Reverse Lamp Switch Wiring - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 14th, 2006, 05:22 PM
fleabus
Dan
None :(

Reverse Lamp Switch Wiring

A while ago I installed a Hella Matador light above my license plate light which is currently hooked up to my reverse lamp. Works fine....

I am planning to install Genuine reverse fog lamp switch (on steering column) so I can control on/off without having to be in reverse gear.

Question: Where do I connect the two leads from the switch?

Extra credit: How do I wire the switch so that the corresponding dash indicator illuminates when the lamp is on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=4863

Check out the diagrams in that thread, let me know if you need to know more.
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:01 PM
fleabus
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=4863

Check out the diagrams in that thread, let me know if you need to know more.
Mike-

Thanks for the diagrams... but I am not sure if that is really what I am looking for.

If I understand the diagrams correctly, they are more geared for wiring up aftermarket lights (bumper lights, etc.).

I am specifically interested in knowing where the reverse light switch is activated. I would assume somewhere near the transmission. The leads from the switch I am using would need to bridge the connection to turn on the reverse light. Right?

Please let me know if I am way off.

-Dan

Edited To Clarify: I want to be able to have the reverse lamp turn on when the transmission is in reverse gear (as it works now) AND be able to turn on the reverse lamp when the transmissions is NOT in reverse gear (via the switch).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Just to clarify: aren't you using the reverse light switch now? i.e. have to be in reverse for Hella to be on?

As I understand it, you want to get away from that, go straight to a new switch, and also have the aux indicator light on the dash working. True?
Old April 15th, 2006, 11:33 AM
fleabus
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vick
Just to clarify: aren't you using the reverse light switch now? i.e. have to be in reverse for Hella to be on?

As I understand it, you want to get away from that, go straight to a new switch, and also have the aux indicator light on the dash working. True?
Yes and no.

Yes, currently the reverse light only turns on when I am in reverse. There is no switch now because I tapped the Hella light directly into the regular reverse lamp wiring. When the regular reverse lamp is on, so is the Hella.

I want the reverse light to turn on when I am in reverse (as it does now) AND I want to be able to use a switch to turn on the reverse light when the trasnmission is not in reverse.

Thanks again.

-Dan

Edited to add: Yeah, the dash indicator would be cool too, but I think I need to solve the switch problem first.
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Got it. Let me dig for a bit. I'm sure someone else knows it off the top of their head.
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK, rather then search for the wire on the transmission most just use the hot lead off of the stock reverse light. use that wire (splice another wire in line) to power the relay to turn on the new light. To be able to turn it on at any time just add a switch someplace one end to the battery the other to the relay for the lamp.
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM
fleabus
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
OK, rather then search for the wire on the transmission most just use the hot lead off of the stock reverse light. use that wire (splice another wire in line) to power the relay to turn on the new light. To be able to turn it on at any time just add a switch someplace one end to the battery the other to the relay for the lamp.
Mike-

Thanks... that makes perfect sense. I wanted to try and avoid having to run a line from the steering column all the way back to the reverse light. Is there any chance someone has a wiring diagram that shows where the light from the reverse light meets the fuse panel? I assume I can do the same thing Mike suggests at the panel instead.

On to the extra credit: How do I light up the rear fog indicator on the dash when the light is on (regardless of the switch position)?

-Dan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lamp, switch, wiring