Review of Land Rover test systems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

Review of Land Rover test systems

I get queries all the time about the test systems we use to diagnose Rovers. I decided to write a review of the two principal tools, the Autologic and the T4. You can read it here. http://www.robisonservice.com/articl...estsystems.asp

Any comments are welcome. I will revise the article if things are missing or wrong.

One question I will answer in advance is "why don't I include Rovacom?"

The answer is that Rovacom is a one-man company with no tech support to speak of and an unreliable product that is not kept up to date. 7-8 years ago Rovacom had the best tester on the market but Diagnos, who makes Autologic, poured money into development and there is no longer any comparison between the two tools. A Rovacom is really a weak subset of an Autologic.

Those of you with Rovacom gear may or may not agree but I've used them all and that's my experience. I scrapped mine.

The other test system I reviewd is the T4, which is the factory tool.

Some of you will say, :What about the new IDS system?" I will have a review of that soon, but it builds upon T4 and its software, so nothing in this review is obsoleted. IDS is for 2004 model year and newer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Awesome article John! I never knew you could do some of the things you can with those to systems! Pretty cool stuff!

Just an idea you may want to consider, if the T4 system can be installed on a different computer you could put it on a Panasonic Toughbook. Toughbooks are hardened laptops, they come with touchscreens and have been tested to be dropped from a height of 3 feet in any direction even with the screen open! If you don't need the fastest machine in the world you can pick them up on EBay for less then $1000, but new they are near $3000.

Again thanks for the article! Your write ups are always great!
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
robisonservice
John Robison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Awesome article John! I never knew you could do some of the things you can with those to systems! Pretty cool stuff!

Just an idea you may want to consider, if the T4 system can be installed on a different computer you could put it on a Panasonic Toughbook. Toughbooks are hardened laptops, they come with touchscreens and have been tested to be dropped from a height of 3 feet in any direction even with the screen open! If you don't need the fastest machine in the world you can pick them up on EBay for less then $1000, but new they are near $3000.

Again thanks for the article! Your write ups are always great!
Mike, you can run the T4 software on a Toughbook. We have run it on other computers. The newest version of this system is being sold on a Toughbook platform. Dealers are paying about $22k for the whole package.

I did not load mine on a Toughbook because I treat it gently and I like the laptop functionality. And I figure I can replace the laptop if needed anyway.

The laptop is included with the T4, so I'd have to go buy a Toughbook separately and there didn't seem to be a reason for that.

As my article says, if you want the touchscreen and a tougher package, buy an Autologic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is too bad that you need to spend so much on a real system to work on Land Rovers.

For Audis and VWs, you can do everything the dealer equipment can do for $300 (plus a computer).
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Makes me so happy I bougth the Auto-Logic way back when.

I should get John to have a chat with the Ian at RPI. He tried to tell me the Auto-Logic couldn't do this and couldn't do that (stuff I know it does because I use is all the time) and that I needed a Rovacom. I told him he was full of it.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
robisonservice
John Robison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
It is too bad that you need to spend so much on a real system to work on Land Rovers.

For Audis and VWs, you can do everything the dealer equipment can do for $300 (plus a computer).
John, if there were a million Land Rovers out there, as there are VWs, there would be a bigger base to spread the cost of test gear. That would make it cheaper.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Makes me so happy I bougth the Auto-Logic way back when.

I should get John to have a chat with the Ian at RPI. He tried to tell me the Auto-Logic couldn't do this and couldn't do that (stuff I know it does because I use is all the time) and that I needed a Rovacom. I told him he was full of it.
Mike, there was a time way back when that Rovacom did do more. But that time is not now. There is a vast difference today in favor of Autologic. Feel free to drop me a line if you ever have a particular question about the capabilities of these machines.

You are welcome to have Ian call me.

I have received training from Bosch (maker of the chassis electronics), Land Rover, Omnitec, and Autologic and I continue to do so, to the tune of several weeks/year and thousands of pages of study. So I'm usually pretty current with test and service technologies. I also use Autologic and Bosch test gear on Jaguar, BMW, and Mercedes. Our company is authorized Bosch auto system service and we support those lines, also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions