RHD to LHD conversion question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

RHD to LHD conversion question

Has anyone done this? I am getting a RHD d90 with 2.5L NA diesel and am looking for experience and a complete parts list...anyone?
thanks
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i think you would have t start with the bulkhead and move a shitpile of stuff around in the engine compartment steering heater box why not just keep it on the right side. It doesnt seem cost effective, it might be easier to just get a LHD Defender
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:00 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I depends on how you get the parts. If you order them all from RN it will cost a fortune, buy used and it will be better. The bulkhead can be adapted, but its work - cut new pedal holes, close the old ones, switch the wipers over etc. Obviously you need lots of LHD dash parts... Also, you'll need a new steering box, pahhard assy. and probably also have to swap out the RH swivel ball housing for a LHD part so you can attach the drag link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I did this conversion starting with a LHD bulkhead. All the dash stuff is different and I mean all of it. Also, the entire heater assembly is different. You need a LHD steering box and like 2 brackets. IF your axlew does not have the steering bracket on the opposite swivel, you will need a swivel housing.

You can reuse the steering column and all the pedels. Oh and you need new brake lines and clutch lines too. The most expensive stuff is the dash parts though. what year is the truck? I have all the part #'s if you need things and a good sorce for parts in the UK to get you everything..

From my experience I would get a new bulkhead though and start from there. they are only like $350 and no rust or mods to deal with. I even Galv mine then painted it so it will never rust.
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

thanks Randy

Thanks...I'll PM you for the details...
George
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've also got some LHD dash parts I can sell you if you want - they need to be fixed up with POR-15 and maybe some vinyl, but it would be a cheap place to start.
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:47 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase
Has anyone done this? I am getting a RHD d90 with 2.5L NA diesel and am looking for experience and a complete parts list...anyone?
thanks
George
Why do you want to convert it. The only good reason I could think of would be being able to use the drive up windows at fast food joints. I have a RHD and love it. Took me about 1 hour to get used to it. I say keep it the way it is.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
http://www.dividingcreekroverimports.com/d...rive_conversion

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Looks great!

Nice illustrated write-up! So.... How much time (roughly) did it take you to install all the parts?
Was any part hard to find?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Kevin,
my post was from 2006...project long dead.
George
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Loic,

A bunch. Probably have close to 25 hrs into this. Part of that was figuring it out as I went along. If some one was going to tackle this I would allow for two full weekends. I did this while tearing the truck apart for a repower so my project had an empty engine compartment which made it easier. Swaping out the front axle by yourself is a job.
Swapping the steering knuckle would be the easy way to go but I wanted to upgrade to 24 spline.
I didn't mind rhd but since it was apart and I intend to add a/c the time was right.
Still finishing this part of the project up and will go back and clean up the write up and add some pictures. I got the a/c system out of Charles Galpin's 90 on Tuesday and will go ahead and install that as well. I also swithced all of the gauges except the speedo to VDO (added an EGT and dumped the amp/voltmeter temporarily).
I had no trouble sourcing any of the parts. You re-use the dash top pad. The pre-bent brake lines I special ordered from Rovers North. Every Monday after three they place an order to the UK. If the part is in stock in the UK they have it by Friday. I had the lines the following Monday. George @ RDS had most of the dash parts (all that I needed) in stock.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old September 12th, 2008, 08:31 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Great pix Doug. I would just point out that not all bulkheads are precut for the pedals on both sides. Mine was rhd specific but it did not matter since i changed my bulkhead over to a nice new galv. one when I did my conversion. Maybe just the early bulkheads were like this. As for the front axle, I found a 24 spliner as well and it actually had rhd and lhd knuckled on it which was cool. I think later style axles came with these but im not sure..
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Randy,

I know the later bulkheads are definately sided-although they too can be converted with just a little more effort. I haven't imported anything but 83's so I'm not sure when the changes were made. An axle with both right and left steering knuckles- that was a find. Do you recall what it was out of ?

Dividing Creek Imports

Old September 13th, 2008, 04:36 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Randy,

I know the later bulkheads are definately sided-although they too can be converted with just a little more effort. I haven't imported anything but 83's so I'm not sure when the changes were made. An axle with both right and left steering knuckles- that was a find. Do you recall what it was out of ?
I think all the later axles are that way.
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:01 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Doug, I actually bought my axle brand new in a crate from the the US Government. It was a 2002 vintage. Also picked up a 1.4 t-case at the time. got them both brand new for $1500 shipped. It was a deal and a half.

The guy told me it was left over stuff from a project they were doing with TD5 stuf. They only used the motors but had all the other drive train stuff for sale.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, lhd, rhd