Thanks to Dividing Creek for this one.

1st pic LHD on left , RHD on right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0091.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	37812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0092.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	37813  

Name:	IMAG0093.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	37814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0094.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	37815  

Name:	IMAG0095.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	37816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0096.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	37817  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2011, 03:09 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

The set screw positions the commutator in relation to the brushes, and maybe has some affect on the worm gear, but I couldn't suss what exactly. I just set it so the brushes were in a less worn part of the commutator. Works fine after.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 21st, 2012, 05:18 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
so i did the conversion and when I turn the wipers on, the wipers went down off the window, down towards the bonnet.
I just took the wiper motor apart again and put it back to the 12 o'clock position (1st pic left side), put it in the truck and it went the wrong way again and parked back at the 6 o'clock position(1st pic right side)
Any ideas why this is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2012, 06:24 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

When you figure it out post the answer since I am guessing I will have the same issue since I used this thread to switch mine
Old April 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Got it,
on the back of the gear there is a white thing that depresses the park switch, you can pop it out and move it to the other side of the gear, then it parks correctly and starts in the right direction, if that makes any sense.
Sorry should of taken some pics.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

All that I did on mine was re-locate the white plastic piece on the backside/inside and with the shorter tube to get the wheel boxes in the correct position for the LHD all was fine but the motor had no power. Replaced the motor and all is fine.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

If the wipers went the right way, but downwards, perhaps you have them backwards in the rest position.

Also, for the tube alteration; using a 3/8 flare tool means you can just cut the RHD tube and re-flare it rather than purchasing a new tube. You'll need a flare kit at some point anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lhd, motor, rhd