Retreads - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 28th, 2014, 03:10 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Retreads

In the past I have witnessed others have issues with Treadwright retreads, but often they choose not to speak ill of their experience in order to make themselves feel better about the choice of retreads over new tires. Even I have come close to doing the same, when I decided to put a four tires from Tire Recappers of Nashville on the back of my dually a while back. I didn't have tread problems, or irregular wear, but those things felt square with less than 1000lbs on the truck.
Well a few months back, I needed tires on my F250 and I got some retreads from Tire Recappers of Nashville again. This time they balanced great but within 500 miles they were showing massive wear on the outsides of the front. Yes the alignment was off, but the wear I'm talking about was indicating the compound was way too soft. Within 1500 miles I decided there wasn't even any point to aligning the truck anymore, at least until I replaced the tires that were already halfway worn out. Then yesterday on the highway, one of the inner tread lugs came completely off...

3000 miles from "new"... also the rears are starting to scallop, and all around the rubber is so soft it looks like its peeling off. And I promise you I haven't been doing smoky rolling burnouts...
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2014, 03:18 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Personally I would buy a newer set off of Craig's List before I would buy retreads.
Old August 28th, 2014, 03:33 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Personally I would buy a newer set off of Craig's List before I would buy retreads.
Usually I do, but in this area good used 285/75 are few and far between.

The lesson learned here, even though my recaps were $100 cheaper each than my new tires, in the end I spent 2/3rds of what I am spending on these new tires and they lasted only 3k.

Would have been ahead to just spend the extra money up front, and safer to boot.
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
stop drag racing with that 6.0

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:24 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quit buying crap from tire recappers. I have previous used a set of 285/75 M/Ts from tread wright when they were hi-tec retreading. I did probably 20k miles on them before I replaced them due to being fairly worn from wheeling. When I dismounted them I didn't really like the way the bead looked but that could have been partially due to me dismounting them on a machine at a base on my own. I have a new set of their bead to bead retreads on an 03 Dodge Ram 2500 and they have balanced easily with dyna beads, are wearing normally, have done roughly 9k miles in under a year, and have had zero problems with towing or anything else. They are the Watchman (dueler AT copy) in 265/70/r17.

There is a place near Tupelo that does retreads and warranties them to within 1/8" of tread. I'm not going to mess with them. I will likely buy another set of bead to bead retreads from treadwright.

I have had many different sets of tires in the past 11 years. My favorite have been the 7.50 michelin XZYs because they work great and show hardly any signs of wear after 20k miles.
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:56 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
stop drag racing with that 6.0
I've been beach cruising.
Old August 28th, 2014, 06:06 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Quit buying crap from tire recappers. I have previous used a set of 285/75 M/Ts from tread wright when they were hi-tec retreading. I did probably 20k miles on them before I replaced them due to being fairly worn from wheeling. When I dismounted them I didn't really like the way the bead looked but that could have been partially due to me dismounting them on a machine at a base on my own. I have a new set of their bead to bead retreads on an 03 Dodge Ram 2500 and they have balanced easily with dyna beads, are wearing normally, have done roughly 9k miles in under a year, and have had zero problems with towing or anything else. They are the Watchman (dueler AT copy) in 265/70/r17.

There is a place near Tupelo that does retreads and warranties them to within 1/8" of tread. I'm not going to mess with them. I will likely buy another set of bead to bead retreads from treadwright.

I have had many different sets of tires in the past 11 years. My favorite have been the 7.50 michelin XZYs because they work great and show hardly any signs of wear after 20k miles.
Treadwright started doing B2B because they couldn't get the caps on the carcasses without looking like shit. But it costs to remold the sidewalls, and can be harder to balance. Tire recappers does not give a shit, and theirs look even worse than treadwright.
I'm sure I could have raised hell with him and got another two or four tires, but after what happened here I am not interested in them for my truck and I couldn't ever sell them to someone else in good conscience, so I told the tire shop to toss two and I'll use the other two for a bonfire or something.
Old August 28th, 2014, 06:50 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Sounds like these are great if you're selling you truck but not good for much else; cheap way to learn a lesson, beats detread at highway speeds!
Old August 28th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
If I had a straight trail truck I'd run them
Old August 28th, 2014, 07:00 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
If I had a straight trail truck I'd run them
Sorry for your 'light in the loafers' disco

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions