RHD Conversion and Truck Value - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:03 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by klawler9 View Post
Interesting topic. I just bought an '85 110 with RHD. The RHD is a different in the US and speaks to it's origins - at least to me. I actually prefer it because it is not something you see or drive every day.
I agree. RHD is not what I advise as a DD but as a second or third car to use casually, nothing beats it. I like a clean original truck and know I would never feel satisfied with a conversion.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:35 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I agree. RHD is not what I advise as a DD but as a second or third car to use casually, nothing beats it. I like a clean original truck and know I would never feel satisfied with a conversion. Clay
Same here; RHD vs LHD really makes no difference to me. I actually like the rhd; with easypass I find that the truck is serviceable. I also don't spend tons of time in parking garages ect. If it was going to cost me nothing I would do it but it's so specific to vehicle that I'm not sure it would be easy to justify.
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I import lots of ea. Some for dealers that sell them. Feedback from the dealers has been the LHD trucks sell much faster and for a significant premium over rhd. These trucks are meant/designed to be ambidextrous ie-easily converted in the field with factory parts. The reason the wiring harness enters the truck in the center of the bulkhead is so that it can route in either direction, the frame is pre-drilled on both sides etc.. I don't see how converting a truck from right to left using the factory correct parts could do anything but increase value here. The parts to do the job right/correctly are currently readily available. Even the EX-mod depot Witham's gets a significant premium for lhd trucks over rhd trucks of similar condition. They are worth more world wide.

Where things get sketchy is when a truck is converted to lhd and correct dash, wiper,brake,heater, parts aren't procured and the job looks like a frankenrover. Hell yeah that will impact value.

Clients have found trucks oversea's that have been converted to lhd and we have had them converted back to rhd prior to shipment just to get past US Customs. Once here they are converted back to lhd using the same parts removed oversea's and shipped over.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2014, 06:11 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I import lots of ea. Some for dealers that sell them. Feedback from the dealers has been the LHD trucks sell much faster and for a significant premium over rhd. These trucks are meant/designed to be ambidextrous ie-easily converted in the field with factory parts. The reason the wiring harness enters the truck in the center of the bulkhead is so that it can route in either direction, the frame is pre-drilled on both sides etc.. I don't see how converting a truck from right to left using the factory correct parts could do anything but increase value here. The parts to do the job right/correctly are currently readily available. Even the EX-mod depot Witham's gets a significant premium for lhd trucks over rhd trucks of similar condition. They are worth more world wide.

Where things get sketchy is when a truck is converted to lhd and correct dash, wiper,brake,heater, parts aren't procured and the job looks like a frankenrover. Hell yeah that will impact value.

Clients have found trucks oversea's that have been converted to lhd and we have had them converted back to rhd prior to shipment just to get past US Customs. Once here they are converted back to lhd using the same parts removed oversea's and shipped over.

Dammit.

You bring up some very good points. Along with Ron/EvilFij's points about safety and Randy asking why I was keeping my 110 RHD I am beginning to rethink what I am doing and might just go LHD on my rebuild. I know driving it around in it's current configuration is cool for a while but I am worried it might get old. With the amount of time and energy on fixing it I will want to drive it a lot once it is done. I am thinking LHD might be a little easier for the little things like dropping kids off at school, drive thrus, and making a turns on certain intersections.
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:07 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Shit Don. Now I feel bad I started this shit storm... If you go that route I will donate a leaking lhd steering box to the project... Prob could use it as a core or just reseal it.
Old February 6th, 2014, 09:15 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
Shit Don. Now I feel bad I started this shit storm... If you go that route I will donate a leaking lhd steering box to the project... Prob could use it as a core or just reseal it.
Nah, don't feel bad at all! My original plan was to make it LHD but I thought the cost would outweigh the benefit. The more I drive the RHD, (and it is cool for sure), I am starting to feel doing it right with LHD will add more value to the truck and be safer like Ron said. And you brought up a great point in the other thread, if I am doing a galvy bulkhead now is the time to do it.

And one benefit is (at this stage of the build at least) the LHD steering pieces can be sourced from a Disco 1. And Doug mentioned in a previous thread that a Disco 1 steering arm is a better solution than the Defender as the Defender ball joints rubbers seem to split easily (which was the case on my NAS). I just need to get a RTE relocation kit so the stabilizer can run up and out of the way. I am hoping a local junk yard has a Disco in the yard with the needed parts and for a decent price.

Also, the bulkhead I have is a LHD NAS 110. It might be easier to patch/fix by keeping it LHD so that kinda helps too.

The bitch is going to be the dash parts but I have time to source and my RHD dash is snotty anyway and I will need many new pieces.
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you are a sadist, I have a NAS 110 LHD dash that will be surplus to my needs. I would even throw in an entire 1995 LWB for LHD steering parts -- the box leaks, but the rest is all there.
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Stephen @ Safari HP has both old school and td5 style lhd dashes in stock, not trying to undermine Ron's sadistic offer or anything....

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 6th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Dammit.

You bring up some very good points. Along with Ron/EvilFij's points about safety and Randy asking why I was keeping my 110 RHD I am beginning to rethink what I am doing and might just go LHD on my rebuild. I know driving it around in it's current configuration is cool for a while but I am worried it might get old. With the amount of time and energy on fixing it I will want to drive it a lot once it is done. I am thinking LHD might be a little easier for the little things like dropping kids off at school, drive thrus, and making a turns on certain intersections.
Don,
You are good with metal and have that welder that does everything but give you a hand job. A rhd lower dash can be made into a lhd lower dash with some basic metal work and then recover it all over so that it looks uniform. Mike Sandone @ North America Overland had a great "how to" post on how he converted a rhd heater to a lhd heater. Those are the two most expensive bits. The cost for the rest is minimal or @ least reasonable.
You can do this for minimal expense. The part to switch the wiper rack to lhd is literally like $12-15

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 6th, 2014, 11:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Stephen @ Safari HP has both old school and td5 style lhd dashes in stock, not trying to undermine Ron's sadistic offer or anything....
I never want to sell anything, I only offer to sell to help others.
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I know this to be true, except for the Pappy's

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 6th, 2014, 11:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
I know this to be true, except for the Pappy's
That is true. Damn gout has rendered them useless to me although I have been cheating a bit and I did not sell the 15 which is my favorite.
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:28 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
If you are a sadist, I have a NAS 110 LHD dash that will be surplus to my needs. I would even throw in an entire 1995 LWB for LHD steering parts -- the box leaks, but the rest is all there.
Haha I thought I was a sadist for buying this rusty 110 and selling a really nice NAS in the first place! Thanks for the offer and I think you might have a 3 door tub that I keep thinking about too. But need to keep the garage tidy/tight or I will have some bigger problems with the wife

------ Follow up post added February 7th, 2014 09:32 AM ------

Quote:
Don, You are good with metal and have that welder that does everything but give you a hand job. A rhd lower dash can be made into a lhd lower dash with some basic metal work and then recover it all over so that it looks uniform. Mike Sandone @ North America Overland had a great "how to" post on how he converted a rhd heater to a lhd heater. Those are the two most expensive bits. The cost for the rest is minimal or @ least reasonable. You can do this for minimal expense. The part to switch the wiper rack to lhd is literally like $12-15
Thanks Doug - I think I overthink things on these vehicles and when i finally do it it I am: "that wasn't too bad". Well except for when it have to deal with rust or frozen bolts.

Will check out Mike's how to post. Thanks for the tip.
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:04 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
aren't the puma dash and bulkheads ambidextrous? meaning they can easily be configured for LHD.

Just a thought if you are going through the trouble of repairing a bulkhead anyway and trying to track down parts for a LHD dash, maybe just go PUMA...
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:33 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
aren't the puma dash and bulkheads ambidextrous? meaning they can easily be configured for LHD. Just a thought if you are going through the trouble of repairing a bulkhead anyway and trying to track down parts for a LHD dash, maybe just go PUMA...
I have no idea how much it will run but I have a feeling that since it is "Puma" it will be a lot!
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Don,
You are good with metal and have that welder that does everything but give you a hand job. A rhd lower dash can be made into a lhd lower dash with some basic metal work and then recover it all over so that it looks uniform. Mike Sandone @ North America Overland had a great "how to" post on how he converted a rhd heater to a lhd heater. Those are the two most expensive bits. The cost for the rest is minimal or @ least reasonable.
You can do this for minimal expense. The part to switch the wiper rack to lhd is literally like $12-15

Surfing around tonight and found his thread on ExPo: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...eferrerid=5797

I figured I would post so if this thread came up it would save someone some time.

BTW - I sourced a LHD steering box from a Disco I (with 37k miles) and a bunch of pieces like panhard rod, PS resi, and hoses for $200 from a local yard. The fluid that has come out of the box looks brand new so I am hoping it is in good shape.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, rhd