Restoration Warranty ????? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
As we all are well aware - no shop can really stand up to the ridicule it gets from folks if something is found to be amiss in a "restoration" .... one bad egg and all....So I am sure Geared is taking it to heart when you told them you wanted a full restoration, versus a "rebuild", a "fix", or a "repair job" ....you need to actually go in to the shop, talk to people doing the work, talk with Ash and sort it out.

Online slander, name calling or bitching gets you nowhere, anytime, any day.

And please Cherie - FIX YOUR GRAMMAR
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2015, 09:09 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Asking for a warranty after purchase? Casually dropping the word "lawyer" as intimidation? I don't know who this Cherie Herndon is, but she sounds like a trainwreck waiting to happen. Does she understand what a warranty is? A warranty on a complete bolt-on affair? An engine warranty? Transmission warranty? Transfer case? Differentials? On all the old junk that came with the truck that she paid to have essentially disassembled, cleaned, painted, and bolted back together?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be down on anyone, but seriously...does "Cherie Herndon" actually think we're going to sympathize with her? For what?

Also, that picture shows an absolutely awesome looking Defender. What's the problem?
Old November 9th, 2015, 10:04 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
You lost me at 'peeps'.
Me too, peeps?

Buy a new jeep if you want warranty, otherwise get out your spanners and be ready when something breaks... and something will always break.
Take ownership of your ride or get rid of it...

------ Follow up post added November 9th, 2015 10:05 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Asking for a warranty after purchase? Casually dropping the word "lawyer" as intimidation?
That's the best example of posturing I have seen in a long time.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2015, 10:07 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I'm really sorry to hear this project has gone sideways for both you and the shop. I'm sure the shop is less than thrilled as well. These projects are incredibly detail oriented and there can be no guarantees IMO what it will cost to get to the end. In the shop's defense it is a double edged sword because they can't turn out a substandard product. As others have said it is too late to discuss written warranties now (though it would not have been out of question in the beginning IMO) and I too believe the place to resolve this is with the shop owner, not here. Good luck.
If you've done everything you can and the shop owner is no longer returning phone calls I think you have every reason to let the world know not to use that shop.
Old November 9th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherbear View Post
I have picked p the phone ...it just rings .. I am promised a new date
So are they picking up or not.......
Old November 9th, 2015, 10:53 AM
The Regular Guy
Rob
None

I am a customer of Geared Restoration, which I will go into in greater detail soon. My truck was delivered to me 14 months past the promised due date. It was without any doubt the most unpleasant business transaction that I have ever been involved in. Regarding communication with the owners of Geared Restoration Andrew S. Heller and Bryan E. Napier, it was unfortunately normal to go weeks without a response to repeated calls, texts, or emails.

I have spoken to Cherie regarding our trucks and can confirm her unfortunate situation is quite real. My defender was one of the trucks at Geared Restoration during the same period as her truck.

The most recent communication I had with Geared was being threatened with a punitive and spurious bill (five weeks after my truck was delivered to me in poor mechanical condition).

More to follow.

Rob
Old November 9th, 2015, 11:05 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
What is with all the hostility directed to Cherie? We can do better than this.
Old November 9th, 2015, 11:13 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Well, I certainly don't mean to be hostile.
Old November 9th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Just sounds like another Rover shop that is fine at doing the work, but not very good at the business management side of things.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 9th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 9th, 2015, 11:24 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
As we all are well aware - no shop can really stand up to the ridicule it gets from folks if something is found to be amiss in a "restoration" .... one bad egg and all....So I am sure Geared is taking it to heart when you told them you wanted a full restoration, versus a "rebuild", a "fix", or a "repair job" ....you need to actually go in to the shop, talk to people doing the work, talk with Ash and sort it out.

Online slander, name calling or bitching gets you nowhere, anytime, any day.

And please Cherie - FIX YOUR GRAMMAR
I love how when it's someone you care about it is suddenly online slander. You love defending these guys. If she can't post on a forum where there could be other customers or people in the know where can she turn. She obviously can't get a response out of the restorer.

With that I will say any dealings I have had with Ash have been good but no money was exchanged so it counts for nothing.

I feel bad for the OP because she wrote her post in broken english. We can all sit here and say how a restoration is very detailed and can take much longer than expected, blah, blah but that is no excuse for avoiding a customers calls and emails.

I bet if she called called from a unknown number she would have gotten a response. That's usually how I would get an ex girlfriend to respond to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globallandrovers View Post
Essentially, you should have brought up the warrantee at the offset.

When we enter into a build we set out our terms in the first email.

All deposits are non refundable. We often take a 50% deposit or more, and the structured payments on stages of work completed.

What most people fail to understand is, a build depending on the amount of work done, can amount to thousands of hours labour.

In the UK good Defender parts (second hand) the prices are going through the roof. New parts are getting harder to find and they are dear too.

All our vehicles are built in the USA using parts supplied by us in the UK.

We are happy to discuss a warrantee at the offset. and as the vehicle is built in the USA we would be happy to rectify any niggles that may arise.
And Julian stop using every damn thread as a commercial for your business. You have zero track record and it's not helping you sell anything.
Old November 9th, 2015, 11:33 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Well, I certainly don't mean to be hostile.
Yes, nothing hostile here:

https://youtu.be/9LpCIiwarOk?t=40s
Old November 9th, 2015, 11:36 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
There is obviously an enthusiasm vs reality issue at hand here.

Geared might have bit off more than they could chew in terms of vehicles, could have lost staff, could have had a few projects go awry, may have underquoted then over delivered on a few projects that killed cash flow, its all here-say anyway.

I think one of the biggest issues people face in restoration of these vehicles is both the simplicity and the complexities of it all. Sure a frame up resto seems straightforward, its the unknown issues that arise both in parts sourcing and condition of the original vehicle. The reason the OP is here is because they exhausted all other options aside from going down there and resetting expectations.

I did it with Urban several times, and every time I did I managed the whole story as to what was going on, but I approached it with understanding not demanding.

Moral of the story, they company restoring your vehicle wants to get it out of their shop, they want to have a happy customer, and they would like to stay in business. There are two kinds of squeaky wheels, some get the WD-40 Can and some get thrown in the landfill, make sure your approach is democratic and tactful and with some patience you will be sitting in your vehicle. 19 Months seems long, my build took 24; the pain is real but I can tell you that my truck was in the same state as your up until it go finished in 6 weeks.
Old November 9th, 2015, 12:15 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
What is with all the hostility directed to Cherie? We can do better than this.
Exactly.. its not like she posted this because the car is a few months late.. Clearly this is a last ditch effort to get a response... Obviously two sides to every story and hopefully Ash can explain his side and get Cherie her truck..
Old November 9th, 2015, 12:21 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If this was the intent, then can we change the title of the post to reflect its intended purpose? This post has nothing to do with a warranty and is therefore incredibly confusing.
Old November 9th, 2015, 12:23 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I agree with Ed. She is using the wrong term and confusing everyone.
Old November 9th, 2015, 12:36 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
It's time to get Ash's side of the story.

Old November 9th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I love how when it's someone you care about it is suddenly online slander. You love defending these guys. If she can't post on a forum where there could be other customers or people in the know where can she turn. She obviously can't get a response out of the restorer...
hmmm...not sure what makes you think i care about this guy...never met him. All I am saying is posting on a fucking forum to a bunch of dudes across the country, whom you don't know, about how you want something dealt with is stupid. You walk in to the shop and deal with it, or take someone who can.
Old November 9th, 2015, 02:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I think most customers will first try to exhaust calling, emailing, etc before going to a forum.

Customers are difficult. I'm sure all of these shops have horror stories about customer demands but as a shop you have to deal with it or you won't be in business long. You take the good with the bad realizing your actions affect your reputation and future business.

There is no excuse for not returning a customers calls or emails. Sure if they call 50 times a day you manage them and set expectations but avoidance does nothing for longevity.

I hope the shop works it out with this woman and she posts a glowing review about it being a misunderstanding.
Old November 9th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The problem with most of the businesses that gets these sort of threads going, is that they are very poor at both the scheduling of their work loads and setting customer expectations. If you go into a project and properly estimate that the work will take 6 months, assuming no unknown problems and a realistic understanding of shop load, you tell the customer it will be ready in twelve months. If you do finish on time, the customer will sing your praises. If problems do come up and it takes nine months, the customer will still be very happy and you do not even need to mention a problem occurred. The big side benefit is that your time is not consumed with continually having ALL your clients asking why their project is overdue. It is all very simple and these shops need to get someone that understands customer relations and business management to do some training.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions