Reverse light / fog light gremlins - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 8th, 2014, 08:32 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Reverse light / fog light gremlins

Hi,
I have had for some time the situation ( defender 90 50th = NAS 90 )that when selecting reverse, the reverse Light and the fog light come on, accompanied by a dim fog light icon in the dash. I have been told this is due to grounding issues.. And whilst I have hunted under the rear speaker boxes, I do not see a 'ground' an such. what am I missing?
Today, I decided to replace the old 'lunch box style' reverse and fog lights with round NAS and later defender style Wipac lights. Started with the reverse light and the same story as above. Then replaced the fog light, and now neither the reverse or the fog comes on and the dash icon for fog light is brightly lit when selecting reverse.
Advice please!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2014, 09:18 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Are they Wipac LED's or regular?

If they are LED's you may have wired them the wrong way round and this combined with the grounding issue is causing the symptoms described.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 8th, 2014, 10:54 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood

Hi, regular Wipac. Clear lenses hence the flog light bulb I'd red..beyond that regular.
Cheers, tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2014, 11:24 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Tim the ground may not be at the back of the truck ...

this may help ... http://macassemble.com/lrm/defender/...%20Library.pdf
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 8th, 2014, 12:28 PM
tim
Timothy Homewood

Reading it..cheers, tim
Old September 8th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The ROW trucks have a ground on the RH rear side (speaker box location). If you do not see one there then you can make one up for the lights in question. Just do something temporary to test to see if that helps any. If that takes care of it you can trace the black wire until it goes into the chassis. You may want to check the grounds on the bulkhead.
Old September 9th, 2014, 07:50 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood

Hi, solved, and thanks!
Went in, cleaned up and reconnected the bullet connectors, stripped out the towing cluster because I will not use it, found a previous 'hand' had connected the reverse light to the spare fog light cable on the same side (seems some of the connections are replicated on the rear harness to apply to both right and left hand drive cars).
and now it all works!! Took the time to replace the old speaker boxes with some new ones from a TD5 I had lying around which looks better than the old grey ones. Cheers, tim
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:36 PM
nickyfusco
Nicholas Fusco
1988 Defender 90 County

Hi, I have some gremlins of my own on my 1988 D90. Mr left brake light went and I bought new housing for it Bc I found the housing was the issue rather than the bulb. After installing it the same way by color, I found that when the headlights are on, only the left brake light stays illuminated, not the right, and when I hit the brakes the brightness does not change on the left...nor does the right brake light turn on to indicate braking. Secondly, when the headlights are off, only the right brake light functions. I assumed gremlins, but also suspected bad wiring.
Upon test swapping the green and red, I found the same scenario occur as above, yet applying the brakes did make the left brake light brighter when the headlights are on. The problems of the right side not working with headlights, and the left side not working without the headlights remains.
Has someone got some wiring experience and a suggestion? I don't like the "guess and check" method.

Big thanks.

I should send some update photos eventually as I am proud of my LR's revival after years of neglect.
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:02 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I know it sounds silly... But you do have a double filament bulb in a double filament spot...I often find single filaments in double holders and it causes feedback and shorting issues..
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:38 PM
nickyfusco
Nicholas Fusco
1988 Defender 90 County

thanks for the reply. I will check tomorrow, and perhaps use the old bulb. Interesting...
Old November 1st, 2014, 11:26 PM
nickyfusco
Nicholas Fusco
1988 Defender 90 County

success

So I reconnected the wiring, ignoring color coding, since the truck clearly had someone swapping wires back there and I almost got it to work, and my mechanic said...Try flipping the bulb (Duel Filiment) upside-down, because one side controls the highs (braking) and the other controls the lows (tail-light for night driving).
Upon doing this I was successful. A simple fix, and it was necessary to use the Duel Filiment bulb I believe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht