RHD Conversion and Truck Value - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
scottsdaleaz
Jared
D

RHD Conversion and Truck Value

Does converting a vehicle from RHD to LHD do anything to the value of the vehicle? Understaining the cost of the conversion, like anything else, I am wondering if a majority of folks would want an original LHD drive vehichle when making a purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I think it depends on the vehicle.
I dont think converting a RHD RR Classic to LHD will increase its value.
A 110 or 90 might be a different story.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:59 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleaz View Post
Does converting a vehicle from RHD to LHD do anything to the value of the vehicle? Understaining the cost of the conversion, like anything else, I am wondering if a majority of folks would want an original LHD drive vehichle when making a purchase.
it's always going to raise questions .... here's a question ... would you be happy letting you child ( assuming you have one ) drive a car where you had no direct knowledge of the quality of major conversion work?? ... or another way would you expect someone buying such a truck not to care?

Like salvage, re-color, different engines will always appeal to some and be a turn off for others ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
it's always going to raise questions .... here's a question ... would you be happy letting you child ( assuming you have one ) drive a car where you had no direct knowledge of the quality of major conversion work?? ... or another way would you expect someone buying such a truck not to care? Like salvage, re-color, different engines will always appeal to some and be a turn off for others ...
I can't see how a RHD to LHD could be unsafe at least no more of a risk than any vehicle that has had any repair work done. It is not like it is a cut and shunt or welding involved.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I can't see how a RHD to LHD could be unsafe at least no more of a risk than any vehicle that has had any repair work done. It is not like it is a cut and shunt or welding involved.
This is exactly what I was thinking, it's essentially just bolting on parts and cutting the footwell for new pedals.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:13 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
AFAIK, the conversion (done right) is about $7k. I doubt that conversion would add $7k in value to many rigs, with the possible exception of a very clean, low-mile 110.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:14 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Agreed. Rhd to Lhd is complete bolt on of stock parts just on the opposite side so definitely not unsafe. If someone does not know there way around the mechanics of a vehicle they should not be restoring or rebuilding one
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:15 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Like so any updates conversions etc, this is one that never pays back it's cost when sold.
It's still a ROW truck and the vin will reveal its heritage.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:19 PM
scottsdaleaz
Jared
D

Thanks for all your opinions. Let me ask another way, I am looking at a 110 that has the conversion, I verified this through the VIN, it was originally a RHD truck. If I were to sell the truck 5 years from now, would this turn off other potential buyers?
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:22 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Like so any updates conversions etc, this is one that never pays back it's cost when sold.
It's still a ROW truck and the vin will reveal its heritage.
I'm not sure I agree...I've always thought (and from what I've seen from sales) that LHD adds at least $5K to the price. Assuming it was a proper conversion, of course. Leave the wipers going the wrong way however, and it's points deducted!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:32 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for all your opinions. Let me ask another way, I am looking at a 110 that has the conversion, I verified this through the VIN, it was originally a RHD truck. If I were to sell the truck 5 years from now, would this turn off other potential buyers?
I reckon the LHD benefit would outweigh any doubt as to the workmanship.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:54 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I have roughly $1.5k into my LHD conversion. I was already replacing the frame and while everything was off I swapped parts around and switched to LHD. The only piece left is to find a lower dash assembly (Although mine is modified to work as is and I have covers that I built to fill the voids on the right hand side. If I stumble on a LHD lower dash that is reasonably priced I will swap it out. Complete front axles can be had fairly cheap as well as good used steering boxes. I would not say the vehicle is anymore unsafe because of the conversion. Over the last 30 years there have been several professional mechanics that worked on mine and had no business doing so. Including the one that did the engine conversion prior to my ownership. If the conversion looks feels good to you then I am sure it will to the next owner down the road.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
How much money are you afraid of losing in 5 years?
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:04 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Yes. And no.

Some buyers would desire the LHD. Others would be asking the same questions you are.

Bottom line is you will limit the audience of potential buyers. Whether that will prevent you getting what you consider fair value remains to be seen.

Remember value is only what someone is willing to pay ... Not the price you are willing to sell at.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:14 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Bottom line is you will limit the audience of potential buyers.
Don't you think that will be offset by those buyers who don't want a RHD rig & will prefer LHD?
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:53 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

LHD will be easier to sell and bring more money than RHD.

Most people do not want to drive a RHD here in the states and even if they do not mind RHD their spouse / family might not be down with driving a RHD stick shift rig.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Good LHD dash assemblies sell for ~$3k. A LHD disco front axle is approaching scrap price and steering boxes are readily available and not too expensive for a reman. If you are doing your own work, and the dash harness is an early one, you are looking at ~$4k in parts with things like steering lines and the proper LHD defender steering arm to drag link bracket. Short of a real beater, you should see that money back. If you are paying for labor, you might lose a little bit of money, but it is so worth it as driving RHD is less safe in my view.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:02 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Good LHD dash assemblies sell for ~$3k. A LHD disco front axle is approaching scrap price and steering boxes are readily available and not too expensive for a reman. If you are doing your own work, and the dash harness is an early one, you are looking at ~$4k in parts with things like steering lines and the proper LHD defender steering arm to drag link bracket. Short of a real beater, you should see that money back. If you are paying for labor, you might lose a little bit of money, but it is so worth it as driving RHD is less safe in my view.
Exactly... Well put. Dash and heater parts are the most expensive.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:20 PM
klawler9
Ken Lawler
none (yet)

Interesting topic. I just bought an '85 110 with RHD. The RHD is a different in the US and speaks to it's origins - at least to me. I actually prefer it because it is not something you see or drive every day.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:33 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Don't you think that will be offset by those buyers who don't want a RHD rig & will prefer LHD?
doesn't really matter what i think. only the data point that I wouldn't but a converted truck ..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, rhd