Restoration: Staying Organized - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 29th, 2015, 11:37 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Restoration: Staying Organized

Hi,

I would like to ask those of you who has tackled defender restoration projects.

How did you stay organized? Both physical organization and conceptually.

I have seen people printing out exploded diagrams and use that as a road map for small pieces of projects. Like Diagrams with parts and part numbers?

Is there such thing for Defenders?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2015, 12:06 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Ziplock, the Haynes Manual, and this forum will be your best friends.

Granted, I haven't gone full monty, but I've followed many resto threads. It seems most first timers with big balls take lots of photos and index every take off piece and keep them grouped and contained in well labeled ziplocks. Some of the old guard of this forum build them in their sleep.
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:11 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

An organized storage system, index cards, ziplock bags, divided plastic storage containers, a good memory and lots of pictures. Since I have restoration projects that have stretched over twenty years so its real important to document stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2015, 12:33 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Take lots of pictures, LOTS! Ziplock freezer bags and a Sharpie marker help a lot too
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
zip locks and sharpie markers, yellow paint pens, tan masking tape and a sharpie for labeling non obvious wiring connections, iphone pictures, plastic tubs labeled by project etc. Still, as anyone who has been here will tell you
you end up with piles since most rover parts wont fit in ziplocks or totes.
We usually have several trucks pulled apart so marking components with a yellow paint pen makes sure that certain large things piled together stay with the right truck-axles for instance

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:43 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Thanks for all the replies. I see a repeating theme. Documentation.

Knowing that I will have many bolts and nuts combo that I will need to cut/grind/hammer/torch/xxxx out, do you guys go to hardware store with shopping list each time you need something or do have stash of bolts and nuts in your shop?
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:52 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Pictures pictures pictures.

Semper Fi!
Old December 30th, 2015, 01:03 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende View Post
Do you guys go to hardware store with shopping list each time you need something or do have stash of bolts and nuts in your shop?
My wife keeps my nuts in a drawer.

But in all seriousness, fastenal and west marine are better/safer bets if you are going with some SS and for the odd metrics.
Old December 30th, 2015, 01:36 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Metric 10.9 Hex Flange bolts & Nuts M6 M8 M10 229pcs

Would this be useful?
Old December 30th, 2015, 06:09 AM
jwb
Jason
1988 110 CSW

Quote:
If you wish to use the same as OEM, I don't think you'll find that many flange applications. I prefer hex and washers.

A high grade kit is convenient to have in the garage for various projects, but it will not come with many of the sizes/lengths you'll need. For a single restoration I think money is better spent going through the parts manual, making a specific list, and buying what you need. Though I still tend to over-buy common sizes at Fastenal and add to my fastener drawers.
Old December 30th, 2015, 09:46 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

McMaster.com is my go to source for most nuts/bolts. I got turned off to Fastenal, when they gave me a hard time about returning an entire bag of bolts where ~1/3 of the bolts were defective, heads milled wrong, goobered threads etc.
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:21 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you are organized in life, you will have no problems in your restoration. The main issues tend to be immediate, like 'where the heck is that (unobtanium) part that was just here on the bench 5 minutes ago?' or long term such as having to wait two or three weeks for some bloody bloke in the UK to ship you the part you won on ebay.co.uk a week ago.
Sometimes little things like that can stall a project. Have a plan B at all times.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I see a repeating theme. Documentation.

Knowing that I will have many bolts and nuts combo that I will need to cut/grind/hammer/torch/xxxx out, do you guys go to hardware store with shopping list each time you need something or do have stash of bolts and nuts in your shop?
I go to the local fastener store a couple times a week.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 30th, 2015, 10:34 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I recommend not only pictures, but video too. I found times where the pictures I took didn't have the one thing I needed, but I thankfully walked around the frame with my phone on video mode and found a different angle that showed exactly what I needed.

Also, as for baggies, instead of using freezer bags, you can go on Amazon or Ebay and get some thick bags of various sides for cheap.

Also, I'd recommend at the end of each day, doing an inventory and a clean up of everything you've taken off and making sure it is in the right place. There have been times where I was in a rush to get out of the garage at the end of the night, and by the time I returned next, I forgot what those bolts I had sitting on my workbench were for.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:20 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Im on the tail end of a post accident repair, modification and refresh on a classic. I am a rover mechanic by trade and of course I had to divide my time between customers vehicles and my own.
just as every one has suggested label and document everything including storage location.

the large components are obvious but, when you get to small things like the hair pin for the hood support or the washer sprayers which you remember putting somewhere, you will think back to this thread and either
become enraged or enjoy your organization and or lack there of.

do not allow your self to become sidetracked or distracted, stay on the job at task until done or you will soon be over your head.
be ready to spend lots of mindless hours with very little to no progress to show.
in the end your patience and perseverance will pay off, good luck.
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:46 AM
skitzy
Nick
91 D90 2.5NA doing LS Gen IV Thing

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I go to the local fastener store a couple times a week.
Uncle Doug,

Hopefully it is close by.

Also, congratulations on the postings rollover 9999 -> 10,000!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	odometer.png
Views:	60
Size:	483.4 KB
ID:	138174  
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:31 PM
skitzy
Nick
91 D90 2.5NA doing LS Gen IV Thing

Registry
vehicle restoration software?

Has anyone tried vehicle restoration software, or has that already been covered elsewhere on here, or on other thread?

Vehicle Project Planner Vehicle Project Planner - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
"Restoring a classic automobile, or even just performing regular maintenance, is a tough job. Vehicle Project Planner offers tracking tools that make such jobs easier. A no-nonsense, database-like interface can hold up to 99 vehicles at one time, tracking maintenance or restoration projects down to the finest details. A comprehensive database for tracking auto parts makes it easy to find out how much you've spent on a particular car. Linked, detailed vendor information lets you quickly access your favorite sites when you're in the market for more parts. After compiling a certain amount of data, you'll be able to run reports and print graphs that illustrate your maintenance history and how much you've spent over a given period of time. Whether you're an auto hobbyist or just want to track your car's maintenance, Vehicle Project Planner is a solid, no-frills option."
Old December 30th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

I've done a few now, easiest are ones were the ones I've taken apart myself, the worst was a box of bits - never again .!!!
The 1st one I did I labeled everything with little yellow card labels on a bit of string .. 2yrs on the card had disinterated in the oily mess or the sharpie had faded Hmm..

Now I take lots of pictures - handy as proof of build when you sell, I now use yellow plastic labels and a parts marker - not as neat but it works.

Buy yourself a parts manual as it shows how the assemblies go together as well as the part #, think of it as a series of modules, chassis, axle, brakes, wheels..etc then you can complete a module and put it by, that way you are winning lots of small battles.

I've bought a couple of projects that someone stripped & put into boxes and then though Oh shit...

Have fun and your on the right forum for help..

Regards
Gren
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:48 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Just as everyone else has mentioned: LOTS of pictures, neurotically reading (and re-reading) threads here and elsewhere on the web, workshop manual, bits in labeled ziplock bags- sometimes i tape the bag of bits to the removed part.

Sometimes it's helpful to draw a diagram/trace a part on cardboard, then place bolts into respective holes in the cardboard as you remove them from the truck. This trick is especially helpful on the water pump since it seems that each of the ~15 bolts are different sizes and lengths!

I like to use blue painter's tape to label hoses and electrical connectors with where they should go upon re-installation.
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:56 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
LABEL LABEL LABEL LABEL LABEL!

The better you label things, parts, bags, pics, the easier your life with be the smoother and faster things will go.

Also zip-ties with integrated labels are the sex... makes easy work of all keeping all the wiring harnesses and bullet connectors straight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
restoration