Revmoving lower dash on LR 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Post Revmoving lower dash on LR 90

I am trying to take apart the lower section of the dashboard on my 1988 Land Rover 90. All the screws that I can see are out, but the thing is still firmly held in to the firewall. This model has the AC louvres in the upper dash; no fresh air vents or glove box. Does anyone have any experience removing this? Pictures, shop manual PDF’s showing the dashboard removal etc. for this model most welcome.
Gregor Weiss

Old January 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Ed Freeman
2000 90 TD5
Hi Gregor,
I've just had a look at the manual for removing the lower dash on a standard model, which I've done two or three times. I'm not familiar with the AC version, however, and it's not listed in my manual either. There are 32 steps listed in the manual over 3 pages and as you've found, it's quite a complicated job and IMHO the Land Rover dash is one of the triumphs of poor British design.. I take it you've already removed the instruments, the switch panels, the 'handle at the end of the dash' etc.? I think your problem may lie in the two self-tapping screws (if my memory is correct) hiding at the back and underneath the plastic tray on the top of the lower section, which hold the 'upstanding' back lip of the lower section to the firewall. I have access to the 90 300TDi manual on CD and can send pages as attachments on a regular e-mail, get me at foxhole4bb then the usual suffix at aol. After owning several 90's over the years, I believe the dash is much the same. Ed

Old January 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor
you must start from the top and work your way down... take the top pad off first and the guages then work your way down unfortunatley. that is the first piece that goes on in the dash
Legend in My Own Mind.
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90
Randy is right thats the only way to get the dash out and you will find that it contains almost as many bits as the rest of the vehicle
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joe Still
95 D90 NAS 3.9l ST AA Yellow #2719
Dash removal

What started as a turnstalk replacement bloomed into whole dash refurb. Can't get the lower dash out however which prevents me chasing some rust I'd like to treat.

I have removed several screws and the lower dash is still solid as a rock. Can't find anything to account for it remaining fixed.

Looked thru the DVD parts which shows n9o parts I haven't removed. Can't find much in shop manual.

Anyone deal with that lately? js
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:50 PM
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top
I did this recently. I didn't have any troubles getting down to the bulkhead. I'm going to start putting it back together soon so maybe I can help. Can you post a pic and mark where you pulled screws? Btw it all has to come off.
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Capt Milks
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25
I took mine out and didn't run into anything that that. But as Randy says the very bottom is the first to go on. You should have a metal tray that fits into the lower piece but as I remember it is secured to the bottom dash piece and not the bulkhead. You might be missing some screws or the piece has glued itself to the bulkhead. If you have rot behind that piece it might be as simple as getting a flat edge behind it and get it to move away from the bulkhead.
Land Rover 110
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250
Disassemble from the top down, 1000's of screws
Mike Hammond
Diesels.....great when they're going and so easy to work on.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
And there's some small (M4 or M5) screws that go from the top/back of the lower piece into the actual bulkhead itself, kind of under where the wiper rods are.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, dash, vin