Restore or Not to Restore - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Heathbarcrunch
Heath Glassman
In-between Rovers

Question Restore or Not to Restore

I have several restoration questions and I start to formulate my plan of attack to tackle my D90 restoration project head-on. I am always trying to make the best financial decisions, so I could try to ensure myself that I would be able to make wiser decisions/investments and at the very least...get my money back.

Is a vehicle worth more if you replace the original frame with a galvanized frame or if I keep the existing frame, which is in ok condition and would need probably a new rear cross member, which is rusted?

What about an extras like air conditioning? The D90 does not come with that option, but should I look for air conditioning fascia and controls and use the internal blowers/mechanical items from a newer setup, like the ones I saw on the rovers north website or just have the air conditioning kit they offer and get it installed?
What about the stero system?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
h
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the best financial decision with a defender is to make it last as long as possible and keep it for yourself as long as you can.
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:47 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Heath,

As far as adding 'options', like A/C, sure it will make the truck more appealing over one that doesn't...but if you don't need it, don't bother.

A galvanized frame...again, if it's not necessary...don't bother. From what I've been told, you're only opening a can of worms once you 'go there'. You'll end up finding a lot more stuff to fix. At that point, you're keeping the truck!

Keep the stereo install simple. If you start some 'pimp my ride' overhaul...that could be detrimental.

My opinion, buying a Defender isn't much different than buying a home. It's a coin flip in regards to making money on it. Sometimes you don't have to do anything but enjoy it and you will make out.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What the other guys said - the first thing you need to do is forget about getting your money back out of it, thats just really unlikely to happen. Galvy chassis are great, but you wont get a dollar for dollar ROI if you want to sell later.

If you want AC, get a complete kit, otherwise you'll be doing a lot of custom work and the price will creep upwards.
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:46 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
the best financial decision with a defender is to make it last as long as possible and keep it for yourself as long as you can.
seriously. I dropped $40k+ in mine, sold it for $27k. Now I am back at square one.
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
the best financial decision with a defender is to never buy one.

There, fixed it for you.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 12th, 2007, 03:05 AM
DBZ2009
Z
ex-1994 D90/ 2 j**ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
There, fixed it for you.

HA, amen!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions