Restoration Warranty ????? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 8th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

Restoration Warranty ?????

Is this a normal conversation??? Geared Restoration......21 months and counting on a Bottom up Ash Heller. Okay peeps what do you make of this conversation with person working on my truck..... Would love to hear from car restoring peeps.........

I sent......

And please send a copy of your warranty so I can forward it to my lawyer to assure it is okay just send to Ron's email

The reply.....

Cherie there is no warranty that we provide. We will absolutely stand behind our workmanship and will without question correct any issues on that front, however we aren't in a position to offer any coverage as far as parts failures and breakages are concerned.

We will do our best to make those types of things right, but I can't provide an ink and paper contract for that.

Geared Restoration At its finest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1950690602.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	134235  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2015, 07:36 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Yup. Thats exactly the way it is. If you would like a "warranty" with a little card for your wallet and a stack of papers and deductibles I'd suggest Honda or Toyota, I think Hyundai has a good one too.

Is it normal for you to blind side people with new demands once you've already entered into a transaction?
Old November 8th, 2015, 07:54 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
You lost me at 'peeps'.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
If you buy new, by all means yes. If you're buying a restored 25-31 year old rover, you're on your own. Land Rovers aren't inherently reliable vehicles, they can experience above average issues.

I'm not sure why you'd wait almost 2 years to ask about a warranty though... Wouldn't that be something you'd ask pre-resto?
Old November 8th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Yup. Thats exactly the way it is. If you would like a "warranty" with a little card for your wallet and a stack of papers and deductibles I'd suggest Honda or Toyota, I think Hyundai has a good one too. Is it normal for you to blind side people with new demands once you've already entered into a transaction?

Oh after 21 months it's not new demands ..... I asked could things be done And was always told yes and after $30,000 cash to help defer costs and no truck on a 8 month restoration I think I have been more than patient and reasonable

------ Follow up post added November 8th, 2015 08:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
You lost me at 'peeps'.
Lol sorry about the peeps
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:03 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
are you saying you were promised the vehicle in 8 months and 21 months later this photo is of its current condition?
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:05 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

That fine. But to your question about a warranty, I'd say no you don't get one.

As Zack has also mentioned, why did you not ask about a warranty on day one? Before any work had begun? If you had, he would of replied just like he did in the email and you would of had a choice to make. Months into a build you no longer have a choice.

You should have checked with your lawyer peeps before the transaction.
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
If you buy new, by all means yes. If you're buying a restored 25-31 year old rover, you're on your own. Land Rovers aren't inherently reliable vehicles, they can experience above average issues. I'm not sure why you'd wait almost 2 years to ask about a warranty though... Wouldn't that be something you'd ask pre-resto?

At this point I have no money and no truck still..... Way over due ..... Parts are missing .... My original roof has been replaced by another roof without informing us... It is painted Black instead of White found this out only because of photo attached ... No call no explanation until after the fact at this point I am concerned about what else can be incorrect or changed without notification

------ Follow up post added November 8th, 2015 08:10 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
are you saying you were promised the vehicle in 8 months and 21 months later this photo is of its current condition?
Yes 21 months and counting
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:15 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
It's 2015. I still don't understand how people still think the best available solution to a conflict is to slander someone on the Internet.

Seriously. Pick up the phone and work this shit out. It's in your best interest. Remember that the shop's alternative to working something out with you is handing over the truck half finished for free just to be rid of you. I'm not sure I would have gone nuclear on this one.

But hey, fire away I guess.

Old November 8th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
You lost me at 'peeps'.

Hahaha!!! Who says that!?!
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:25 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherbear View Post
.....counting on a Bottom up Ash Heller.
What does that even mean
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:33 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
You should be aware your original roof was most likely ribbed... the smooth roof in the photo is an upgrade...so it may very well be that you are unaware of the fact that the "changes" are not incorrect but actually improvements and color will be addressed in paint..
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:36 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
You should be aware your original roof was most likely ribbed... the smooth roof in the photo is an upgrade...so it may very well be that you are unaware of the fact that the "changes" are not incorrect but actually improvements and color will be addressed in paint..
Not having the alpine windows, I would call it a down grade, a huge downgrade. It looks like a parts truck now.
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Something just doesn't add up with the op.
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:38 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
missed the windows.
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
That fine. But to your question about a warranty, I'd say no you don't get one. As Zack has also mentioned, why did you not ask about a warranty on day one? Before any work had begun? If you had, he would of replied just like he did in the email and you would of had a choice to make. Months into a build you no longer have a choice. You should have checked with your lawyer peeps before the transaction.
Thanks for your opinion and sorry if peeps offended you....and since you asked After being the second truck in a new shop that didn't even have a name, after $30,000 plus cash to help and being told they would stand behind their work , after being told 100s of excuses as to the delay which never once was because of ideas all parties came up with to better the build, 100s of unanswered phone calls, texts or emails and finding out that things such as the roof were changed both paint color and actual roof as in that is not my roof in the picture ... I am becoming more concerned with what else has changed and is it going to work ....21 months later I have no truck no money and no answer as to when my truck will be completed ,,, but I know of at least 4 trucks that have left the shop that my truck was placed on the back burner for ... So hopefully this clarifies my question that I put out to the Community...
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:44 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Do you understand the difference between a warranty and a "shop standing behind their workmanship"?

Once you accept that answer I think we can all move onto your other, many, issues.
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
It's 2015. I still don't understand how people still think the best available solution to a conflict is to slander someone on the Internet.

Seriously. Pick up the phone and work this shit out. It's in your best interest. Remember that the shop's alternative to working something out with you is handing over the truck half finished for free just to be rid of you. I'm not sure I would have gone nuclear on this one.

But hey, fire away I guess.

I am in no way taking sides, but sometimes picking up the phone does not work.

Picking up the phone and calling someone or simply sending an email seems like the easy solution, but is often times a one sided effort.
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:51 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Deleted...
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
I am in no way taking sides, but sometimes picking up the phone does not work. Picking up the phone and calling someone or simply sending an email seems like the easy solution, but is often times a one sided effort.
I have picked p the phone ...it just rings .. I am promised a new date it comes and goes unfortunately we invested in the team be putting money up front to help someone start their dream sooo it's not that easy ... I have not slandered anyone only asked a question and reported the facts of my situation ...and actually when someone else on another forum posted slander about this Business we went to bat for them and had it removed within 50 minutes of the post after numerous phone calls about the post since it is known our truck has been in this shop so don't judge me please I have supported this shop and been quiet for 20 months while I have no truck or money I have been understanding of life issues causing delays but enough is enough I a very concerned and this is why I ask the question

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions