RHD to LHD conversion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 8th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
RHD to LHD conversion

Hello All,

Sort of a long term plan, but what is needed parts-wise for a RHD to LHD conversion of an 1984 110?

My biggest concern is interior and electrical. Do I need a new harness or will the one I have work?

Interior questions:

It looks like the dash is not handed except for the grey backing plate, the grab handle on the passenger side, the trim piece on the edge of the shelf, and what else ??????

Stuff I know I need and have:

LHD axle assembly complete.
Panhard rod???
Panhard rod bracket
Steeering box (will a 4 bolt box fit to a three bolt collum)?

Stuff I need to do to the frame:

Weld on damper mount.
Weld on panhard mount holes.
Drill for LHD steering box and sleeve holes.

Stuff I need to do to the bulkhead:

Cut holes for clutch and brake pedal boxes on LH side (maybe patch heater holes?)
Patch holes on other side and fit heater holes in place.
Drill for steering colum???????

Can I take the gear shifter off and reposition like on an R380 (it has an LT95) or do I need to bend or buy a correct LHD one?

I don't care about the parking brake. I prefer it on the other side.

Stuff I don't have:
Brake lines
Clutch lines
anything interior
anything electrical

How much time should this take? Could it be done in a week?

A website detailing the project would be great.

*not legal advice*
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
You can make your harness work with mods. Wiper motor wiring, brake light switch wiring etc. You have to shorten some wirea and make others longer, but it can be done.
A lot of Defender frames have all the mounts for either RHD or LHD, unless its a really early frame you shouldn't need to do any fab on the frame.
The upper dash pad is uni-sex, but the lower dash pad, the wiper motor cover, the insert and even the dash face is different. The gauges are the same, but not much else in the dash.
Most axles are uni-sex, you just use a LHD panhard rod and such and you'll need the RH swivel hosuing for the drag link pick up.
Don't forget a new heater. If you have all the parts it can be done in a week. Usually some small part will trip you up though and it takes longer.
Email: info@eastcoastrover.com
I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

conversion, lhd, rhd