Returning a tranny for repair under warranty - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Returning a tranny for repair under warranty

I got an R380 from a well respected vendor. Most of us know their work to be excellent, and I've gotten a perfect LT230 from them. Unfortunately, the gearbox is having shifting issues. I'll say right off the bat that he's been very good about spending time trying to diagnose the problem, and he's always returned my phone calls. I don't have a problem with him at all.

It was installed locally by an ASE certified mechanic, and has only a few hundred miles on it. I'm not asking you guys to diagnose the problem because the mechanic determined that it's not the clutch (fairly new) or shifter bearing wear, so he said it must be in the box. (For those interested, it grinds into second and third gear most of the time but not every time. 2nd is worse. I can make it shift properly almost every time by revving it to about 3000 rpm and let it drop to 2200 before I start to pull it into 2nd.)

Anyway, I've never done this before so I'm wondering what the protocol is for returning it. The vendor already agreed that it should come back to the shop and I'll get reimbursed for the shipping. Is it normal procedure for me to get reimbursed for the mechanic work too, or do I eat that cost? And why does it cost so much to ship a fricking box that takes a week to arrive when I can fly myself (who weighs roughly twice as much and takes up three times the space) to the same location in a few hours for half the cost?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Normally you would not be compensated for install times.

As far as shipping, without a bellhousing, it can go fedex oversized for less than $150 as it is under 150lbs.
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Thanks. I like to know what I can expect. I couldn't believe how much cheaper FedEx was than UPS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2012, 10:20 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If the shop had provided the tranny, they would cover the labor under warranty. Since you provided it, they are not responsible... You could ask the company you bought it from to help with the cost. Doubt they will, but you never know unless you ask.

Old July 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Before you go tearing into it, make sure the shifter is adjusted properly and the clutch is properly bled. I would hate to see you pull it for something like that not internal to the box.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
I bled the clutch many times just to be sure, and no air came out. I did need to adjust the shifter spring a bit to get the slop out which helped it go into 4th much better, but it still doesn't do 2nd or 3rd very good. The bearings in there also looked good.

Old July 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Hmmm. Out of interest what fluid are you using in the box?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Redline MTL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions