Restoration Warranty ????? - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 10th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Wait a second...isn't your husband's D90 the same truck that Geared uses in their promotional images? What's the relationship there?
No I believe the truck you speak of is a NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2015, 09:11 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I texted Ash. Hopefully he will chime in soon.
Did he respond?
Old November 10th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Did he respond?
He might only be allowed one phone call for now....

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Let's go easy on the purple. He is a bit sensitive about it now, but Kellgren had a purple PT Cruiser for a while. -Jeff
Jeff I'm a She ...... Cherbear and I had a purple PT cruiser as well 👍🏼
Old November 10th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Let's go easy on the purple. He is a bit sensitive about it now, but Kellgren had a purple PT Cruiser for a while.

-Jeff
I had held my tongue on that one, but I remembered!

------ Follow up post added November 10th, 2015 10:53 AM ------

There are also other 110 builds MIA at this point! No names...
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Cherie and Rob were the first two full-blown restorations we took on as a new shop, and admittedly we were overly ambitious since the idea of building two killer trucks would 'put us on the map' so to speak.

Through the course of the builds we experienced a number of serious hurdles, including a severely delayed container, a civil suit with Safari HP, a rocky breakup with an awfully vocal former business partner, multiple painters flaking halfway through the job, Bryan taking time off due to health issues within his family, and all sorts of other fun things. Needless to say, we got off to a rough start and the two projects suffered.

We completed Rob's truck around six weeks ago and it turned out absolutely gorgeous. Immediately after completion I delivered it to him, however there were two issues that I made abundantly clear upon delivery: the truck was anemic, and there was an oil leak. The former was an issue that I noted when the truck was dropped off with us, and upon inspection the turbocharger was completely worn out which is par for the course on most Tdi's we see come in. While the truck was apart we had the turbocharger rebuilt by a local shop and that was that. When I drove the truck after the restoration and it felt no different, especially given the addition of larger tires, a cage and other heavy protection, I concluded that this particular 300 was just tired and gutless. Short of a timing belt job we didn't do anything else that could have affected the performance of the engine. The latter was an oil leak that developed from the inner crank seal on the drive up. After troubleshooting the truck in his driveway for a couple of hours before my flight home, I left Rob with explicit instruction:

1. Have a shop install a boost gauge and get a baseline as to whether the turbo is working as it should so that I can help troubleshoot from there.
2. Have the front crank seal replaced. We never touched it, but I saw it as a good gesture.
3. Send me the bill.

Aside from a very brief conversation regarding a couple of loose parts still in my possession, that's the last I've heard from him. I can't help but find it slightly comical that he was able to dodge my phone calls all last week regarding his outstanding balance, but was awfully quick to chime in here. I know he's been in contact with several of my customers, including Cherie, and this must be the 'event' he promised if things didn't go his way. I have to tip my hat to you, Rob -- this was all very well orchestrated.

As for Cherie's truck: Yeah. It's purple. And it's damn nice -- color aside.

She's been getting our nearly undivided attention, and we're better staffed now so people aren't spread so thinly across projects. It's been coming together very nicely and we've been making a serious effort to get it knocked out as quickly as possible without quality taking a hit. I would estimate that we could have the truck completed by the first week of December, however she will be coming this afternoon to retrieve it and someone else will be finishing what we started. In her own words it was 'outside pressure' that led to the decision. You can read into that however you like.

So there you have it. Some of you know me personally, and many of you have done business with me on some scale with what I believe are largely positive opinions. This isn't ULC and we aren't churning out shit product. We've had our own issues but they're largely behind us at this point, and the recent handful of small projects that have come in and out of the shop have all received very positive feedback. As I mentioned, we're better staffed, there aren't nearly as many 'distractions', and we're getting things done at a pace that is conducive to our customers expectations. We're making a conscious effort to improve on a daily basis and will continue to do so for as long as our doors are open.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

Old November 10th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you did the timing belt and did not replace the front crank seal, that really is your shop's fault. Just saying.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:54 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I have a question, did you replace the 200 TDI that was installed in AZ or is this a different truck…

And not to a nay sayer, but the song your singing has been played lot around here…
Old November 10th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Absolutely not. I did overnight them a replacement turbo after theirs let go, but I have not laid a hand on that truck.

And that's fine. I'm not here looking to win people over or present a sob story. From this point forward I'll allow our work to do the talking and let the public form their own opinions.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old November 10th, 2015, 02:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What happened to the windows in the roof?
Old November 10th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

We swapped the original ribbed roof for a later smooth roof because, unlike several other outfits, I refuse to hammer the ribs down to accommodate the SD cage. They're not easy to come by on this side of the pond and the only one I was able to find didn't have alpine glass.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old November 10th, 2015, 02:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Holyshit purple and a SD cage. When will the horror stop?
Old November 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
They're not easy to come by on this side of the pond and the only one I was able to find didn't have alpine glass.

-Ash
What is your process for informing the customer of such a change? Specifically the no glass.
Old November 10th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What happened to the color of the roof? Cherie says she asked for white.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 10th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
What is your process for informing the customer of such a change? Specifically the no glass.

Sending a picture of my truck so far ....and seeing the roof is not mine ..... That's the notification process ...Ash dodges hour calls and text messages...
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:04 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherbear View Post
Sending a picture of my truck so far ....and seeing the roof is not mine ..... That's the notification process ...Ash dodges hour calls and text messages...
That is too bad. The next thing you know it will be a panel delivery. Any good news to report? Is your 110 on a Jerr-Dan and heading home?
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

To begin with Ash ...you in no way shape or form can quote me because you have not answered or returned any of my calls or text messages. Secondly there is no Outside pressure, in all actuality I should have pulled my truck a year ago but I still believed in the Team. Thirdly I am here pulling my truck as we speak packing my parts with Bryan's assistance ....where are you ?.... Off hiding somewhere QUOTING ME .... REALLY.... AND lastly there is NO possible way you would have finished my truck by December ..... But you keep on trying to sell your garbage....I think the community knows the truth...that is all that matters to me. In the end, no thanks to you, I will have a BADASS TRUCK.... And you will be still trying to sell your lies to anyone who will listen....This experience with Geared Restoration has take up far too much of my happiness...I have become ugly and I don't like me in this way so I am moving forward! Oh and for all you Purple haters my truck is Fabulous.....
Old November 10th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Good luck to you Cherie...I hope you get on the road with "Barney" soon
Old November 10th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
good luck to you cherie...i hope you get on the road with "barney" soon
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-308405007.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	134348

😎😎😎😎😎
Old November 10th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherbear View Post
Attachment 134348

😎😎😎😎😎
That is an incredible photo with perfect placement at the best time

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions