Retrofit TPM Systems? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Retrofit TPM Systems?

So has anyone taken the steps to fit one of the aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems? And if so would you care to comment on your research, purchase and operating experience?

There seem to be three main players. Hella's TC-400 at $219.

Orange Electric's P409S at $179.

And 3rd Eye at $249.

Note: SmartTire, one of the pioneers in retrofit systems no longer sell or support passenger car systems, though I wonder why one of their RV systems couldn't be used if you wanted to.

Edit: Schrader also offers a system..

Orange Electrics seems to be dedicated to TPMS system research through racing and other avenues, and supplies sensors for a large number of OEM systems. This would seem to indicate a level of refinement that may be a step above some others. Their Display also allows all four tire pressures to be displayed at once, but is a bit big and clunky looking in my opinion, and not sure where I'd consider mounting it...

Hella is of course a long standing player in the vehicle electronics field, and also supplies a number of OEM's, though it is my understanding from reading around that their system has been redesigned due to issues a couple of times. The Hella Display only allows one tire pressure/temperature to be viewed at a time, and has a separate control box that needs to be mounted within the vehicle, in addition to the display. Again, not a fan of the Display design aesthetics, and not sure where I'd consider mounting it...

The 3rd Eye system seems a bit sketchy based on their home website, and limited distributorships. Maybe it is just me, but I'm concerned as a result about its reliability, particularly from the standpoint of the stem sensors. Their display also shows only one tire's information at a time, however, it is the slickest looking display in my opinion, and looks like it could mount nicely right above the rear view mirror, or under the dash lip and almost look OEM...

Open to any and all experiences, and even opinions. Thanks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2009, 03:09 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

OOOOHHHHHH me likey the orange system. No wires what so ever to run. i WAS LOOKING AT THE HELLA SYSTEM BUT YOU HAVE TO RUN the wire FROM THE DISPLAY TO THE RECEIVER BOX. What a shame I just put new shoes on the old girl. Now I might have to remount the tires just to use this.
scott- keep us posted. especially if you go with the orange system.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

did you ever decide on a system? if so which one and how is it working out??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions