reverse lights agggghhhhh - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 29th, 2013, 06:39 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
reverse lights agggghhhhh

I know this is not a new topic but my white lights do not turn on when I'm in reverse (I think this is a new thing). I have a 94 d90 that was converted from a manual to an automatic (I've seen spare wires under the car just sort of hanging down, but I'm not a mechanic). I bought a brand new left driver side rear taillight assembly so it cannot be anything back there (corrosion etc.). I've read that there might be a kit that resolves the issue and it was a "known problem" for LRNA. I also read the following:

Reverse is behind the gear selector to the side . 2 wires coming out of it, it's the only switch there

I'm trying to relay this to my repair guy. If he can't fix it I'm off to Lamorna in Seattle.

Can anybody send me the wiring schematic for this? Could I find it in my manual CD-ROM?

If I can get all this to my guy I think he could fix it. Thanks!!! If you can help I will air mail you a nice bottle of Washington State Wine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:48 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Does the reverse switch on the transmission work? This is the second thing I'd check after the bulb.
Old July 30th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the wiring is uber simple. Basically a single hot switched @ trans and grounded @ lamp housing with the universal black ground. Forget the reverse lamp wire color but it stays the same through the model years. I usually wire up reverse lamps on both sides and bag the rear fog since I never use them. Problems are usually the spade connectors @ the swtch or the ground connection @ the lamp. Quick way to test switch is unplug two wires @ switch and touch them together with key on, while someone watches the light. if the light works when the wires touch the the switch is either not screwed all the way into the trans case or the switch contacts are toast. This assumes you have power to the switch from the fuse box which can be verified with a test lamp or a meter.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2013, 02:52 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
thanks so much for the information! I will pass this along to my guy and hopefully it makes sense to him. If he has questions I will repost them here. I'm a financial advisor so if you need some free financial advice let me know.
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:11 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
I just forwarded your response to my guy, what he says that he needs more than anything is a wiring schematic for the rear tail lights. I listened to him and he said something about there not being a ground back there, yada yada and then there are some wires sticking out of the transmission and he doesn't know where they go to yada yada. I dunno. But does anybody have a wiring schematic for this. Also, he states that Land Rover is very private about not sending schematics, perhaps they want to do all the Land Rover work, I dunno. I'll tell you this, though. The Land Rover dealerships I deal with in Seattle and Bellevue, whenever I get my car out of their shop it usually is returned to me in worse condition then when I brought it in and esp with wiring, they've been known to fix one problem while creating 3 more. It's a sad state of affairs.
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:16 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
See if you can find it in one of these. Searching "diagram" will get you further than searching "schematic" btw.

1994-95:
http://www.internet-tools.co.uk/land...l%20(1993).pdf

1997:
http://www.internet-tools.co.uk/land...l%20(1997).pdf
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:04 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykortman View Post
I just forwarded your response to my guy, what he says that he needs more than anything is a wiring schematic for the rear tail lights. I listened to him and he said something about there not being a ground back there, yada yada and then there are some wires sticking out of the transmission and he doesn't know where they go to yada yada. I dunno. But does anybody have a wiring schematic for this. Also, he states that Land Rover is very private about not sending schematics, perhaps they want to do all the Land Rover work, I dunno. I'll tell you this, though. The Land Rover dealerships I deal with in Seattle and Bellevue, whenever I get my car out of their shop it usually is returned to me in worse condition then when I brought it in and esp with wiring, they've been known to fix one problem while creating 3 more. It's a sad state of affairs.
Take it to someone who knows what he's doing. This is a pretty trivial diagnosis with a circuit tester light. The mechanic is clearly not capable of doing this work effectively. Pull your truck out before they f something up.

He states complete drivel about land rover not sharing schematics.. Defender schematics are all over the web. Search lhp28 and download a complete set.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights